“disappointing meal, disinterested service equals dissatisfied customers”
Review of Dresden 1900

Dresden 1900
Ranked #32 of 979 Restaurants in Dresden
Cuisines: Diner, German, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Innere Altstadt
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A gimmicky restaurant themed on vintage trams, with appropriate décor and memorabilia - the seats are the wooden seats of the old trams, the waiting staff wear what I imagine to be the peaked caps of tram conductors and there is even a vintage tram further in the dining area. At first sight, this quirkiness, plus a menu that listed some unusual dishes under ‘Old German Favourites’, attracted us in. However, once inside and seated a closer inspection showed it to be rather tacky – the conductors caps worn by the staff had seen better days, the old wooden tram seats uncomfortable (the thin cushion doing nothing to ease the discomfort) and the staff rather slovenly in appearance and not particularly welcoming or friendly. We wondered if we had made the right choice, and it turned out that we hadn’t.

Plumping for the local speciality from the list of ‘Old German favourites’ I had ‘Batzen’, or ‘Dresden Lump’, described as roast pork with hearty roast potatoes, bacon and cabbage. It was certainly a very large piece of pork (at least the ‘lump’ description was accurate), but this was full of gristle and fat, and undercooked. Conversely, the potatoes were slightly overdone with a few blackened edges and burnt bits of bacon (but edible for all that), while the cabbage was – predictably - a mound of sauerkraut. My wife had the steak, which was a reasonable size but very tough.

When I complained about the pork being full of gristle and undercooked, all I got was a shrug and a sympathetic ‘I’m sorry’ look from the waitress. It was returned largely uneaten, but there was no offer of another dish or a price reduction.

The service was also poor, with the waiting staff seeming to be more interested in joking amongst themselves behind the bar or chatting to customers with who they were obviously friendly.

All in all a disappointing evening and the poorest meal we had during our holiday in Germany.

1  Thank malabarfly

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wow, went a bit late at 9:30 but did not expect this one. We came in and there was no hostess so we asked the bartender who was right at the entrance where we could sit. He was clearly plastered and said what ever. We sat down at the closest booth and then noticed he gave his coworker the finger and they all just about fell down laughing. We waited and waited and were passed several times - I have to hand it to them, I was to Dresden in the communist days and they have perfectly recreated the bad service and drunken employee reception of the old DDR - great atmosphere if you want to take a step back and experience the communist years. Highly recommended, totally authentic!!

1  Thank garuy
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had lunch in Dresden 1900. The waitress was very nice and spoke good English. The atmosphere, very calm.
In the middle of the restaurant, something you don't expect: a tram. Beautiful.
The price was really OK.
I had a tomato & orange soup: excellent.
But, if you go there, you must absolutely taste the local delicacy: Eierschecke (the typical dresdner cake).

1  Thank AndyBeat
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The restaurant looked nice from outside so we sat down at a table ordered a beer and looked at the menu. Being a fan of joint meat i.e lamb shank and the like we both ordered pork shoulder which when it came looked like dog food, the waitress could have warned us that it was in jelly and we might not like it. After finally attracting the attention of the waitress she took away 70% of the food we had left and we were going to order a dessert...30 minutes later still no bill or any sign of the waitress that served us so we went to the desk to pay, they didn't even recognise us and we had to tell them which table we were at, terrible service avoid unless taking your dog out for a treat .

2  Thank leonidasthewookie
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have visited this restaurant twice. On the first occasion whilst the service was slow, but, the waitress was pleasant.
Tonight, having waited 25 minutes for my drink to arrive, I walked out.
Like a previous reviewer my German is not good and I sometimes struggle with conversation. That is no excuse for rudenes and I have never found a restaurant with such rude and ignorant staff as I have met tonight.
Their loss but my advice to anybody would be do not enter the place unless you want to risk having your view of Dresden as a Beautiful tourist location tarnished forever.

1  Thank Tony S