“Great location and staff, poor wifi, few amenities”
Review of Hilton Mainz

Hilton Mainz
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Mainz
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is excellent, on the Rhine and close to the old town. Everything about the room was good from the TV with English channels to the nice bathroom and comfy huge bed. Staff friendly and professionasl. We couldn't get the air conditioning to work but didn't need it really. The thing I really didn't like was the wifi. £20 for 24 hours. In the reception it was free but it was the slowest signal of any hotel I've been in. I use a wifi speed test app. For email it was OK but I found it frustrating to download the paper from home. WiFi is like electricity - you expect it in your room.

Go to the Bocado for breakfast , turn left out hotel and cross road at old tower. A nice menu.

• Stayed: June 2013
HiltonMainzCity, General Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences during your recent stay with us at the Hilton Mainz. It is great to read that you felt most comfortable during your stay in June.

However we are very sorry that not all of our facilities have been to your fullest satisfaction and I want to apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding the air condition in your room. The situation you described is not our standard and corrective actions have been taken with our Maintenance Team in order to avoid such shortcomings in the future and to guarantee the expected Hilton-Standards and quality.

Concerning the internet, we are glad to inform you that we are currently in negotiations with our internet provider to offer a lower price for internet access in the guest rooms. As you already mentioned can our guests use the internet in the public area free of charge.

Receiving feedback from our guests is one of the highest priorities as it allows us to constantly improve our level of service and therefore your comments are very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

p.p. (Roland Rößler)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first quarter of our honeymoon as a central place to see part of Germany. The staff was very nice and helpful and the location was beautiful on the Rhine, close to the train, and easily accessible to beer gardens and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonMainzCity, General Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complimenting review on Trip Advisor! It is great to read that we were able to exceed your expectations. Sharing your friendly remarks with my team was absolutely a highlight.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your honeymoon as well and that we have the pleasure of welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Well situated hotel with the Rhine and the walkway along the river right behind the hotel. A short walk to the old town. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Had breakfast and dinner here and thought the food was great - wide selection and all very tasty! WiFi seems to be free - when you go to login it says it's free for Hilton Honors Gold (and better) members, but they provided a password at the lobby for free, which was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
HiltonMainzCity, General Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your honest feedback on Tripadvisor and I am delighted to read that we were able to exceed your expectations.

In the public area our guests may use the internet with their own laptop or our computers in the meetings area free of charge. We are glad to inform you that we are currently in negotiations with our internet provider to offer a lower price in our guest rooms.

Whilst hoping you had a save trip back home we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for four nights. The hotel is located on the Rhine, nice to get a room with a river view. Great staff, rooms are comfortable, and the location is perfect for walking into Mainz and wandering the streets!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spainlorraine
HiltonMainzCity, General Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to thank you for your most kind feedback about your stay at the Hilton Mainz shared with us and other travellers. Your recommendation is much appreciated and we look forward to the week your travel plans will bring you back to Mainz.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Mainz in may 2013 for 2 nights...and i cant fault it, After arriving from a 24 hour flight from sydney. I was lucky enough to be able to check straight in to my room at 8.30am! and have a nice hot shower and clean clothes before going out to check out the town.which is but a 5 min walk away, the whole town is small and very cute. I found everythimg within walking distance... and was lucky enough to have a friend recomened things to do and which towns to visit...

I found the room to be really roomy, comfy big bed,Tea&coffee making,mini bar, bath/shower..
I had breakfast included in my booking, which i also couldnt fault...It had everything from cereral,fresh fruit,yogurts,cooked everthing!! I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, brewed coffee and fresh juice each day...The only thing i felt that let them down was the Wifi was only free in the lobby which i found impossiable to connect to as did a few people near me...so i had to purchase it in my room , which i find a bit much as i had it free at every other Hotel i went on to stay at on my holiday.... but other than that i would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
HiltonMainzCity, General Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time to share your experience with us and other travellers and for posting this great review on Tripadvisor.

It is a great pleasure for us to see that you were satisfied with our services as well as with the location of Hilton Mainz. The Rhine River, promenade and many small restaurants and shops make Mainz a nice place to relax.

However we are very sorry that not all of our facilities have been to your fullest satisfaction and I want to apologize for any inconvenience caused and we will consider your comments for future concepts.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I always like this hotel, the location and the atmosphere. The remodeling made it more modern but I miss facilities like pool, spa a.s. There is no really bar for last evening drink. I like the place but therer are wishes open.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonMainzCity, General Manager at Hilton Mainz, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your honest feedback on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that we had the pleasure of having you with us once again and that you felt comfortable in our renovated hotel.

It is with much regret that not all of our facilities were to your fullest satisfaction and we would like to consider your comments for future concepts.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I travel light, and when I arrived at the train station, I read on my phone map that the hotel was only about 1 mile away. It was a beautiful day, so I strolled through the city with my light bag. I walked along a pedestrian mall, and then came upon the hotel.

This hotel sits right along the river. The lobby is open and modern, the staff is very pleasant and accommodating. Though I tried to speak my broken German, almost everyone jumped in with perfect English to help me out in the communicating.

Waiting for me on the table was water, wine, and a locally made soft-pretzel to welcome me to the room. When I opened the curtains in my room I had a spectacular view of the river and a picturesque bridge.

The hotel is within a short walk of the old town center, -- just turn left out the front door and make a right after about 4 blocks. You'll pass an old white clock tower. Within an hour I visited the town center, had a cappuccino while sitting on a bench with a breathtaking view of the cathedral, and I also visited the Gutenberg Printing Press museum (Guttenberg did some important work in Mainz).

I recommend lunch in the lobby and dinner at restaurant Heiliggeist located one or two blocks away. Heiliggeist is an old church that has been transformed into a restaurant-- it's pretty amazing.

The hotel room was very comfortable, the WiFi was easy to use, free is you are a Hilton Diamond member, and affordable if you are not.

And take a walk out the back of the hotel-- there is a beautiful walking path along the Rhine River with some incredible trees lining the path.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.