“A nice hostel”

and 1 more site!
Hostel Louise 20
Ranked #14 of 65 Specialty Lodging in Dresden
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Maybe because it was the low season with less guests, I got a double room though I booked a single room and paid for the single room price, which I find very nice. The room is clean, and the location is fine though not perfect. In general, I recommend this hostel for budget traveler.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Great location, right on Louisenstrasse, centre of bars, restaurants, and cafes. Louisenstrasse is in the New Town so it is fairly trendy and a young crowd.

Louise 20 was a really nice hotel/hostel. We stayed in a private double room, which was bright and sunny, very clean. Shared bathroom, which was spotless, with two other rooms.

Our room was located facing the street, not in the courtyard, so was loud until about 1-2am from people on the street as drinking on the street is legal. The streets are very crowded - if you were in the courtyard building it might be quieter.

The hotel reception/lobby/breakfast area and a lot of the dorms are in a quiet courtyard, and there is a fully equipped kitchen available for use with plenty of eating space. They offer paid Wifi in the common areas.

Breakfast is offered for about 5EU, and seemed to have a large variety of foods and cereals. We used the kitchen to make our own though.

Staff were friendly and helpful - there is an additional fee if you need sheets/bed linen - so if possible to save money you could bring your own.

For the same price as Louise 20, Loli's Homestay seemed to cater for a younger backpacking crowd - Louise 20 seemed quieter, and with private rooms attracted families and couples.

Overall, it's a really nice place to stay and in a fantastic location.

N.B - Check in is not until 3PM! They do let you store your luggage though. Checkout is 11.30am.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Louise 20 is located in a hip student area with lots of nice little shops, cafes and eateries. Access by public transport (tram) is easy. It is a friendly place, clean, comfortable, inviting. On the approach you are greeted by an abundance of lovingly cared for flower baskets and tubs in the yard and on the staircase. The staff is friendly and competent. The welcome is made complete by a little sideboard with free tea, coffee and biscuits in the hall. A fully fitted kitchen is available for cooking your own meals, but there are so many good and cheap eateries around (try the Italian place opposite) that we only used it once. For a mere 5.50 Euro you can avail of the wonderful breakfast buffet which would put many a hotel to shame, it is so good and wholesome. The common rooms are nicely decorated and lend themselves to writing cards, playing boardgames, enjoying a glass of wine at the end of the day... There were 6 of us, 3 middle-aged and three girls in their late teens and we were given two 4-bed rooms to ourselves.
The one and only little sour grape was a group of very loud and giggly ladies in the 'PlanWirtschaft' bar underneath the hostel who kept us awake one night into the small hours. But I can wholeheartedly recommend Louise 20 and would definitely stay there again if I was to return to Dresden sometime.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed in Hostel Louise 20 in Dresden two separate nights on my backpacking trip passing by Dresden. It was an amazing city I'd love to go back again, and this hostel certainly made my stay more pleasant. I have to say it was one of the cleanest hostel I stayed in and the price was fair. I stayed in the same 5-bedroom dorm room for the 2 nights, and met some very nice fellow travellers who I became friends with later on. The staff was helpful on directions and utilities using. The neighbourhood was vibrant (plenty of bars and small restaurant) for a relaxing evening after the day of sightseeing. It's located away from the touristy area, so a good quiet night of sleep can be guaranteed. Overall, I highly recommend this hostel to any budget travellers.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Very spacious and well decorated fresh rooms. Good location, easy tram ride (number 8) to the main train station and city. Nice restaurant below the hostel with great food and service. Down side...after paying for internet we had a very weak Wi-f iconnection in the private double rooms (unable to access the network). Your room rate is that only, and you are required to pay for anything extra even in the private rooms, including linen, internet and breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanelleAustralia
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We were staying in Dresden overnight to catch up with family and had been recommended the Hostel Louise. I was a little apprehensive about staying in a hostel as were travelling with our 20 month old daughter, but I needn't have worried as it was a great place to stay and suited our needs for a well priced overnight accommodation option. It was cheap, clean and comfortable, in a good location (still walking distance to the old town but also close to public transport), there was parking on the street and it was close to lots of great cafes and bars.

The area nearby is very lively with lots of bars and very active nightlife but the fact that the hostel is set off the street meant it was very quiet and peaceful which was good.

The cafe underneath the hostel is also recommeded! Our relatives took us there for breakfast which was fabulous but apparently they do great meals for dinner and lunch too.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank RMST78
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I stayed in a twin room for two nights during May 2008.
We had booked a twin room but the beds didnt split but I just threw mattress on ground not much of a problem really.
I didnt like the shared bathroom facilities with another person from another room.
I found the locks very difficult to unlock, I cant understand why Europe cant just have normal Lockwood locks....
To make my stay nicer it would have been good to have an outside area to sit.
There is a nice bar directly in front on hostel. Also a kebab shop across the road.
The reception staff at hostel were excellent.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends