“Great grub and beer at the Eisgrub-Bräu”
Review of Eisgrub Brau

Eisgrub Brau
Ranked #1 of 519 Restaurants in Mainz
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Pub, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great grub and beer at the Eisgrub-Bräu”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

All week a colleague and I had been at some conference, working and networking, and on the final evening we just wanted to relax and enjoy some traditional German fare. We chose the Eisgrub-Bräu and were glad we did.

First things first: get there early. This place is popular and we were glad to have arrived just after 6:30pm. By the time we'd finished the place was bustling and extremely busy. It's got a patio area out front with some long tables and inside is full of low ceilings, black beams, nooks and crannies. To one side are the mash tuns, used for brewing their beer.

Eisgrub-Bräu is a small brewery (mainly pilsner, weissbier, schwartzbier) and a traditional German restaurant. The menu is long, incorporating lots of pork products, sauerkraut, onions and potatoes, and thorough. There is an English translation, but to be honest, after a week and a few German words under our belts, we were able to understand a lot of the menu in German already. We tried the meter-and-a-half sausage (don't worry, it's wound up in a spiral), the roast pork knuckle (a specialty there, with some gorgeous crackling), the meat plate (including blood sausage, liverwurst, ham, and belly pork) with lashings of sauerkraut and potatoes. I washed it down with the home-brewed schwartzbier, which was excellent.

It was all, to be honest, very good; just what we wanted after our week of working.

• Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
O'Fallon, Illinois
“Traditional Braueri Showcase with average food and service”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I wanted to give this place a top rating because I'm very interested in the brewing arts and this is the finest example of a small traditional brewery set up that I've encountered so far in my month in Germany. In fact, as a braueri it is tops and if you love local craft beer, come here immediately! However, this place is really, really, really busy in the evenings during the summer vacation season. I saw a tour bus pull up outside and 50-60 people entered around 7pm while I was there recently. To Eisgrub Brau's credit however, they know how to handle a crowd and I don't think my experience was diminished except that the service was a little rushed and the food was yummy and hearty - I ordered an old favorite of mine, Saurbraten which was very tasty - but, on the average side of things for the area. Prices are right in line with the area - i.e. I paid about 3,30 Euro for a .30l brew and I think about 9 ish Euro for my entree. The place is incredible with a cave like setting inside providing a perfect showcase for their traditional open fermentation brewing techniques (this was really special as it's almost unheard of in the U.S.) as well as seating next to their layering tanks. It truly is a beautiful space and if you care about brewing and seeing the old German tradition up close please visit. Just beware that this place is squarely on the tourist map (as I'm sure readers of the lonely planet guides already know - that's how I found it!) and if you go around dinner time in the summer be prepared to deal with hordes of tourists as well as large groups of local university looking folks coming here to enjoy tasty traditional braueri food and wonderful hausbraueri bier!

• Visited August 2012
New Jersey
“Great food, nice souvenir mugs! It's also neat to see the brewery!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stopped in Eisgrub Brau for lunch just after a walking tour of Mainz. Our meal was very tasty. I have no idea what we ordered, but I will attach a photo! Whatever it was, it tasted great! We also purchased some mugs and home made beer for souvenirs. The homemade beer is not pasteurized, so it only lasts 10 days!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank suven
Pearland, Texas
“Great Atmosphere, Good food and German beer in a perfect setting”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Beer is awesome! The cave setting is so fun and cozy and it makes it a great place to have cold beer with friends. The food and drinks are relatively inexpensive, may be because Mainz is a college town. We didn't sit outside, but the patio looked very nice and there is not much traffic on the road. The staff is good and very friendly.
Word of advice get the 3 liter or 5 liter tube if you are with friends, you won't go wrong. Putten schnitze was the best I had in the area :)

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank ravifour
“amazing schnitzel!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My mother, brother, and I enjoyed the most amazing schnitzel at this restaurant. The mushroom and Hawaiian versions were especially delicious. This was one of the most amazing meals that we had during a week-long trip to Rhineland and certainly one of our most memorable experiences overall.

The atmosphere is fun and the beer is plentiful. Walk all the way around the inside restaurant to check out their onsite brewery (a quick trip to the bathroom should take you around that way).

This restaurant is very friendly to Americans and has have an English menu. Do yourself a favor and grab dinner at one of the best attractions in Mainz!

• Visited May 2012