All reviews porta nigra great location major sites decent shower train station roman gate free parking pedestrian area the room was nice main attractions germany elevator luggage bedding
Reviewed July 21, 2018

Smallish room. Adequate bathroom (shower only) No air conditioning. No room safe.

Good choice at breakfast, which can be taken on the terrace, but one morning an (American?) tour group descended early on the buffet like vultures, and there seemed to be little expectation by the hotel management that arrangements needed to be made to replenish the buffet for other guests.

Own good free parking nearby.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

The rooms would certainly need an update the interior was like straight from the 1980’s.. Our room was on 4th floor and the temperature was really high when we arrived. One reason is the ceiling window in the corridor and the other the floor heating being on in the bathroom in July!? There were black spots on the toilet ceiling - maybe threre is some sort of a problem with the humidity and even mold (?). The hotel’s location is excellent.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

Right after we checked in today there was a medical emergency down in the lobby. My daughter called me down to help because I am a nurse...but when I arrived in the lobby the wonderful staff was handling things like professionals. Sonja Knodt and Anthony Ayo were calm and comforting to the injured person. They had already called an ambulance before I got there, and were busy doing exactly what I would have done. The ambulance came and took the person, and they both went right back to their regular duties...and cleaning an unpleasant mess calmly and methodically. Great doesn't even come close to describing these two. You should be proud to have such compassionate and caring employees. I will be back to stay here again for the. gorgeous hotel...but you can't get this kind of service in most places.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank jflentje
Reviewed June 5, 2018

My wife and I chose the hotel because of its location and less than five minutes walk from where our friends live. The location, next to the Porta Nigra and the pedestrian area is excellent and we would stay there again, but we had two disappointments. One was the very hot room 411, with small windows and little outside air and with, curiously, the underfloor heating in the bathroom still on. The second disappointment was my steak at dinner. I ordered a rare steak but the steak I was served was, at best, medium. The hotel, at its instigation, replaced the steak and I then realised what the problem was - the steak had been frozen and not fresh before it was cooked and it is almost impossible to serve a rare (very red) steak that had been frozen.

Room Tip: Rooms with large windows on the quieter floors
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2018

Great room with an incredible view and only 100 yards from the Roman gate. Clean room with comfortable beds and a decent shower. The only down side would be that like other historic hotels it offers heat but no cooling... we were here during a mini heat wave with temperatures in the mid eighties and had to sleep with all the windows open. There was a nice restaurant in the hotel but we did not stop in. Outdoor dining was also offered. Trier is a beautiful city with a history dating back to Roman times.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor (5th floor for Americans) which offered a breathtaking view of the city and surrounding hills.
Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family