“Will NOT win the 2014 Service Medal”
Review of Weinwirtschaft

Weinwirtschaft
Ranked #23 of 840 Restaurants in Leipzig
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Weinwirtschaft is located in a beautiful and beautifully refurbished historical building smack in the center of Leipzig, a three-minute walk from the town's market place and vis-a-vis St. Thomas' Church of Johann Sebastian Bach renown.

Inside, the ambience is modern and 'lightly puristic', i.e. straight lines, but not minimalistic.. The menu offers about two dozen dishes, with the standard menu being supplemented by (mainly seasonal) special dishes. We've visited on a number of occasions, both for lunch and for dinner, the food has always been impeccable. As were the wines, of which there is an excellent selection of various provenances to satisfy all palates.

Alas, the service. Inattentive, indifferent, uppity, not very competent. Pity. Keep your fingers crossed that you catch them on a good day. Even though there is one exception, a young man who will go out of his way to accommodate guests' wishes.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

My friend and I chose to go here for dinner after reading a Trip Advisor review; we were very impressed by the food but the service left a lot to be desired. We shared the three-course meal and then had 3 courses of Tapas too. The Pfifferling soup is amazing! The Tapas was also very tasty but VERY small - 3 is not really enough for a dinner unless you aren't very hungry. I speak fluent German and the waitress was friendly at first but then turned very cold and rude! We were actually quite shocked by the sudden change in her attitude, especially as my friend and I spoke to her in German and obviously ordered a lot of food. We asked for some tap water along with our wine and this obviously did not go down very well. Main course of the pork in bacon was super tasty, but again the plates weren't taken away for at least 25 minutes and we had to specifically ask for dessert ourselves as nobody came over. When I did for some reason she spoke to me in broken English instead of German and then told me there were only 2 people working in the kitchen - I had asked for a crème brulée so obviously this wasn't about to be made from scratch...

All in all, very good food and one of the other waitresses seemed very nice but the one with the short brown ponytail was really very rude! It's a real shame because the food was really nice, and the restaurant looks gorgeous inside and has a lovely view from the outside.

1  Thank Aimee H
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We were there today for lunch, they had a nice daily menu with a very well cooked fish with boiled potatoes and a salad (there were some other options in the menu) and a nice desert with a final latte macchiato... All for 10.50 Euros per person... The waitress was very nice with us and the also warmed the food of our baby... It was really nice and calm... Totally recommendable...

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Three of us dining each had excellent meals reflecting fresh ingredients and smart cooking. The mushroom soup extracted a degree of flavor from the mushrooms none of us had encountered before. My sauerbraten managed to be light and well-seasoned, and I’d like to know how they got their dumplings to be so flavorful and delicate. Even the flatbread pizza was elegant, thoughtfully seasoned and tasty. The rose we selected from the extensive wine list complemented the meal, and the apple strudel we shared for dessert was outstanding.

Service was thoughtful, helpful and efficient. Despite the location within easy view of the Thomaskirche, the crowd was all-German, a local and convivial group. Overall, an excellent experience.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Food is too oily for me and taste just normal. However they offer a good view to the Thomaskirche in the opposite