“Average price for basic rooms and terrible breakfast”
Review of Am Blauen Wunder

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Am Blauen Wunder
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Lund, Sweden
“Average price for basic rooms and terrible breakfast”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I can't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night and bought breakfast. The rooms are most basic and the beds were quite hard, but that might appeal to some. The morning after I went down for breakfast, my girl didn't feel good so she skipped breakfast. The breakfast was decent with a basic choise of bread, toppings and cereal. I hoped to get bacon and eggs but there were no bacon left with 30 min left on serving. The boiled eggs was also out and no more were served. When one of the bread was finished they told me that more was on the way out but it never showed.

When checking out we wanted to get a reduction since I was unpleased with my breakfast and my girlfriend couldn't have any but we were turned down by the staff. They insisted that there were food left during the whole serving and that it was impossible for them to give me a reduction and that I have to pay for a service that I didn't use fully and was unpleased with.

So, that's why this hotel will not get a recommendation from me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The location of the hotel is good, close to a tram stop and shops including a supermarket; however, few dining options nearby.

The rooms are very basic, certainly not worth the supposed 4 stars. Service is unreliable and not very friendly; especially the boss has an attitude. One of the days, our room had not been cleaned (bed not made, etc.). When we asked to at least get fresh towels, we indeed got them after quite a while, and were told that they confirmed with the maid that our room had been cleaned that day. When we insisted it did not happen, they finally came up with the explanation that we only left the room at 1 pm. Strange how a story can change.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel is a short walk from the Blauwn Wunder bridge and quite a way out of town, about fifteen minutes on the tram. Not the best or worst place I have stayed in, a dullish, cheap business hotel in an ok area, at least it is right by a tram-stop for several different trams and buses as well.

The room was ok, make sure you ask for at least two extra pillows as the one they left me was useless to the point that I pulled out the spare duvet and rolled it up as a pillow. The tv had BBC Worldwide and CNN but no music radio, the room did have a bath which was a bonus after two flights, one train, two tubes a bus and a taxi and it was a nice quiet spot. The highlight of the hotel were the extremely friendly and helpful staff, the lowlight was probably the terrible breakfast, save your money and eat elsewhere as it is seven euros, wait till the airport or town centre.

Wifi is four euros an hour, I thought this pricey but at time of writing I am in Ulm, southern Germany and it is the same here. As I was going to the hospital in the morning it was in a perfect position about two or three tram stops away. You buy your ticket at the stop before boarding and stamp it once you get on, two euros buys you an hours travel in the central zone. All in all an ok place but nothing to get excited about and I'm sure there are way better hotels in Dresden.

Room Tip: Try to get one that doesn't look over the main road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Munster, Germany
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in September, and the hotel was certainly adequate. Clean, the room was quiet and big enough, there is cable TV and wireless internet connection. The staff is very friendly, the breakfast selection good (but not great). There is a bar, but I was a little disappointed by the rather small selection of wines (3 whites and 3 reds by the glass).

The overall appearance of the place is a bit dated (in all areas of the hotel), which is a good reason to take a step outside and stroll along the river Elbe, which is a short walk (400m) away.

Overall, this is not the place where I would necessarily take my family, but if you are on your own and if you can get a good proce, this is a perfectly reasonable option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Paris
Reviewed December 19, 2011

My stay at the Am Blauen Wunder was pleasnat. The staff are friendly and accomodating.
The rooms are standard, with essentials provided.

I did not have a very good sleep due to persisting air conditioning noise.
On the other hand, the breakfast was tasty and fresh. lots of choices available.

The hotel is about 10 minutes by taxi from the main Dresden train station.

My only complaint is the price of the WiFi - at 4 euro per hour, its just too expensive to be justified.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Wanderlust_6282
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2004

I stayed here twice in spring 1999 and fall 2000. This is a medium sized hotel a 10 minute tram ride from the Aldstadt. The rooms are quite large by European standards and clean (as is every hotel room in Germany), but the furniture is dated, possibly left over from the Communist era. The area is quiet and safe, and the Blue Wonder bridge is a short walk away. The tram stop is a 45 second walk from the hotel. The staff are polite, helpful but reserved, and the staff at the front desk all speak English. The breakfast buffet is decent, and the one meal I ate in the restaurant was good but not memorable. Perfectly acceptable hotel, but nothing special or memorable. It is the most convenient hotel to the medical school / institute.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member