“Nice cosy room + Great value for money.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of A&O Dresden Hauptbahnhof

A&O Dresden Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #16 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Dresden
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice cosy room + Great value for money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

Was greeted by a very nice, friendly, and helpful recep on my arrival nite of Nov 30. Room was small, clean but very cosy so I liked it very much. It also came with a decent view of the quiet surrounding neighborhood and was very well-equipped with 2 well-functioning radiators - 1 in room and 1 in bathroom. Delighted to find TV was cabled with both cnn and bbc, and that there was a supermarket ideally situated right behind the hotel block.

The salami and bierwurst served during breakfast buffet was especially fresh and tasty! Internet was charged at 4 Euros / 2 hrs but the speed was fast and good.

Basically, overall stay at hostel was excellent except for a big minus which took place on my final night throughout my stay here when some rowdy and noisy vacationing German kids were hanging out in the common corridor and "visiting" one another in their rooms. Otherwise, all else was good.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Praha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

Hostel has very good location only 300 meters from main train station (Hauptbahnhof), however its quiet place. City center is within walking distance, its only 15 minutes to Zwinger.

We had double room, it was small, but clean and everything was working well, only beds were little bit soft for me. Staff was ok and breakfast fine and rich. For the price its great hostel accommodation in my opinion.

• Liked — location, cleaness, breakfast
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed November 2008
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

The A&O hotel in Dresden is a clean, sterile hostel in an odd but not terrible location near the Hauptbahnhof. We stayed in a double room, and as long as you remember you’re staying in a hostel you’ll be fine. The beds were comfy, our room on the 6th floor had a nice view of the distant old town, and the bathroom was good. The breakfast is a harried affair, with certainly the worst coffee I have ever tasted in a hotel breakfast. The hotel itself is about a 20 minute walk to the Frauenkirche, but not a hard one, and about 7 minutes to the train station. I probably wouldn’t recommend the A&O, because I think there must be nicer places for the price, but it wasn’t horrible or anything.

• Stayed October 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in September. The location is extremely convenient by the train station with a 20 minute walk to the main sites. Not a bad walk either. Check in was busy but polite and prompt and easy. The hostel has EVERYTHING you could think of underneath it's roof so very convenient. Internet, luggage storage, a bar with a view on the top floor. It also felt secure and safe.

Drinks in the bar upstairs were great! Good beer and a great mixed drink with lemon in it which I loved.

Warning: If you eat in the bar upstairs they only offer pizza and hamburger. It's not really a restaurant, more like a bar. The pizza looked good but we ordered a hamburger which was a HUGE MISTAKE! It was the worst hamburger either of us had ever tasted. Basically it was a frozen hamburger that had been microwaved. My burger was okay but the bun was as hard as rock, I'm not exaggerating. I knocked on it like I was knocking on the door and it made close to the same sound as if I was actually knocking on a door. My husbands bun was okay but his burger was still frozen in the middle. EEEWW!

Service was good though and even at the front desk, there were some very sweet people who worked there, so we couldn't find it in our hearts to tell anyone how disgusted we were with the hamburger. Their english wasn't as good as western Germany, but it was still good enough to understand and they tried really hard. From the impression I had, most of the tourists staying there were other Germans.

One thing we noticed about the service personnel which concerned us a bit was that the shifts they worked seemed to be abnormally long. The same people would be there at the front desk from when we went out to dinner in the evening to when we woke up the next morning and then we'd see the same people coming back to work another shift less than 8 hours later.

The free breakfast is okay. But it might be hard to find a table. The first morning we went we found the last table, and the second morning it was a bit less busy but our table hadn't been cleaned. It's a busy place. Coffee wasn't always there and wasn't the greatest. We ended up just going out for coffee every morning.

The rooms were very clean. We only wanted 2 singles or 1 double, but they gave us a room with 1 double and two singles in the form of a bunk bed. It was nice, clean and huge with the toilet and a sink being in a separate room then the shower and another sink. Being near the train station wasn't too loud either. The complaint I had was that the beds were honestly as hard as rock. Beds were hard everywhere we stayed in germany but this was something else. We both had sore backs and had to get aspirin the next day. The pillows and blankets were soft but the bed was honestly no better than sleeping on the floor.

This might be the only reason I wouldn't stay here again, they were THAT hard, but then again, I wouldn't trust that anywhere else we might stay in Germany would not have beds that hard anyways.

• Liked — The internet usage right beside the lobby
  • Disliked — the hard beds
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
St. Paul, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2008

Dresden is an interesting city and I wish there would have been more time to see it in the daylight but it took me a while to find the hostel. I'm hoping they have improved the directions provided by the hostel on how to get their from the train station, but I had a rough time. I don't know if they were translated wrong, or wrong from the beginning but they were worthless. Once I did find the hostel the staff was friendly and helpful. The hostel overall was fine, nothing spectacular but nothing bad either. Its located within walking distance of the train station (assuming you can find it) and the neighborhood is reasonably good. Considering how expensive the city seems to be otherwise, I would say its a good value. Just get better directions.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank iainkelt
Glasgow, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

We came from a 3 night stay in Berlin and were very excited about our stay in Dresden, out Hostel was another reason to be pleased.

We had a little difficulty in recognising A&O hostel at first, there was no sign identifying it as being the Hostel, but the bright yellow colour of the building had stuck in my mind after seeing photos before our trip. We were given a warm welcome, and went up to our small but perfectly formed private twin room with shower and WC. Minor complaint was that the TV didn't work. Never mind, we planned to be out and seeing the sights! We had a bit of excitement when we had a temporary power cut in our room after plugging in our mobile phones to charge, but the reception staff were GREAT - so apologetic, and gave us tokens for a free drink each while the problem was sorted. 5 minutes and we were back in the room with power restored!

We enjoyed great sleep, followed by a varied breakfast in the comfortable brekkie room.

Parking was no problem, there is also a post box right outside.

I can't comment on the transport links, we used our car quite a lot to get into and around Dresden when we weren't walking.

• Liked — The staff, and a comfy bed
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple