“Expensive youth hostel- stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Nordig

Hotel Nordig
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Flensburg
Melbourne, Australia
“Expensive youth hostel- stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have absolutely no idea how this an 88% rating on tripadvisor.
I rely heavily on tripadvisor as a source information on hotels & I also contribute to hotel ratings. We paid $170 a night so naturally we had certain expectations which all failed to be met.
I was a little concerned when we pulled up as the outside of the hotel looks a little shabby & run down, nothing like the photo used by the hotel.
I was encouraged by the free off street parking & free wifi.
The reception area also doubles as a bar.
The check in ok & staff are helpful. Reception closes at 9pm
There is a musty old smell though out the hotel- you do get use to it but it is there.
The room is a good size but it's painted a bright mid tone chartreuse green colour- takes a little getting use to... There is also a post of iran in our room- interesting choice of artwork given we are in Flemsburg Germany.The bathroom is very small & very dated in cream & brown tones.
There is no fridge, no iron & no clock & no safe & no air conditioning & no tissues in the room.
This is very very basic accommodation & for the price not good value at all.
The hotel is about 2 km out of town- so not a great location either. The hotel fronts on to a subway type freeway- thankfully we are not staying here during the week.
We were woken in the morning by the footsteps in the room above us- so sound proofing is an issue.
We rang reception to request an iron & were told that there was only 2 people working & they were busy with breakfast, if we wanted an iron could we go & pick it up from reception. We were also told that there was no ironing board & they suggested we iron our clothes on the bed.
Breakfast was fairly basic & acceptable.
This hotel lacks so much for its price position. This is a youth hostel standard but at a 4 or 5 star price- so disappointing on all levels.
My advise stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and i booked this hotel after reading about it on Trip advisor. We stayed in March 2012. On site parking was great, and the breakfasts and free Internet were also a good deal. Staff were friendly and helpful. However on asking for an iron, one could not be found. The other comment is on the rooms. Ours was nothing like the photos. The decor was terrible ! Multi coloured bright walls, and tiny bathroom. However it was handy to the city and harbour so all in all a godd experience

Room Tip: It seems some rooms have been renovated....ask for a newly decorated room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

I booked based on other reviews, and thanks to my fellow travellers! After a late drive from Hamburg, a very warm welcome from the owner. The hotel is on the north side of Flensburg, about 1km from the centre and an easy walk to the shore. The room is spotlessly clean and freshly decorated. Pretty new and good condition bathroom has a nice shower. Radiators in the rooms keep it warm, though you need to check the thermostats on each one- if the previous guest has turned them up or down it might be colder or warmer than you like. Adequate desk for work, comfortable beds, free wifi and a well stocked breakfast buffet. Decor is entertainly colourful. Great value.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank avermes
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

Nice homely atmosphere, very clean and modern spacious rooms, very nice staff, free and good breakfast, free parking and free wifi - what more can you ask for?

We were very positively surprises about this hotel, it has charm, something that a lot of hotels lack these days.

The breakfast-room was very cosy, can of coffee at the table in an instant, freshly made scrambled eggs, and a good selection and good quality of everything.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and go out of their way to help you. A contrast to the Aalborg hotel the night before...

So, nothing to remark on the negative...? Well, to be fare, it was a long walk to the centre and there was some traffic noise. But as other reviewers have stated, take a taxi or bus and bring some earplugs (or close the window) and you're all set! It's not a big issue.

To add it up - we will without a doubt stay here again the next time we visit Flensburg.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Leon_Norway
Hillerod, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

Fine place to stay. The staff is helpful and competant and the owner is extremely pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
U.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

In 2008, I had to attend a 2-week business conference, and all the hotels in central Flensburg were full. I had to "settle" for this hotel, about 5 minutes out of town, towards Gluecksurg. Because of the fantastic friendliness and professionalism of the staff I had to return in 2009 for the following year's conference. The rooms are small but sufficient; immaculate, and the beds very comfortable. Complimentary bottled water ("with gas") is provided in your room, too. The complimentary breakfast buffet includes eggs, sausage, cereal/muslix, 3 types of juices, fresh fruit, numerous breads and cheeses, yogurt, salmon... quite the variety.

During the work week I would start off at the breakfast buffet, then head off to my conference. The front desk also happens to be a bar, so my colleagues and I would often wind down the day at the front desk for some drinks, head back to our rooms to clear emails, then meet back at the bar to head out to dinner. There are several very good restaurants within walking distance, or you can drive 5 minutes into Flensburg. The free wireless internet was convenient, although the signal was sometimes weak, and there is no business center to allow printing of documents, but I never really needed to print anything.

The area around the hotel has a neighborhood feel (see photos). If you're at the hotel in the daytime during the week, you'll occasionally hear the school bells across the street, and see all the kids riding their bikes to school. There's a drycleaner right up the street, and a several local grocery stores around the corner for bread, food, toiletries, etc. For souvenirs and tourist stuff, you need to head into town. If you're looking for a place to home-base while you see the Northern Germany countryside, or staying for business this would be the place to stay. There's not much to actually do in the hotel (other than hang out at the bar), but the rooms are extremely comfortable and clean, and it's not in the middle of town, so it's nice and quiet. The in-room TV's only have local TV coverage, so I watched a lot of BBC, as the only english channel. I was not bothered by street noise, as some others have posted. There is in room steam-radiator heat, but the outside temperatures were moderate, and I was never too hot or cold.

The family that runs the hotel is Top Notch! They knew me by name by the third day of my stay, and made me feel like I was coming home each night. The staff speaks excellent English, and they had great recommendations on things to do in town during our stay. I highly recommend this place for a quiet, off-the-main-area hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank 6-TRG-6
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

My wife and I are from the the midwestern part of the United States. We stayed there when we attended the Husum Wind Fair. Everyone made us feel at home. They helped us find our way around. It was more like living in Flensburg rather than just visiting Flensburg.

• Liked — felt at home
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DCJ08