“In the lap of luxury”

Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Leipzig
London, England
“In the lap of luxury”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a 3 night weekend break and did not want to leave.
The service was impeccable and showed lots of little 5-star touches, which amused us both. The hotel is excellently situated 5 minutes walk from the centre of town and as many restuarants as one could possibly want.
A huge shopping mall and multi-storey car park is being built opposite the hotel, but this did not bother us in any way. It seems to part of the odd way in which former East German cities are trying to play catch-up with their (former) "Western" counterparts.
The city is charming and there is planty to do for 3 or 4 days.
We walked until exhausted so I did not have the energy to sample the hotel pool. Make sure that you do!
Would definitely select for another stay.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the internal courtyard will be quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beemerboy9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Firstly ignore the person below criticising Leipzig...they can't have walked more than 50m from the hotel and have judged the city and hotel's location as such. Leipzig is a former East German city, but the city is very pleasant, and the hotel location is excellent.

This hotel and Leipzig itself appears to be very seasonal and based on business activity. I happened to visit Leipzig for one night during a quiet school holiday period, and as such got a room at a very low price for a hotel of this quality. To the point that when I arrived, before I got out of my car, I double checked my booking and how much I paid in case I made a mistake as it was very obvious this was a high-class hotel. I don't need to comment on the service or room, because I believe simply stating that it is 5-star is enough.

The downside of picking a nice hotel during a quiet time, is I had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (Villers) and I was the sole diner, which was a little awkward. That said, dinner was amazing - nearly cost as much as the room charge, but was amazing and very generous with portions.

My only gripe, would be no free wifi, and the high cost of using it, and then when paying for and using it, it was seriously locked down (I connected via LAN cable, it blocked me sharing the connection over wifi - first hotel I seen do this). Probably fine for the business traveller charging to the corporate card, but for the private guest, even providing 30min free would be something I expected.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and had an excellent stay. The location of the hotel couldn't be better - it is a moment from the main train station and a short stroll into the city centre. Although my room didn't have much of a view, it was nice a quiet and the bed was very comfortable. Staff was very professional and friendly and no request was too much. The reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because although the decor of the public areas; lobby, restaurant etc. is lovely, the room decor was really dated and needs modernising. That said, decor is obviously a question of personal taste and the hotel did get all the important bits such as service and sleep quality right.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Fuerstenhof, Manager at Hotel Furstenhof, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Leipzig, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear UKonthego,

I read your review with great pleasure and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Fuerstenhof, Leipzig. Thank you for commending our staff in such a warm and friendly manner. I will gladly let them know that you appreciated their efforts. I would be delighted to see you soon again.

All the best,

Sydney
Reviewed May 20, 2012

There is nothing wrong with the totally renovated Hotel Furstenhof - only with the neighburhood and Leipzig itself! Next to the hotel where it shows a tree on the picture, is an old town hall (?), a bulding which has not been touched since 1938 and is an absolute disgrace to this city! Leipzig itself looks - in May 2012 - like one big building site and as if East Germany would have collapsed only a few months ago. Compared to, say, Dresden, this is an awful place and unless one really needs to stay there overnight, one better keeps moving - or at least for the next ten years till they have caught up to the 21st Century. It's absolute madness that they rip up so many roads at the same time, making walking towards the old town an impossiblitiy.

Room Tip: probably the best in a lousy town
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was my first trip to Leipzig. I found this conveniently situated just a short walk from the train station and another across the street to access the city center. My room was spacious, quiet and I slept great even though I usually have trouble with some hotel mattresses. The staff was very attentive and when I asked for an ironing board they brought one up within 5 minutes even though they seemed quite busy. Again, when I had to check out to catch a 4 am train, they brought over some tea and coffee for my friends even though the restaurant was closed. I will stay here again if I am in Leipzig and I would certainly recommend the Fuerstenhof to others wishing to visit this beautiful city.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor in room 221 which was very quiet and off the main street side.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ron114
Dear Ron,

I am delighted to read your review, thank you very much! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our services. I hope that you got back home safely and that we welcoming you back again at Hotel Fuerstenhof, Leipzig.

Best regards,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 3, 2012

It is a short stroll along an ugly and noisy street from the central station to the hotel. Check-in is quick and easy. We had room # 222 facing a quiet side street. Three steps down divide the hallway and the bathroom from the cosy living-room. The large bathroom has a tub and a separate shower (it helps being an engineer to understand the fittings). Breakfast is good and plentiful, but a hotel of this class should serve Eggs Benedict on an english muffin and not on a slice of white bread. Apart from the two expensive Michelin starred restaurants it is difficult to find a decent restaurant in Leipzig. We had dinner at the restaurant Villers and we enjoyed every bite of our a la carte menue. The service is first rate, not only in the restaurant. We would stay there again.
If you visit Leipzig on a weekend you can attend a mottete -words in music from Johann Sebastian Bach- at the Thomas church every Friday 6 pm or Saturday 3pm for 2 Euro! Queue up at least 45 min in advance to get a seat. Very interesting are the Zeitgeschichtliches Forum and the Museum in der runden Ecke (round corner) in the former headquarter of the secret police and it is for free.
The museum of fine arts is another highlight if you if you are interested in German art and sculpture in particular. The ticket is valid for the whole day, so you can leave for lunch and return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Москва, Россия
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Aristocratic chic and luxury in a small wonderful hotel. Our balcony was out to the patio and the old church, separating one of the walls of our hotel. Here everything is full of soul.. the hallway, elevator, restaurant, lobby, etc.
Constant compliments from the staff in the form of a wonderful German chocolate - Mmmmm, it was so nice!
Bathroom is about 7 square meters, so it was a complete relaxation for us. The furniture is made of great materials and high quality wood, in the room we always found perfect purity, fruit in the room was fresh and served with a soul. The Spa complex is small but sufficient for such a cozy hotel, in the spa area there is a bar. Swimming pool is small, but you can properly relax in the hammam or regular saunas.
I could write millions of words of admiration, which deserves the hotel. But I just sincerely recommend you to stay in this hotel at least a couple of nights ... you will understand everything! This is the soulful story at the heart of a serious Leipzig.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julia_mc_es
Dear Julia,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed every part of your stay with us! That is exactly what we as a team aim for and we would like to thank you for your fantastic review!

It would be fantastic to welcoming you back again at Hotel Fuerstenhof and remain with best regards from Leipzig!