“Enjoyable night despite language difficulties”
Review of MAREDO Steakhouse

MAREDO Steakhouse
Ranked #156 of 1,036 Restaurants in Dresden
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Innere Altstadt
Reviewed December 13, 2015

When we went in here we asked if our waitress spoke English and were delighted she did and seemed to be very fluent. She took our orders and all seemed fine.
Then the bottle of wine we ordered arrived as a glass. I explained that we wanted the bottle and she apologised and said she understood we'd asked for a glass and was that okay - I was trying to explain I'd drink the glass but to bring a bottle. I figured we wouldn't get the bottle and we didn't! OH had a beer anyway so he was fine with that.
Starters were fine - caesar salad and chicken wings - and were really good.
OH had ordered steak and she'd asked him if he wanted it medium and he'd said medium-rare - and it came rare. He was okay with that - no way could I have ate it if it had been mine.
She was a really good server and checked back with us constantly. I'd happily go back again - and be a little more careful with ordering - we do have a few German words and would be able to explain bottle of wine etc!

Reviewed June 4, 2015

Food was nothing special - overcooked meat with gelatinous mushroom sauce. The young man who was our server was very inattentive and seemed like he was in another world. After requesting our check we waited almost 20 minutes for him to bring it to us. Would definitely not return there.

Reviewed May 18, 2015

We ate here on a previous night and had excellent service and
a tasty meal, and decided to return.
Before returning we discovered our Dresden Card, entitled
us to 10% discount off our meal.
The meal and service was again fine.
On payment time the waitress did not know anything about it.
She called another, same result.
She called yet another, same result.
Unfortunately we didn't have the brochure (only the card).
They finally but reluctantly gave us our discount.
The embarrassment we felt, quite spoilt our evening,
If the management reads this, please inform your staff of their obligations.
And if you are in Dresden and have Dresden Card, make sure you take the brochure with you.
You will get a good meal.

Reviewed April 10, 2015

Okay, the restaurant was busy, but to wait nearly an hour for our food was unacceptable, even by German standards. Having lived in Germany, I know that food is prepared fresh. The orders were taken quickly enough, but the first disappointment was that they'do run out of pimientos de pardon for starters. After over 30 minutes' wait, I asked the waiter how much longer we were going to have to wait for our food. We were assured 10 minutes at the most, as they were very busy. Twenty minutes later the food arrived. The chicken was fine and the fries at best distinctly average. The waiter apologised for the delay, but it wasn't his fault. I spoke to the manageress as we left the restaurant. She gave the usual platitudes, but again put it down to the fact that they were very busy. She didn't take my complaint seriously. Maredo is clearly a popular restaurant and will do well, but from this visit I don't know why. I expect that they will continue to pack people in and then keep them waiting. Definitely must do better.

Reviewed December 21, 2014

We were looking for food after leaving the Christmas Market at Altmarkt, looking for something not too expensive. The restaurant is clean and well lit and the staff welcoming. We were particularly impressed that the food starts off plain and you can then add sauces and dressings to suit your palate or diet. The service was brisk without being hurried, and the quality of the food was good. Not cheap, but good for a central tourist location.