“Very tired in the morning”

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Luebeck
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Lubeck
Berlin, Germany
“Very tired in the morning”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We decided to stay at this hotel because it looked pretty modern in the photos and the previous reviews were quite OK. The place was somewhat a disappointment. And we really did not sleep too well.

We arrived late in the evening by taxi and were a little surprised by the surroundings - not the prettiest part of otherwise very beautiful old Lübeck. Our taxi driver told us the hotel used to be a residential house, and by the time we entered the room it was clear: the small elevator took us to a room that really felt like a very small flat, in which the old balcony had been transformed into a working area. The room seemed clean (even though the soap dispenser was lying on the floor), but even after several years of marriage it felt almost too intimate with the glass bathroom walls and the very small bed. On the floor plan it actually seemed to be registered as a single room... (I believe we got this - rather pricy - tiny room because we booked it through a hotel search engine. Will not happen again!) And there was a continuous thumping sound coming from somewhere.

We decided to visit the top floor bar for after dinner drinks. The place was crowded and there was a very loud private party going on. That was the sound we had heard in the room. When we left, we asked the waitress, whether the party would continue 'til late. "Not very late", she answered. Well, for a hotel guest on the 3rd floor, several below the top floor, a loud party continuing until three in the morning was a bit too late.

After very little proper sleep I wasn't very happy when we got up to the breakfast room (again the top floor restaurant), but noticing that the staff was not able to keep up with the great number of customers really made me want to leave as soon as possible. There were hardly any plates available, the buffet was lacking things the whole time, and the tables were not properly cleaned - and the restaurant was really hot. Some members of the staff even seemed to be the same ones as the night before!

I know that big parties are an important source of income for mid-sized hotels like this one, but even the most important private parties shouldn't make other guests lose their sleep or make the restaurant environment irritatingly loud. It might also be a good idea to give the proper size rooms to couples - the smaller ones are simply too small for two people.

The nice service at the reception was actually the best thing about the whole experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nellcote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I suddenly needed to stay two nights in Lübeck, and this hotel had good reviews - so I booked it with the iPad on my car without visiting its website. Actually, the building is located near the downtown, the rooms are clean, the breakfast room at the 8th floor is beautiful and people at the reception are gentle.

But: some or most of the rooms have bathrooms with glass walls - when you are in the bathroom your girlfriend or your husband or anybody else in the room can see you while cleaning yourself. Yes, the WC is in another room, anyway I (still?) think that to have some privacy when cleaning yourself is a good thing.

These transparent bathrooms seem to be a plus - when I asked at the reception another room, with a normal bathroom, the girl seemed surprised. She gave me another room at the first floor, anyway not as nice as the previous one - and with the window facing to a balcon. Now, this balcon was shared with my neighbours, who could access thorugh a door, and who loved to stay there chatting, and drinking, and smoking. So while I was trying to sleep, I had this couple 2 meter far away. They talked softly, anyway, it was like sharing the same room. Later they had quite a lot of sex, and due the thin walls I was in the action - so I left the room for a walk, at 2.00 am.

The breakfast was simply bad, the omelette and the coffee had a bad smell, the cheese was old and bad.

This could be an excellent hotel, but consider the bathroom problem, and if you have a light sleep, consider the noises coming from the other rooms. In my case, breakfast was included, but if it is not your case, you can find many Bäckerei around with fresh food.

Check out is at 11.00.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andreasbln
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Hotel IV Jahreszeiten is a new, modern hotel with a sleek, trendy design. Everything looks very neat and clean. The hotel is located on the northern approach road, about 3 kilometers from the center. I stayed here 1 night in transit during my bike ride. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. My room (# 714) was spacious and the bathroom was equiped with an excellent shower. The bar and restaurant are on the 8th floor, with a magnificent view of Lubeck. The restaurant is also popular with nonresidents. I have dined at the restaurant, enjoyed the food but the service was a bit slow, the restaurant team was definitely understaffed. I slept very well and have not noticed any interference or noise from outside or adjacent rooms. The breakfast buffet was of exceptional quality. The hotel offers free WIFI. Many thanks for the good service regarding a shelter for my bike.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo