“Nice rooms and clean”

Tryp by Wyndham Dresden Neustadt
Ranked #64 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Reviewed August 31, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Lien J

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel is large, our room was spacious and clean, the breakfast was very good.
This hotel is not in the centre of Dresden, surroundings are ugly and dark at night. Hotel declares the possibility to park a car in public car parking near hotel, but it's a lie. There is no car parking on site, it's only the street beside the hotel. As the hotel is big and there are many houses arround it, it's a big problem to find a parking place. We arrived late at night and couldn't find a parking place. We reported our problem to the receptionist and she offered us to park our car somewhere in Dresden or to apply to another hotel for parking place. We were searching for place to park our car for 45 minutes at 11.00 p.m. instead of sleep. We were lucky, when one car left it's parking place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank - -
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel offers big, comfortable rooms. However, I felt very unwelcome because the lady at the reception seemed to be in a bad mood and wasn't really helpful or friendly. They didn't provide us with enough soap and towels for three people staying only one night, which talks about a lack of preparation. The hotel's surroundings aren't the nicest in Dresden and despite how good public transport works, it's still located quite far from the city center.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hprog
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I had never visited Dresden before and didn't realize that when I chose this hotel it wasn't even near the Dresden Hauptbahnhof. It was on the north side of the Elbe River in an area called Neustadt, but quite a distance from the city center. I found out that the Neustadt Railroad station was close to the hotel, but it wasn't easy to get down the stairs with my luggage, and then walk for several blocks through a neighborhood of non-descript apartment buildings to reach the Grand City Hotel. The front of the hotel wasn't remarkable, either. It looked like just another one of the apartment buildings in the area. I was also surprised that when I checked in, the clerk didn't have my reservation, which was made through Orbitz. All the other hotels I had booked through Orbitz did have my reservation, so I wondered why there was a problem with this hotel. It took the clerk awhile to check me in. I wasn't thrilled about the location of my room, just up on the second floor, with a view of an old apartment building across the street. The one nice thing was that they allowed me to use the computer in the lobby to go on the internet for free. I rarely use the internet when I'm away from home, but this hotel made it very easy to use since it was right by the front desk, and no one else was using it. The clerks were helpful and spoke English, which was good, since I speak very little German. When I left the next morning I found out how to get on the tram outside the hotel, and how to transfer to another tram to take me to the historic heart of Dresden. It was much farther than I expected, and it seemed to be at least two miles. The main problem for me with the Grand City Hotel Dresden Zentrum was it's remote location from the heart of Dresden. The word "Zentrum", which I thought meant "Center" doesn't really apply here. The next time I'm in Dresden I would try to find a hotel on the south side of the Elbe River, somewhere closer to the Dresden Hauptbahnhof, and I would avoid the Neustadt area completely.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank TallTexWally
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This hotel is situated on a tram route approx 15 minutes away from Central Dresden. There is not a lot of anything nearby. There is graffiti on the outside of the hotel. The inside is pleasant. There is only one lift which could present a problem at times as it was so busy within the hotel. My room was of a good standard. Don't bother with the breakfast unless included in the room rate. At 12.50 euros extra it was not worth it the choice was lack lustre and on the first morning it despite 3 staff, the tables remained uncleared and the ones that were tidied were not relaid properly. On the next 2 mornings I bought my breakfast in the McDonalds 10 minutes walk away. The reason I wouldn't recommend this hotel is due to the location and the poor breakfast service hence why only 2 stars on the service. The reception staff were very helpful though.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Turmstrasse
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Very nice hotel located in an old beautiful building. It has everything one needs - the place is calm, the hotel is clean, the stuff friendly. And a welcome drink in a bar! The only thing that slightly falls behind is the location - but you can take the streetcar to take you downtown, Dresden is not to large. But it is a nice city worth visiting.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OP255
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Definitely the best hotel I stayed in during my trip around Germany. The hotel is situated inside an old, classical corner house, which is very impressive to look at. From the inside it is all new and clean and has a "cave-like" restaurant/bar. Our room was very bright, with light colours and a balcony. It also smelled nice and clean. The location is not exactly "Zentrum" but one can reach the absolute center in 15 mins by very convenient public transport.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends