“Nice location, friendly team, imposing architecture”
Review of Ankerhof Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ankerhof Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Halle (Saale)
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Nice location: the old city of Halle is like an open air museum for Art Nouveau, with a beautiful market place and the rive Saale. The Hotel is located 50 meters beside the river. 5 minutes walk to the city and 10 minutes walk to the university. But at night it is a dead spot!
In June 2013 the hotel was flowed by floodwaters from the river Saale. The hotel closed for some weeks.

Friendly team: I've been staying there two times a year since many years. Allways a friendly team with good advices for trips to the city or region.

Imposing architecture: The whole hotel has designed with natural stone coming from the region. The rooms are very clean an big enough for two people. If you need more space, at the 4th floore is an junior suite.

BUT: In summertime you will be grilled! The top floor (4th floor) is exposed to the sun-and air condition is sufficient. From April to September it's better to have a room to the north.

The restaurant is near by, but outside the hotel. In summer a very nive place for having a beer at the waterside.

Room Tip: In summer you should have a room at the north side. Air condition is not strong enough at the 4th fl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in February 2013. Rooms are a decent size, very clean and fairly well equipped. Centrally located, so there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I arrived late on the first night of my stay so I hate in the restaurant attached to the hotel, typical German fair but very good and inexpensive.
Although I didn't use it the gym within the hotel looked to be well equipped and used.
The staff very friendly and helpful. I have colleagues who have and do stay at this hotel extensively, which is a plus in my opinion.

Room Tip: Avoid using internet, very costly
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John H
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I found the hotel to be clean and tidy and gave value for money. Only real downside ....my room being on the top floor meant the roof beams were very much in the way and I ended up banging my head a few time .... easy done. My bags were lost from the airport and they staff were very helpful in calling the airport to chase up, all the staff were friendly and helpful.

I had a meal in the resturaunt in the hotel grounds and I must say it was one of the best hotel meals I have had in a long time :)

Room Tip: ask for a room without the roof beams ....
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed in the hotel with my family during Easter vacation 2012. Halle was so quit so as the hotel because of the public holidays so we felt a little bit lonely in this old hotel next to the Saale River. the hotel in general is nice but the rooms are a bit small. everything is very clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. the location of the hotel is very close to downtown so it is very conveniant to go for a walk and visit the main seights in Halle but by car it took us a while to find it. All in all I would recommend it since i found it the most affordable compared to other hotels in Halle.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I was booked in the Ankerhof Hotel by the organizers of a conference at the local university and I must say I was quite pleased with my stay. The hotel is not very far from the central square of the city ( a five-ten minute walk at best) and has the advantage of being on the shore of a little river that runs through Halle so it's very quiet. The rooms are certainly not large by North American standards but quite adequate. Cleanliness is evident thoughout the hotel. Breakfasts are very copious with a great variety of choices. Desk staff speak English so there's little problem in checking in. All in all, a very good deal and I recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I stayed here in February for a conference at the university. I had a single room on the fourth floor, which was small and cosy, and really beautifully decorated, with green carpet and wood furnishings. The staff at the desk were all really friendly. The breakfast was really good, and there were really cute moulded butters. Location was also good. One major thing I didn't like was that the one lift was really, really slow, and there was no real option to take the stairs, one way was blocked off and the other way the door to the ground floor was locked. Overall I had a really great stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2008

In two days I'm going to Halle again. And like the previous time, I' will stay in Ankerhof.
The last time was a little more than a year ago. My Mum and I were visiting the University, so we first stayed in another hotel - a family one - that was nearer to the University. But after all was done, we decided to move to the center and chose Ankerhof.
The hotel is situated in 5-10 minutes to the central Marktplatz and as it was mentioned by a previous writer - just on the river Saale. It also has a restaurant that overlooks the river. Meals are very nice and really delicious and the staff is friendly there.
As for the morning breakfasts, they were served in the area of the main hall, but separated from the entrance and reception. So it is cosy and comfortable. Since we stayed in the hotel in February, there were not much of tourists. So there were no problem with waiting for the table, as the previous writer says.
Also there were some road reconstructions made just next to the hotel, but our room window looked another side of the building, so it didn't disturb us at all. By the way, we liked the interior and cleaniless and all the facilities in the room.

I hope, my review was useful. Have a good stay in Ankerhof!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family