“First Rate Hotel”

Steigenberger Grandhotel Handelshof
Ranked #1 of 103 Hotels in Leipzig
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We only stayed one night and did not have breakfast so cannot comment there, but certainly the cleanliness and service at this hotel were first rate. Beautiful rooms which offered a delightful night's sleep. Shower extremely powerful and towels luxurious. Internet access difficult, spotty and slow which I would not expect from such a high class hotel.

Doorman was a little pushy with my husband when I was checking in. Insisted on taking all luggage immediately from the car which was temporarily standing in front of hotel. Initially I didn't think so much about this, but after giving it more consideration my feeling was that an Audi A4 was not a suitable car to have outside the entrance to this particular hotel too long. All other vehicles appeared to be Mercedes and Porsche.

Valet parking a bit steep at 25 Euro for the night, but didn't have any other choice.

Location perfect and would definitely stay there again if I were able to get a "pre-book" deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for 2 Nights.
The room was big, with a lage bathroom. Big bathtub and very nice shower.
Comfy bed.
The hotel was in the city senter, right next to the Marked. Near the sentral trainstation, and very close to the trams.
Only problem was that a lot of the information in the room was in german only, and as someone that don't speak/read german, I couldn't read it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2013

One of my favourite hotels, only stayed here once for a 3 day break but the hotel really made it special, the room was very modern and up to date, very very spacious with all mod cons. The mini bar was replenished on a daily basis of which we were not charged for all we consumed. The beds were so comfortable you don't want to get out of bed. Also the service was flawless and the location is as central as you can get.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Some hotels just make you feel happy. The Steigenberger in Leipzig is like that. A feel-good hotel in which everything is just spot on. The rooms, the service, the whole atmosphere.

It's a fairly new hotel in a classical building that I know was unused for years. They renovated and turned it into the Steigenberger only a few years ago and did a great job. The location is perfect for exploring the city, although I can imagine not leaving this hotel for days, with everything about it being so good.

Other reviewers have already sung praise on the different aspects of the hotel, so I won't repeat that and only say I agree with every positive comment here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brun_71
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I recently completed a trip through Central Europe and Saxony and was lucky to stay in a number of lovely, well-reviewed hotels. I have to say this was the hotel of the trip. I had such a wonderful time that I may have to find an excuse to return to Leipzig sooner than I expected. Finding hotels like is such a wonderful part of travel.

I stayed for three days midweek in June in one of the hotel's standard rooms but it certainly never felt like a standard room. Before I arrived I corresponded with the concierge staff to arrange a transfer from the train station, which was handled quickly and professionally. I arrived to be greeted three separate times by a bellman, doorman, and parking valet. Even though I arrived early my room was ready and waiting. I had a corner room with a lovely view over the square as well as a side window allowing me to see some lovely architectural features of the building. The room featured a full work desk with standard business accessories, a comfortable sitting area with two oversized chairs and a table, a king bed and a exceptionally spacious bathroom with large soaking tub with separate oversized shower cabin and double vanity. The bathroom was nearly as large as bedroom and that was perfectly fine with me. The soaking tub was enormous with lovely tile work and design features as well as glorious heated floors throughout the bathroom.

Despite an aggressive almost psychedelic design, nothing felt out of place and I was struck how functional and comfortable everything was. The work chair was properly designed to fit with the desk, the lounge chairs were comfortable. The bed was one of the most luxurious in which I have ever slept, the heated tile floor comfortable even in the summer. Internet signal, water pressure, and air conditioning were uniformly strong.

Room service was above average in terms of quality and even value for money. I had an excellent dinner in the hotel restaurant on the final evening of my stay.

I stayed through American Airlines vacations so I don't know the negotiated rate but given the quality and service I received at this hotel, I would be willing to reach deep into my pockets in order to come back and I think the hotel certainly justifies its high prices. It was quite simply a wonderful experience, which outshines some better known hotels in Germany.

Now, all I have to figure out is how to schedule more time in Leipzig. Happy traveling.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank twainandwhitman
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very accommodating, the children received a little stuffy rhino upon check in which they loved, the breakfast was great, the room was very spacious and very modern and clean, all in all a true 5 star hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel deserves its top rating as it is outstanding on every level.
Top location for walking around this easy to get about city.
Rooms are luxurious...
Breakfast was outstanding.

Staff were excellent

The only place to stay in Leipzig

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple