“Very good semi vegetarian restaurant, well worth visiting!”

Restaurant brennNessel
Ranked #55 of 940 Restaurants in Dresden
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sheffield, England
“Very good semi vegetarian restaurant, well worth visiting!”
Reviewed September 6, 2009

My girlfriend and I visited BrennNessel in September 2009 and loved it. The restaurant is situated about 5 minutes walk from Zwinger in a quiet street and has indoor and outdoor seating areas. The indoor area is very cosy and makes the whole place feel very friendly and relaxed which makes it perfect for a meal with friends or a partner, but not really ideal for a business dinner. The outside area is very quaint and reminded me of a French café courtyard rather than a restaurant in Dresden. Whilst we were eating outside, Buddhist monks kept walking past and into a building at one side of the yard, but we’re still not sure why they were there!

Although tripadvisor lists this as a vegetarian restaurant, there are a few meat dishes available. You can see the menu on their website (they have an English menu available on request in the restaurant), but as an overview, the dishes are generally unique and there were so many things we wanted to try, we visited twice during our 3 night stay in Dresden (this would have been 3 times if our budget had allowed!) A few of the dishes use nettles as their basis (Brennnessel means [stinging] nettle in German) and I found the nettle soup especially nice, if slightly expensive at €4. There is a big choice of juice drinks, along with the usual wines, beers etc. but we found there to be slightly too few desserts (about 4 available I think). As a vegetarian, I avoid animal rennet in cheese and so the only thing I found lacking was the fact that the menu didn’t mention if the cheese was vegetarian, which narrowed the choices down.

There’s not much to say about the service except that it was good and friendly.

Overall, very good and definitely recommended to vegetarians (also meat eaters) visiting Dresden.

• Hebrew first