“Pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Trier
Manchester, UK
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We visited Trier for the Christmas market and every other hotel was full, which is why we stayed at the Arcadia. I wasn't expecting much given the rather negative reviews, but our 3 night stay was good.

I expected the location to be a bit further out of the city than it actually is; we had no trouble walking to and from the hotel. The staff were fine; more formal than friendly, but certainly not unpleasant. Most of the other guests seemed to be older Germans on coach trips. We had a late night on Friday and got back to the hotel at about 1am. The main doors were locked and we couldn't get in, but a member of staff noticed us and opened the doors. That struck me as fairly unusual but it wasn't a problem.

My room was large, clean and nicely decorated; much better than I was expecting after reading other reviews. The bottle of water mentioned by others had a piece of paper wrapped around it clearly stating that it costs €3.50. I can only assume that the hotel has taken on board the negative comments about people assuming it was free, which is a good sign.

My only gripe is the charge for the wi-fi. I agree with others that wi-fi ought to be free in this day and age, especially in a 4 star hotel! It cost me about £10 for 24 hours which is pretty outrageous. The TV had no English channels as others have said, but that didn't bother me. There was no way to make tea or coffee in the room either, but again that was a small inconvenience.

Overall I was impressed with the Arcadia and I would consider returning, depending on the price in comparison with the Park Plaza where I've stayed previously. The Park Plaza is better decorated and better located, but the Arcadia is a nice hotel and undeserving of some of the more negative reviews in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was a convenient stop off point on our tour across Europe. Reception staff allocated us our room very quickly and efficiently. Room was better than we expected - having read some of the reviews. It had been refurbished and was quite large and clean with a flat screen tv. However, there was no free wi fi, no English language channels on the television - and a charge for what first appeared to be complimentary bottle of water. The breakfast was satisfactory with efficient rather than friendly service. The location is convenient for the Roman amphitheatre and a 15 minute walk to the Porta Negra - not the 10 minute walk as suggested! In summary, very good very an over night stop, but not one for a destination hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel 5 nights in June 2012 for a summer course in the ERA and the only thing positive I can say is that the hotel is in the ERA centre, which is convenient. For the rest, I can say that I will never come back. First, the staff is totally unpleasant, unhelpful… and liar. A friend tried to call me in my room. She had to call me on my mobile because noboby was answering at the reception desk, although I had seen someone being at the reception desk a few minutes before. So I went down to the reception asking her why she did not answer and transfer the call ? She told me very rudely that nobody had called and that my friend had certainly a wrong number. In front of the woman, I called my friend by my mobile phone, and asked her to call again the hotel and.. guess what ? the phone rang of course. In fact they simply do not answer the phone at the reception desk. It happens to me 3 times during the 5 days stay ! They do not care, this is unbelievable. Another thing: I did not take any breakfast during my stay but, when paying my stay at the reception desk, the person at the reception (another woman also very rude) wanted to charge me the breakfasts. I had to protest. She eventually did not charge the breakfast but I had to fight for this… Again : incredible.

Let's talk about the room. As I entered in the room, the door handle wad broken and stayed in my hand. A strong smell of humidity was floating in the room. The very old TV was not working at all. I asked this to be fixed. The guy at the reception said that he could not fix it now because he had to stay at the reception (nobody else working there ??)… The room was not made one or two days during my stay and to "make the room" means only to order the pillows on the bed, braid way too smal (do not cover the shoulders…). No change of bottle shampoo, neither the bath towel nor the shower gel. The matrimonial bed is in fact two single beds put together (but a hole is still there in the middle), The only positive thing is that the room is quite spacious

Well, in summary, do not go there. There is a little hotel very close to this hotel which seems better. I was not there but my colleagues were staying there and said it was ok.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Spock1050

Travelers are raving about these Trier hotels

Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

This was a pleasant stay for us, a nice room with a bathtub! Regular hotel room, the carpet was a bit worn down, and the bed was two beds put together. The staff was pleasant, but didn't remember that we didn't speak German, even after two days... No English channels on the old tv, and if you've been to Rome, don't come here for the old ruins. We didn't't see the Breakfast-fee (15euro per person!) until it was too late, because it is only described online, and wifi was 5euro per half-hour... There was not mentioned a price anywhere at the hotel, or in the information booklet in the room... Otherwise it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was our first stop over hotel before beginning our cycle tour from Trier to Koblenz, which incidently was fantastic. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. We were allocated a family room, although clean seemed too large just for the two us. The room looked a little dated. The TV was old and we was unable to change channels, which would have been ok if it wasn't stuck on a children's cartoon channel! On entering the room following a tour of the local area there was a musky odour that wasn't noticable on our initial arrival, thus if we were staying more than one night we would have requested a change of room. The beds were very comfy. The breakfast provided was very good with a good selection. Overall, the hotel was good for an overnight stop over and met our required needs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmö
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

This hotel has changed chain several times in the past years. Things have not improved.
The decor was, to say the least, not very inspirational; and the furnishing rather frayed (and not only at the edges). The television set was old-styled – there was supposed to be CNN and CNBC but they did not work and the other channels were just German ones. Minimal amenities of sub-average quality. The ventilation was very noisy.
The Internet charges were not outrageous but wifi should really have been included standard and not an extra. I would have chosen another hotel simply on this ground alone (unless the room is very cheap or there is something very special that compensates for this fault, which I always let the management know). But the booking this time was done by the conference organizer, so I have no choice.
Don't imagine that the half-bottle of water displayed with glasses and opener is complimentary. At check out you will as usual be asked whether you have taken anything from the minibar, to be followed by a reminder "not even the bottle of water on the desk?". This is the set-up of the hotel and the staff is complicit in this dishonest scheme. I hate money-making traps like this.
No "Do not disturb" signs in the room — why?
I also prefer not to see the prominent display of magazine with pictures of scantily dressed women advertising inter alia for paid "adult movies". I don't know how much the room rates are but I guess they don't come cheap. The only reason to stay at this hotel is its proximity to the Europäische Rechtsakademie (ERA) right opposite the hotel. But it really is more pleasant to stay in the centre even if you have a conference at the ERA.
The bathroom was however very clean and the bed sheets were fresh and crispy – nothing you can fault with German Sauberkeit.The breakfast was also quite OK, but nothing exceptional.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank strakur74
brussels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

The service of this hotel is very poor.

I was there the night of November 21. The rooms are very small with a basic bathroom. Some of the electricity sockets did not work. TV was old. Beds are uncomfortable, at least for those of us who are not German.

But all that would have not prompted me to write a review. What really shocked me was the service of the hotel. I arrived at the hotel at 21.45 after a long journey by train. There was a waitress serving some food and I asked her whether I could also order some dinner. She told me that it was impossible because the kitchen was closed. When I pointed to the waitress and the receptionist that the menu of the room service indicated that the hotel served until 22.30 (it was only 21.55) and asked if they could at least prepare a sandwich, they simply said that they had already closed the kitchen.

Amazingly, this hotel is supposed to host the speakers and students of the ERA institute.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business