“Dirty, noisy and unfriendly owner” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilles Hostel Trier

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trier
Hilles Hostel Trier
Ranked #8 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Trier
Sundsvall, Västernorrlands Län, Sweden
“Dirty, noisy and unfriendly owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. It started with meeting the unfriendly owner.
In an email I got the information that it wouldn't be a problem to check in before 16 o'clock. When I arrived at 15:30 she told me that this isn't true. But I was allowed to check in anyway (well, she was already there and talking to me...). she was very cocky and not service-minded at all.

The room had a window, which showed into the hallway, so I had no chance to get fresh air or sleep (because I heard everyone going up and down in the house).

I had buggs in my bed (and the bed looked like someone picked it up from a dumpster) and the sheets where dirty.

the bathroom (which I shared with otheres) was dirty, and I was not able to lock one of the doors.

DONT STAY AT THIS HOSTEL! you will regret it. it is not worth one single euro!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AnnikaS111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Berlin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

The worst hostel I've ever visited, dirt and cockroaches in the room, dirty sheets smelling, obnoxious and rude owner. Council avoided this hostel because my traveling companion took a skin disease due to unsanitary conditions of the hostel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BerlinRichard

Travelers are raving about these Trier hotels

Enschede, Nederland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

This hostel is conviniently located, is very clean, the beds are really comfortable (although the covers were a little short for me - never happenned to me before even with me being a tall girl)... One can come and go as they please, the kitchen is well equiped and even has some free supplies (one assumes these are left behind by previous guests)

The only difficulty I faced was with the "office hours" - there is an arrangement for if you arrive AFTER hours, but not BETWEEN hours! So I had to wait around from 2.30pm until 4.00pm (when they opened again) to be checked in...

Connie, The Netherlands.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Connie N
Turin, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Worst hostel where I have ever been. Very dirty rooms with cockroaches who walked on the floor, a real crap that absolutely do not recommend at all.Traduci testo o pagina web
Forse cercavi: Il Peggior ostello dove io sia mai stato.
The owner was very rude, even the kitchen very dirty, a place that deserves only to be closed due to lack of absolute cleanliness and hygiene, and do not see how Germany can still exist similar accommodation. Unfortunately all the hotels of the city were full and I had to settle for this crap

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank ilGourmettista
hengelo (ov)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

For a budget stay this hostel is more than OK. Clean rooms, clean bathrooms, clean toilets, so all that is OK. The location is great, near the center. Our room was next to the kitchen however and it was extremely noisy one of the three nights we were there ... dad luck. All in all, it was a good double room for € 30 !!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the room next to the kitchen and the front entrance!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank vosdiana
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

We had never stayed in a hostel before, so I was a little apprehensive, but this place was well worth the money, at 18 EUR per person, the rooms were very clean (for a cheap place), decorated nicely and was tucked away far enough that you didn't have much street noise bleeding through. Also the bathrooms were VERY clean and obviously well taken care of. There is a large kitchen downstairs, and a music room with a piano in it as well (great for the bunch of musicians that we are!) Anja and the staff were very helpful via email prior to our arrival and very helpful once we arrived. The hostel is located on Gartenfeldstrasse, and is a perfect walking distance from all things in the town center of Trier. My one and only complaint was the absence of wi-fi, but Anja and the staff said they are working on having that up and running very soon. Great place, and definitely plan to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

The room I stayed in (I think it was room 4 -- a 6-bed room) was fairly clean, but the bathroom clearly needs better ventilation, so the shower was moldy. It looked like it had been a while since the bathroom had been thoroughly cleaned. Luckily I was the first to arrive that day, and I took the bed that had a little shelf and an electrical outlet next to it. If needed, bedding was available for 3 Eur and a towel for 1 Eur (I had my own), they also took a 10 Eur key deposit.

The location is pretty convenient -- about 5 minutes walk from the train station, and quite close to the center of the old city.

The staff were fine -- polite and helpful as you would expect, although I did get a strangely unfriendly response to my e-mail asking whether there are lockers or a secure place to leave my bags. There are no lockers, and the staff seemed shocked that I preferred not to leave my things in an unattended room where up to 5 people I did not know would have the key (also, I learned when I arrived that the doors don't lock automatically, and some people don't realize this, so the people I shared the room with left the door unlocked). Maybe I'm just not used to staying in communal hostel rooms, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want a locker or for them to hold a bag. The luggage was also an issue because they told me I could only check in between 16:00 and 20:00, so after arriving in Trier in the morning, I had to leave my bag in the train station lockers, then later interrupt my visit to Trier to go back to the train station to retrieve it and go check in. Other people arrived at all hours, though, so I don't know why they told me it had to be 16-20:00.

My real problem with Hille's, though, was really with Hille herself, and how she apparently runs the place. After exchanging e-mails about room availability, confirming my stay, and then exchanging e-mails again about the lockers, when I arrived, they said they had no record of my reservation and that they were fully booked. At first the woman at the desk was a bit rude about it, implying that I didn't have a reservation, but then she said it didn't matter and checked me in. I don't know what that was all about, but I suppose it should have foreshadowed what happened later.

Exhausted after a long, hard day of travel, I was trying to settle in and rest relatively early. As they had told me it was fully booked, I figured others would arrive, though I was still the only one in the room. Around 23:00, still awake but in bed, I heard a key in the lock, the door was flung open, and a woman stomped into the room, turned on the light and simply shouted at me "Who are you?!" in a nasty tone, as if I had broken in. I told her my name, and she said "Why are you in this room?" and "this is a big problem" I don't even remember where the conversation went from there -- she was shouting and babbling. Eventually she calmed down a bit and said "I'm Hille." I just stood there, totally confused. After she stopped treating me like a trespasser, she complained about how they are fully booked but some people were in the wrong room, and some girl made up three beds she wasn't supposed to and this was a big mess and she had so many problems and on and on. After a few minutes she simply walked out again -- no apology, nothing -- I stopped her to ask whether I should expect a lot more people to arrive (it was after 23:00 by that point), and she acted like I was an idiot "OF COURSE -- we are fully booked!" She told me that a couple and three girls would also be coming to the room. I decided to read for a while, figuring I wouldn't be able to sleep while 5 other people came in, dumped their luggage, made beds, etc. Around midnight, I gave up and decided to sleep. Just before 1:00, the couple arrived but the others never showed.

I didn't expect 5-star hotel service, but this was unprofessional and rude for any business. If a guest or two behaving in an unexpected fashion can create such upheaval, you're doing something wrong. And even if something unusually problematic happens, bursting into rooms late at night and shouting at guests as if your problems should be their problems is totally inappropriate. I think both the fact that the situation arose and the way the situation was handled are symptomatic of poor management.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo