“Great food and service!”

Schmidt's Restaurant & Gourmetcatering
Ranked #23 of 983 Restaurants in Dresden
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This restaurant is out of city but deserved to be #1 for food and service. Very small cozy place. I had lunch with my coworkers and we enjoyed food and taste. Noticed unique feature of daily changes into menu. Definitely recommend to try at least once..

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We really enjoyed the evening in Schmidt's. The food was amazing, really, really amazing. We will definitely go there again next time we are in Dresden.

Pros:
- Best food (ever!)
- Affordable price
- Nice atmosphere (not at all crowded on a Wednesday evening)

Cons:
- Outside city center (so you have to know it)
- We went there by car, so I do not know whether there is a bus bringing you there. I presume not.

1  Thank LausanneNel
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is a little out of the way place in Hellerau, but was it a find!

It is located in an old furniture factory premises, now housing bunch of offices. The premises have a particular unique feel, with the cobblestoned courtyard that led to the main 3-story building, with this restaurant located to your side as you enter, in a little annexe. The decor of the place reflects this past to present trajectory very well. The ceiling reminiscent of the industrial heritage, the no-nonsense furniture with good clean lines making it at home among the surrounding offices. Table-tops uncluttered yet inviting. It reminded me very much of the wabi-sabi feel that a lot of cool Japanese joints evoke.

Food was top class, with lots of attention to developing complex flavors through sauces and drips around the entree. I ordered the bass filet, which was cooked to the best perfection I have ever had in Germany. It was very moist and still flaked effortlessly. The sauce was a foamy shellfish flavor that went just perfect with it. The sides of avocado antipasti and risotto went very well with it. The plating was topped with some flower petals, I was told they were elderflowers and were edible. But I didn't see much contributions of the flowers on the taste side. The presentation was elegantly minimalist, and was completely in tune with the ambiance in general.

For dessert, we ordered the creme brulee, which was blue tinged, and came with Grape compote and a tomato bread. The tomato bread was very nice and would do very well for some other occasions, but here I felt it did not go that well with the creme brulee, which was really good.

The wait-staff had a warm and courteous manner, and made good effort to explain everything to a non-German speaking guest.

This definitely belongs in my must-do list for any upcoming visits to Dresden.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Going to Dresden for business, looked up tripadvisor beforehand to find a place for dinner in my last night. Schmidt's seemed the obvious choice, given the raving reviews. Sadly for me, my experience was nothing like the others' appear to have been. Service, so praised by most, was ok but nothing out of ordinary. Given that many tables had several people, they may have not get too excited with a stan alone customer.
My starter, goose liver, was good but not special in any sense. My main, recommended by the waitress, was veal with a sweet potato puree and some diced vegetables. It was not bad, but not exciting either. The highlight was the puree. I went with a glass of the local wine the waitress suggested. Rather pricey (10 euros), but a very bad fit. In the end, I didn't have the enthusiasm for dessert (rare for me).
All that cost me €44, not a lot, but I would say not cheap for what I got. If you add up another €44 for the taxi both ways (which is what anyone centrally located would have to pay), then it actually becomes quite pricey. My feeling is that I would have done much better by eating in the hotel or in a nearby restaurant.
Maybe I was unlucky, and when trying out restaurants this happens sometimes. But I even double checked the name of the restaurant as I left, to be sure it was the same so talked about here (it was).

2  Thank dei40
Reviewed November 6, 2013

As tourists in Dresden, we were a bit concerned when the taxi cab took us waaaaay out of the city (it's actually not that far), into what appeared to be a business complex. But hidden in the courtyard was this little jewel of a restaurant. It is a nice blend of traditional Saxon produce and proteins with a more modern preparation. Although there were a few misses on the food, it was well worth it for the inventiveness. Throughout our meal, servers kept adjusting the menu board--crossing out certain things and changing others--so this is true fresh and on the spot cooking. The best part of the experience was the service. We have dined in Michelin starred restaurants and in several countries, but the service at Schmidt's really stood out. One thing that I really appreciated was that our server very patiently read us the German menu in English. He also took the time to explain the ingredients that we weren't familiar with. I would certainly never expect someone to do this for me abroad, and would never ask for it. The fact that he and the other servers went out of the way for us really says a lot about this restaurant and the experience they are trying to create.

1  Thank travelbug199