“Basic rooms, no wi-fi, close to the rail station, wonderful breakfast”
Review of Hotel Kipping

Hotel Kipping
Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Basic rooms, no wi-fi, close to the rail station, wonderful breakfast”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I and my wife made a stop at Dresden on our way between Berlin and Prague. We chose hotel Kipping as it is really close to the railway station - just get out of the station and after 100m you are in front of the hotel. The building is an old one (one of the WW2 survivors) and the furniture is quite old and basic. However, the only thing we missed was the wireless Internet. I am an IT professional and I was unable to connect - bad range and completely misconfigured router, so even if you are given username and password, you won't be able to use the net. Staff is okay and they give you opportunity to store your luggage which is very good option if traveling by train. The city centre is about 20 mins walk. Last, but not least - the breakfast was just wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BORIME4KA
pkipping, Inhaber at Hotel Kipping, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Hello, Thank you for your stay in our hotel. Pardon and sorry that you have had problems with the wi-fi. I do not know why. Two days end of April we have had a technical problem with the computer and no internet connection. But every day (!) there are about 10 guests which like to have internet and they have it about our net without any problems...
The best for you and the next time in our hotel I hope there is no problem with this.
Best regards
Peter Kipping

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Well I chose it because it was recommended by Rick Steves and it is right across the street from the Train Station and It is not expensive compared to a lot of other hotels in Dresden. Well the rooms are clean and very cozy.The wifi really didn’t work well at all. I was only really able to use it in the lobby here and there which was frustrating. So if you go there don’t expect any wifi.The staff at the Hotel is family ran and the family seemed like a crabby bunch and not very friendly as I tried to make some friendly conversation with them and they didn’t seem interested in what I was saying to them. Breakfast was kind of limited so don’t expect anything special. They have a restaurant and bar but I didn’t go it so I can’t comment on it.

I think if I return to Dresden I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a good place to stay, especially if you are travelling by train: it is in a quiet street two minutes from the station.
The room was fine (though wifi didn't work there - had to sit in the lobby to use it), and I enjoyed some good food in the restaurant one evening.
It's a short walk into the historic centre, via pedestrian shopping streets. There is an excellent gourmet take-away food shop in the station, called Marché, recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Moss Vale, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had booked and paid for a double room including breakfast for 3 nights over the internet.
The walk from Dresden Hbf to the hotel took about 5 minutes. The walk to the touristy part of town, on the other side of the Hbf takes about 25 minutes walking, but it is flat all the way.
We arrived at the hotel and was given a map and various directions. English is widely spoken. The hotel serves evening meals, however we did not use the restaurant.
We were allocated Room 4. There is an elevator servicing the hotel.
Our room, rather quaint and old fashioned, but this is not a minus, had a foyer, seating area, wardrobes, comfortable bed and smallish ensuite. Only liquid soap is provided, so bring your own toilettries. Everything was very clean and the hotel is very quiet. The windows are openable.
The TV had a few english speaking channels.
Wifi access is available, but my iPad could not connect even down in the restaurant. Our laptop had no such problems.
Breakfast was excellent with a wide slection of hot and cold dishes, juices etc all regularly replenished. Something different was offered each morning.
If you like family run hotels at a very reasonable price, then give Hotel Kipping a go. We recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barbaraanne56
Spain
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel Kipping has free parking, free WiFi and is not too far to walk to the Altstadt, it also fits my budget. It is located just beside the Hauptbahnhof, with a rather seedy looking casino in between; next to the hotel's parking lot is an empty plot where local youths/casino patrons hang out, I must admit I felt a bit uneasy when seeing that.

The hotel has 3 floors with a small and slow lift for those with heavy luggage, the room was clean and spacious with simple decor, the sitting area is a nice touch and the bed comfortable. The shower box is rather small and cramp with ok water pressure, overall the toilet was very clean.

The check-in staff, whom I assume is the hotel's manager, got a bit grumpy when I asked for 2 WiFi passwords (for the two of us), which I thought was unnecessary; I was also asked to drop the room key off at the reception whenever I go out.

The Altstadt is a 30 minutes walk away, reachable via walking through the shopping area just north of the Hauptbahnhof. I didn't have enough coins on me for tickets so had to get off the tram after one stop, fortunately it wasn't as dodgy as I thought when walking back to the hotel at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank little_ostow
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was cycle touring and this hotel was not ideal, being some distance from the river and with limited facilities to lock up my bike. Other than that it was pretty good and if you were traveling by train it would be great. The room was comfortable and quiet, the breakfast good and the staff friendly and helpful. They have an overly-complicated password system for their wifi, otherwise no complaints and I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This was my favorite hotel on the Rick Steve's tour of Berlin, Dresden, Prague and Vienna. Our room was spacious clean, and stocked with clean bed linens and towels. We had a balcony view of the neighborhood and found the room to be very relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. It is everything that the previous people have written. I would stay there again and I would recommend it.

Stayed September 2012