“Classic Italian, great pizza and professional service”
Review of Il Mondo

Il Mondo
Ranked #2 of 545 Restaurants in Mainz
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We chose Il Mondo based upon its Trip Advisor rating and they didn't disappoint. My teenage son's diet consists of pizza, pasta and Chipotle so we search out Italian/pizza restaurants in our travels. Il Mondo has some of the best pizza we've had north of Naples. We started with bruschetta. Drizzled with their house spiced up olive oil (I think spiced with hot pepperoncini) it was delicious. The pies were perfection and our house salad delicious. Good wine selection. Nice neighborhood and we were able to park right in front on the street. We'll definitely return if in the Mainz Wiesbaden area again.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

In short, the most satisfying meals in Germany. Service is excellent. Atmosphere is cosy. Want to impress that special someone with a great night out? Start here.

I plan on making this place a must visit each time I travel through Mainz. Try the mama mia pizza :f you like spicy food, it is perfection on a pie.

1  Thank 349tony_t
Reviewed October 7, 2013

It is always a pleasure when I come back to Mainz to go to restaurant Il Mondo. I went with an old acquaintance and we shared one of their classic dishes, Tris di Pasta which consists of equal portions of Truffle Fettuccine, Salmon Pene and Prawn Fettuccine. Together with a half litre of one of the house wines, a Cannonau it was a pleasure from start to finish. Already the waiter approaching with the large platter elicited envious looks from our neighbours as the aroma of the truffles wafted in our direction. And it all tasted as good as it looked and smelled. Simply delicious! Compliments to the Chef.

At this point I should say that I lived in Mainz in the 1990's and got to know this restaurant just a couple of years after it opened in its previous location in the Mainzer Neustadt. Back then it was notable for one of the few fine dining establishments in a not very trendy part of town. So I've seen this restaurant grow and develop on my periodic visits back to Germany, not every year, and it was great to be served by the owner's twenty-something-old son with the same flair as his father used to albeit with somewhat better English.

I can thoroughly recommend this restaurant as one of the best Italian Restaurants I have visited anywhere.

2  Thank Kiwikraut65
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our fist time at the IL Mondo. The atmosphere, décor and staff were all nice, but the food was very disappointing. My sister ordered a filet steak with gorgonzola sauce which consisted half fat, half steak, plus the taste was just not what we're used to from beef filet. When we told the waiter, he explained to us that "Mama" doesn't like to waste things and therefore doesn't throw the fat chunks out. I wondered aloud what kind of a filet has any fat, let alone almost half of the portion and suggested she put the fat into soup and not on the plates of her guests. No apologies, no free cappuccino, no deduction from the price of the steak. We won't be back.

6  Thank Renation
Antonio M, Inhaber at Il Mondo, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear

we really apreciate to be first restaurant, you ever rated.
If your intension was to damage our hard worked good reputation, you might be happy to know, that you were succesful with your misplaced feedback.

We remember exactly that evening and your case.
Please don't forget to say, that your sister ordered her filet absolutely well done.
Normaly we don't offer a good piece of filet cooked like this, because it will become dry and unchewable. Your sister insisted.
So we purposely used the head of filet with a little bit fat tissue.
Also don't forget to say, that your sister got a portion of 320gr, 250gr. filet and 70 gr. filethead with fat tissue to get it more tender. The waiter just tried to explain that. Maybe there were some misunderstandings with language.

When we asked how the meat tastes, your answers were " very good!" and the plates were completely empty.
Why sould offer a cappucino or else?
We are not able to know something has gone wrong, when nobody didn't say nothing.

We regrett, that you did not enjoy the evening in our restaurant and hope to get a new oportunity (FOR FREE)

Thank you very much.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Overall, the restaurant was a great find. The homemade pasta was great and added to the overall evaluation. On the downside, the attention to detail of the waiters was less than desired. There is no air conditioning so durin the summer, weather permits, eat outside on the patio. Stay any from the seafood. The chef over cooks the seafodd.