“As good as 4*”

Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Trier
London
“As good as 4*”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were meant to stay at the NH hotel - but the NH closed down a few months before we travelled (probably a blessing in disguise). We ended up booking this hotel on booking.com.
Hired a car from Frankfurt Hahn - 1 hour drive to Trier - rather easy, always straight - piece of advice - if you fly to Hahn, make sure you book the shuttle to Trier as it gets fully booked quickly www.flibco.com or hire a car.
The hotel was well located, in the city centre, easy to find, 5 minutes walk to Porta Nigra.
Booking this hotel was a good move - nothing was too much trouble.
I rang on the day to ask for a twin room - they changed our booking to a twin. I also called later to advise of our late arrival and to enquire if there was an iron and iron board in the room (had to go to a wedding the next morning in the St Paulin chuck - a must-see). The receptionist said it would get it delivered to the room. Both were waiting for us in the room when we got there. The room was large, located on the first floor, at the back; we had to walk on a balcony to get to it. There was enough space for 2 suitcases and plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom had an lovely walking shower. The TV was big enough with a strangely simplified remote and loads of channels. The beds had hypoallergenic duvets and comfy pillows. Little sachets of Haribo were left on the bed, as a welcome gift - a cute touch.
One of the review said the room has bathroom amenities - it's basically a dispenser in the shower - you might want to bring your own if you have sensitive skin or if you do like to use 2 different products for hair and body!
The car park has about 20 spaces and is chargeable - around 7 euros a day. WIFI is free but a code is needed - you can pick it up from reception - 1 per device.
We didn't try breakfast - plenty of places to go for breakfast in Trier.
The staff was all very helpful and accommodating - I would definitively recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeremy D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Minnesota
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am accustomed to the old-fashioned German hotel with creaking stairs, think blankets, and a massive buffet breakfast. When i walked into Ante Porta Stadthotel, I knew that this was something quite different. First, the modernistic lounge and breakfast areais mostly lime green; the bedroom room opened to an external hallway. The room was well though out with good WiFi and plenty of plug-ins. After two days, I realized that i would likely choose this particular hotel concept over the creaky stair version. The breakfast was excellent, the room was comfortable, and the staff professional. The Porta Nigra and the heart of Trier was less than ten minutes away by foot. I always enjoy my stays in Trier whatever the lodging but I really enjoyed the whole package this time.

Room Tip: The rooms are arranged to minimize street noise. Good design.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

On September 2012 my wife and I enjoyed a three night stay at Hotel Ante Porta in Trier. It has a very good location with an easy 10 min walk to the old town and perhaps no more than 5 min away from Porta Nigra, one of the most famous landmarks in Trier.

The staff was very helpful and attentive, the breakfast buffet was excellent and well stocked. Our room was on the second floor and looked brand new with very modern furniture, very confortable beds, and a wide selection of TV channels. It also had something very useful, electric window shutters. The bathroom was also very modern and properly supplied with toiletries.

All in all it was one of the best hotel we stayed in during a three week trip through Germany. Its clasification of a three star superior is very well deserved, and probably at the upper end of this ranking. You will not go wrong staying at Ante Porta and enjoy Trier.

JB Esquivel H

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank josebenjamin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I had one night here in August 2012. The room I stayed in had lime green carpet, which was part of the common decor throughout. Won't be to everyone's tasted, but I liked it. In relation to the room it was spacious, clean and quiet. Everyhting you need for one night or a weekend break. The hotel is a short walk to the main part of the town, but wouldn't want it to be too much longer.

Didn't have breakfast.

If I was ever back in Trier I would probably stay here again, because I felt it offered value for money.

Stayed August 2012
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Ante Porta(m) was everything we expected and more. Pricewise, it was a real bargain, at €70 per night! Breakfast is a good deal better than 'just normal'. Our room (302) was large and quiet. Incidentally, the hotel is indeed only 4 stops from the rail station on bus 86, but bus 1 will take you only to the city centre. The immediate vicinity is untouristy and authentically German. Locals are friendly and helpful, especially if you try to speak German. The city is small enough to get around on foot (except for the Roman amphitheatre).

Room Tip: Choose one at the back or side, if you can. The lift does not serve the 3rd or 4th floors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cambrinus
Escondido, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My 3 sisters and I recently had a wonderful experience staying at the ante porta hotel in Trier.
The hotel is very clean with a fun, upbeat decor, has an excellent location for touring the city on foot, has parking behing the hotel, reliable wifi in the rooms, delicious breakfast.
Most of all we enjoyed the friendliness of the hotel staff. A gentleman named Alex was there every day and was so pleasant with us and spoke excellent English. His personality helped make our stay there most enjoyable. As we left he handed us a bottle of wine to thank us for our stay. We hightly recommend the ante porta hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joan M
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We spent our vacation here in Trier because of the 'Holy Robe Pilgrimage 2012'. We found the rooms in this hotel clean, modern and spacious. I like the mint green color. The hotel is situated just walking distance from Porta Nigra, the city center, about 5 minutes. But I would advice that guests take the Bus No.1 or No.86 from the Trier Train Station, for it will be a 15-20 minute walk. The Bus stop is just about 100 meters from the Hotel. My arm ached after dragging my luggage. If you want to spare money for night coffee or tea, you must bring your small water heater for the room does not have it. Also there is no minibar. Breakfast is just normal, Ham, Cheese, Cereals, Breads, Coffee/tea, Boiled eggs, Scrambled eggs, though not so much Fruits. Plus point is the Wi-Fi in the room and Internet in the Lobby. Staff are also friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple