TOP Hotel Hammer
$78
$70
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationfrankfurt airportthe penthousetop floorold townrhine regionshower stalltrams and busesmainz hbfmain stationlocal trainthe hotel websiteperfect locationone night staygood sizeopen the windowstreet noise
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Was traveling for work and other hotels around Mainz hbf were booked out. Fortunately there's room available in hotel top hammer. Location is across railway station, at night it may not look very safe especially if you are a solo traveller but if you just stay inside the hotel it should be fine. I was staying at premium room where the room is modern and clean. Despite facing the railway station, the room has double glassing window and very quiet. The reception is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is cozy hotel. Even though our room faced the central train station it was very quiet (soundproof windows). The room/bathroom were very clean and tidy and despite the quite small size it was wisely designed with space for everything. The staff was helpful, breakfast was OK. The rooms are also equipped with air condition useful in warm days. Location just in front of the central station offers great transportation opportunities (Tip: a daily group card for 2-5 persons for all bus / S ban valid also in Wiesbaden was purchased for 9.1 Euro in the bus info office just a door beside hotel entrance). Mainz's nice old city and it's shopping area is about 15 minutes walk (3 stops by bus 60 or 61).
The overall experience in the hotel was that it is worth the money payed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed Sat-Sun nights on weekend visit while nearby for business. Basic, but very nice hotel, directly across from rail station. Hotel staff were great, late each night helping me with several requests, and assisting in guidance with the area. I splurged and had the new, top floor room - brand new, and very nice, and large....bigger than what I needed. A bit noisy on Saturday night, but I slept well. I enjoyed their excellent, German style breakfast, in a nice room off the lobby. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in October when having one day in the Frankfurt area. We had stayed in Mainz before since it is easy access by train to Frankfurt airport. Since it was our last night on our vacation we splurged and got the upgrade room for a modest fee. It was an excellent room, on the top floor, so we had a good view of the train station across the street but quiet since we were high up. Highly recommend this hotel. Mainz is a great little city to walk around, several interesting sites to see and a great micro-brewery about a 20 minute walk away. Supermarket right around corner.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the "Hammer" for 3 ngts, (last week), thanks to reviews from TA. We were so pleased with our choice...the convenience to the train (HBF) in Mainz (seriously, 100yds, from the station)....personable hotel staff (absolutely willing to assist us "non German speaking" tourists)....to the very nice, comfortable room! We booked directly with TopHammer, who promptly responded to my emails. The room for two was bigger than I expected, and, the bathroom seemed "brand new". Breakfast was included with our booking, too. Our main reason to visit Germany, this week before Xmas, was to go to Christmas markets. The big market in Mainz was about a 10-15min walk from our hotel. The hotel staff constantly helped us with directions, and suggestions for our stay. Our only complaint...the room was sometimes too warm!! (so we opened the window to the plaza) We are both "young"60 ..and, the convenience to the train station, lugging our bags, priceless!! I'm delighted with this choice for Mainz!! Many thanks to Top Hammer staff!! p.s. forgot to mention the very nice sauna area (also, included_

Room Tip: our room was facing the train plaza...delightful, roomy, quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends