“Great overview of the city- interesting and informative!”
Review of DresdenWalks

and up
Dresden Walking Tour Of The Historic Old Town
Ranked #2 of 49 Tours in Dresden
More attraction details
Owner description: DresdenWalks offering daily walking tours in English and German for individual guests to join. Our guides are happy to show you Dresden and make you familiar not only with its history but also different stories. Meet us at Schlossplatz Square at 12 noon for English tours or 10.30 am for German tours (Apr.-Oct.) or 12 noon (Nov.-March).
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was a great tour that included historical info on the city's history and architecture. It was not too long, just the perfect amount of time I thought (I think about 1 1/2 -2 hours, I wasn't watching the time). There were 5 people in the group I was in. The guide, Dresden native Katherina, was interesting, knowledgeable, and fun. The tour moved quickly and hit the highlights of the city but allowed plenty of time for questions as well- I did not feel rushed or bored by an excruciating amount of historical facts that I could never remember anyway. The tour is all outside, and then you can go back on your own to go into the cathedrals/museums etc. I would highly recommend this- it was a bargain for 12euros (for the English tour) I just showed up at the sign, and paid Katherina (I did not need to get advance tickets, which was great I thought)

3  Thank TXTRAVLR L
Jana M, Inhaber at DresdenWalks, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Hi, thanks a lot for your review as well. Yes, it is possible to by tix in advance at the tourist information or online. Usually there are spots left to join our walking tour right at the spot at Schlossplatz Square. Jana

There are newer reviews for DresdenWalks

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We took the 2 hour walking English tour with Jana. We were great group - 2 Brits, 1 Spanish, 1 Russian, 1 Croatian and 1 South African - quite a diverse group! Jana introduced us to the history and took us round all the beautiful sights and told us the history and stories behind each wonderful building. You can certainly do the walk yourself and read the books but you remember so much more when you have a guide with such enthusiasm and knowledge.

Jana M, Inhaber at DresdenWalks, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thanks a lot for your comment, even though you had a tour accompanied with my "trainee" as well. Jana

Reviewed March 3, 2014

It's really easy to grab a map and do your own city tour...................... the train station is on the perimeter of the Alt Stadt You can walk or you can get a tram. I had never seen so many compartments in a tram: Some have as many as seven, and snaked around the old town like giant caterpillars. There is so much to see you will need at least two days. The Green vault and the Castle were my favourites, both requiring a lot of time to enjoy. I was overwhelmed by the security, double security, at the Green Vault, but when I saw the magnificent treasures inside, including carved ivory and huge gems.........this really has the WOW factor. I love the castle which has been meticulously restored. I know I was looking at the original castle [just rebuilt later] because the Germans use the original techniques where possible, and the same materials......no imitations. The complex is huge and very ornate. The gardens were a welcome relief from the hot, 34 deg C summer sun. Great views can be had from the Frauenkirche as well. History and beautiful architecture is everywhere in a compact space. There are plenty of cafes/eateries on the edge of the old town, heading towards the train station and two biggest hotels. We stayed in one of them and it was excellent and reasonably priced.

Jana M, Inhaber at DresdenWalks, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Hi, yes - it is easy to get around Dresden on your own. I hope that our guides make the big difference to show you the sights and tell stories & maybe also own experiences, which you'd need to find online/in books etc. Our tours are rather small and we are always happy to pick the right route & stories for our guests :) Jana

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We showed up with just enough time to get in a quick 1 hour tour as we bussed from Berlin to Prague for a hockey tournament. Katharina did an outstanding job given the short time. She nailed it! So much fun and all the knowledge, presentation was incredible. We all really enjoyed the short time we had!

Jana M, Inhaber at DresdenWalks, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Hi, we hope that your match was as good as the tour with Katharina in January...

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was looking for a Spanish tour, but there was no spanish guide at the moment. Me and a mexican tourist took then an english tour with Seema. Now I think we were lucky to take a tour with her. She went over so many detaills about the princes of Saxonia and how their personalities left track on the history of Dresden. We went through all the historical area and the mexican guy, Seema and I had lots of fun comparing what Seema was telling us about Dresden with our history in South and central america.
Certainly it makes a lot of difference to take a tour with a guide that does not hesitate to go an extra mile to make people happy and suggesting what else to do while visiting the city.
Thank you Seema for all your compromise towards your work!

Jana M, Inhaber at DresdenWalks, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thanks a lot for your great words about Seema's tour!