“Great Staff and Awesome Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Mainz

Hyatt Regency Mainz
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Langley, BC
“Great Staff and Awesome Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I spent 3 nights here with my son. We had not pre-planned our stay, and just showed up to see what was available. We had only planned on spending one or two nights, but wound up staying longer because we enjoyed our stay so much.

The location is great. Your are walking distance to all the local attractions, and situated right on the river.

We asked the front desk to swap out the bedding on one of the two beds in the room, as my son is allergic to feathers, and they managed to sneak into the room and do so just in the time we took to return to our car and bring up our luggage.

Every person working there was happy and greeted us with a smile each time we passed by. They have a very nice restaurant, which served a great buffet breakfast in the mornings and some pretty interesting eats the rest of the day. It was not exactly cheap, but the food was expertly prepared. My son said the lamb he had ordered was the best he had ever had. The lobby bar also offered some nice simpler meals.

Our room came with the Regency Club service, and the club lounge offered wine and beer in the evenings along with a nice selection of hot and cold appies.

The property also had plenty of parking available in their underground parkade. We spent too much time checking out the sights to try out the pool.

Yes, you can find cheaper, but the staff here really did spoil us.

The huge bathroom was awesome, with a rain shower next to the soaker tub. It even had a heated mirror in shower for shaving.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LangleyVagabond
Otto_Steenbeek_HRM, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mainz, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
I would like to thank you for your fantastic comments regarding your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive review. I am delighted that you and your son enjoyed your stay so much, and that you liked the food, the rooms and the staff. Once again, thank you very much and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Konigswinter, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed only one night but there are good reasons for staying here when in Mainz

Staff very friendly. Everything feels/is high quality, Reasonably-sized rooms very well equipped with everything from flatpanel TV to nice bathrobes. Very nice, large bathroom...
Our room (cheapest category) faced inward with view only of loading dock - not inspiring - you may want to ask for/invest in outfacing room.

Interesting architecture in lobby with parts of Fort Malakoff integrated, a nice hangout. Nice pool and whirlpool area. We didn't have food at hotel, so cannot judge quality.

Very nice location at Rhine-Promenade and within very short walking distance you reach the old part of town and downtown shopping area (Augustinerstr.)

We stayed at an off-season weekend night: very fair pricing. One caveat: WLAN free only for first 30 minutes, followed by 18 Euros/24h....

Room Tip: Our room (cheapest category) faced inward with view only of loading dock - not inspiring - you may w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Otto_Steenbeek_HRM, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mainz, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback of Hyatt Regency Mainz. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great time at our hotel and experienced excellent service from our staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed for two nights and booked a club room with a city view. Really the view just looked at another building! The club facilities were okay but the choice of food etc was below what I have experienced at other hotels. The location next to the Rhine is superb but note the hotel is a ten minute taxi drive from the central Mainz station. The hotel is a very easy walk from a secondary station. Re the staff, they could not be faulted and I appreciated this. The room was quite small and impractical for the price charged. Did I enjoy my time there? Yes, I did but I would not return given I think I can do much better elsewhere. I did value the complimentary high speed internet which came with the club room! I did visit the spa but there was no ambience at all compared to other hotels. Other issues made me a touch uncomfortable there also and hence it was a one off visit and a fairly quick one.

Room Tip: Pay for a river view...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that your recent stay with us did not met your expectations. Please accept my apologies and rest assured that I have passed on your comments to the team. I hope we have a further opportunity to demonstrate to you the care and attention we always strive to achieve.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Staff at this hotel go above and beyond to make your stay perfect. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a River View which had a beautiful view. We had booked a club room hoping to have breakfast the next morning before an early train to the airport but the club opened at the time we would have to leave so they packed two breakfast boxes for us to take along. And, they said if we had any spare minutes, we should dash into the restaurant and grab a bite so my husband grabbed coffee and slammed food - all included. And, the night before we needed dinner reservations which kept changing and the staff handled it with efficiency and grace. Just a great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Otto_Steenbeek_HRM, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mainz, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
I would like to thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive review. In addition to that, I am delighted that you were highly satisfied with the team. Once again, thank you very much and I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Interesting facility combining the old (a former fortress) with the new (the modern building). Very well run, professional, friendly and efficient staff. Everything of high quality, from the breakfast buffet to the meeting rooms which are very large with huge windows. Many rooms have a nice view over the Rhine (see Photo) and in the morning you can do some really nice runs along the river, crossing to the other side, around, etc.
I am giving a "terrible" evaluation for value because they charge EUR 18 per day for WIFI. Knowing that the real cost to the hotel is a few dollars max, that most hotels in the world provide it for free and even cheap coffees do so, there is simply no justification for a hotel of this category to charge this amount, except ripping off or fleecing those business travelers who normally do not complain. Check in your search engine "Why are we still paying for hotel Wi-Fi?" or "Travellers 'fleeced' by hotel Wi-Fi charges" for further thoughts.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Rhine river
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Mainz. At the same time I have taken note of your comment regarding free Wi-Fi in the hotel rooms. Indeed, Internet is charged at €18 per 24 hours and we apologise for the inconvenience that this caused. However, I am pleased to inform you that from January 2014, we will offer free Internet to our guests.
We hope to welcome you again soon at Hyatt Regency Mainz.
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The staff are great. The Regency Club room is rather satisfactory, though attention to some details could be improved (for example I type at the desk, which is quite damaged with scrapes). The bed is fantastic. The Regency Club is quite small and gets crowded. For breakfast it is much better to go to the restaurant below, which provided an excellent breakfast buffet.

One thing that this hotel needs to get sorted out -pronto- is its internet connection via Swisscom. It is simply appalling. Even though the Regency Club room includes a connection, the system would not recognise me with the usual room number/surname. In two days I had to get two different vouchers from the -very efficient and apologetic- staff. Trying to get multiple devices to connect means a huge amount of wasted time. Right now my laptop is connected, and so is one of my phones, but I can't get the iPad on (I have a Masters in technology and know my way around an iPad). The connection keeps dropping, you get error messages telling you that there are problems with the payment for your connection (even when you use the free one!). Simply pathetic.

Room Tip: Request a river-view room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Otto_Steenbeek_HRM, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mainz, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
First of all I would like to take the opportunity to say thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the staff and our rooms. Please rest assured that we have taken note of your critical points. We are very sorry that you had trouble logging yourself into the Internet and found it complicated to sign in for every device. Although we very much understand your point, it is true that while you may be able to work with one device for 24 hours without having to log in each time you start working, the use of different devices makes it necessary for you to register more than once. We very much apologise for this inconvenience.
Again, many thanks for your valuable feedback and we trust that we may look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Mainz in the near future.
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed there on recommendation of a friend. Thanks to him. The place has location:close enough to the Frankfurt a.M airport to catch early flights, nice riversite walking and jogging right in front of the door, historic sights and the famous middle rhine valley with all the castles only a short drive away.
Staff was very helpful to point me into the right direction(s).
Food quality was better than in most comparable hotels in the states :-)

Room Tip: river site (east)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you personally for having taken the time and effort to report your experiences on TripAdvisor. It was with great pleasure that I read your compliments about our location, the staff and the food. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Mainz in the near future.