Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $13.20
More Info
from $19.50
More Info
All reviews his life audio guide original manuscripts listening stations on display classical music thomas church family history interesting displays free lockers gift shop great composer take your time couple of hours entrance fee instruments bach
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Well laid our museum that traces Bach’s life and his importance to Leipzig. Upon entering there are small storage lockers for your stuff. Pay the 8 Euro entry fee and audio tour is included in the price - highly recommended. Take your time and enjoy the history and music. A must stop while visiting Leipzig..

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A very interesting interactive museum, which allows the visitors to really experience Bach’s time, music and personality. Reading his personal letters, seeing how Leipzig looked in his times, listening to pieces performed by musical instruments used in his time, even trying out a real clavichord - and much more – were all moving and fascinating. It is not a very big place, but you can spend a lot of time there.

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Nice cafe to start off with. Helpful staff. Excellent audio guide. Most parts of exhibition have English text as well as German. Excellent displays - attractive and interesting. Very good interactive music items.

Reviewed September 22, 2018

The cost of admission is 8 euros that you pay at the small shop before entering the next building. There are free lockers where you are requested to lock your knapsacks. Definitely recommend the audio guide (also free) that is available in multiple languages. My favourite room was the listening room where you can choose from a variety of Bach compositions, including fragments and historical performances. The films shown in the research room are fascinating and the original Bach compositions on paper for the various instruments are astounding.

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Interesting museum where you can find out everything about the great composer. Do not expect a cosy atmosphere. It really is a museum, not his home

Reviewed September 7, 2018

Right across the street from St. Thomas church there is an unassuming building where Bach and his students lived. They have turned it into a museum for Bach and the current focus is his students and what we can learn about Bach from them.

Reviewed September 2, 2018

I worship music by Johann Sebastian Bach.

So, I went to this museum. First, they took my money, and sent me to another building. There, they asked, if I speak German. After verifying that I did not, they informed me that they will NOT let me in, unless I surrender my tiny waist bag to them 'for storage'. I explained (and have shown) that I only have my cash, credit cards, and my passport in my waist bag, and would be happier to keep these items on my body, and not in their 'storage'. They still forced me to leave my valuables with them.

I was astonished to see inside the museum, that everyone else was permitted there with large bags and rucksacks. Why? May be, because they spoke German? That was pure racist discrimination (and I am an old white woman, not ISIS).

I have to admit, that it was difficult to focus on the content of exhibition after such treatment by the staff.

I still worship music by Johann Sebastian Bach - DESPITE activity of Bach museum in Leipzig.

3  Thank Elena L
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Unless you are a music historian or a passionate of JSBach, this museum is not worth your time. The museography is boring, not creative at all. Several of the stations to listen to musical excerpts were out of order when I visited. If many people are visiting, you may not even get the chance to access one of these listening stations. As stated in the museum itself, there is in fact very little sound historical research about the LIFE and the person of J.-S. Bach... You will not learn much about the man, but you may learn some facts about his historical time if you dare read all the panels. The exhibition is not very interactive. I would absolutely avoid this museum if I were to travel with children. Furthermore, the guardians were even creepier than in other museums of the former East-Germany: always behind your back checking what you are doing in the exhibition rooms... And not friendly at all. The staff at the gift store were a little bit friendlier and helpful. Save you money to download a nice recording of Bach to listen to...

1  Thank vegigirl
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

We spend an hour reading about Bachs history. The employees are very friendly and helpfull. It all lies in the city centre, which is as clean as can be.
We are from south africa and we are amazed to hve not seen 1 police or 1 security guard. It is a relieve.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Very interesting museum because it has a very good collection of instruments. Also has nice gardens. It’s a must !