“Excellent”

Chang
Ranked #85 of 788 Restaurants in Leipzig
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Are here twice already one before my first trip to Thailand and again last night. Excellent food and service. Need to reserve a table as was almost fully booked especially at the weekend. Reserved for tomorrow night with girlfriend

The Netherlands
“Little gem in Leipzig”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Had a wonderfull dinner at Chang. Friendly staff and excellent food.
Would recommend this place to everyone if you like good Thai food.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Girl67
Newark, Delaware
“Edible Asian Food in Leipzig?!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been coming to Leipzig since 1999. Unlike some of my friends, I like German food, and there is quite a lot of good German food in Leipzig (think Bayerische Bahnhof, for instance). The Asian food, however, is really terrible. In fact, at least until now, forget GOOD Asian food. The question was whether it was edible.

Somehow, though. the descriptions of Chang seemed promising enough to tempt disappointment one more time. I am shocked to say that Chang is a pretty good Thai restaurant. I am certainly not a native eater of Thai, but the food seemed to me to be more like the Thai food in small restaurants in Thailand than those in Seattle (the land of many bad Thai restaurants).

What did we eat? A beef yum (yam nuah) a chicken phad thai and a duck massaman curry. The phad thai tasted a bit different from the phad thais I remember in Thailand, but IT WAS NOT UNPLEASANTLY SWEET like the phad thai in most Thia restaurants in the U.S. Spiceness: we told the waitress (in English, I might add) that we would like the dishes spiced the way Thai people like them. This has occasionally back fired on me and resulted in dishes that are so hot I can't eat them, but usually in the U.S. it has no effect at all. Our dishes were not as hot as in Thailand, but they were about as hot as I really like. The price for three dishes and 7 Euros of drinks (a real killer in Germany) was 36 Euros. Not chedap, but not terrible.

The verdict: THERE IS DECENT ASIAN FOOD IN LEIPZIG, at least at Chang's. (Otherwise eat German food?)

A note on the location, for those who have not been in Leipzig for a while, Gottsched Strasse is in an entertainment area just outside the ring (outside the core center of the city). It has gotten much bigger and contains also (among many others) what looks like a nice Italian restaurant, a Vietnamese restaurant, an Asian fusion restaurant (I am dubious) and many others. This seems like it is now the best area to go to to looks for a good meal or a pleasant place to drink rather than the streets surrounding the Markt Platz.

• Visited July 2013
Leipzig, Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great!!!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to Chang on a rainy day in May and we had a great experience. The food is excellent, the restaurant is very cosy in a nice location and the staff is smiley and makes you feel like eating at home...we had Giew Thod, Geang Phed Ped Yang and Panaeng Ped and everything was properly cooked and spiced...we are definitely going back ;)

• Visited May 2013
Leipzig, Germany
“Great Authentic Thai Food!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A must for Thai food fans. Great food, excellent produce and very reasonable prices.
We ordered the Seafood Salad (starter) and the Duck Salad (starter) followed by the Pad Thai (with Prawns), Red Duck Curry with Thai herbs and basil and the Whole Fish in a Ginger/Garlic sauce. All meals where outstanding.
Very friendly service. Casual Atmosphere. If the weather is permitting, you can sit outside.
Easy access with public transport, but parking can be difficult in Gottschedstrasse. There is a parking lot across the road from the Synagogue memorial.
There are not many tables so book to avoid disappointment.

• Visited April 2013