“good choice!!”

Thelbridge Cross Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Witheridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently attended a family wedding here, never knew it existed! Very professional and friendly staff .with ample size bar, events room, with patio doors leading to gardens. The food which was a set menu of soup, roast beef, apple pie was of high standard, only slight criticism is small quantity of veg and maybe serve in serving dishes for guests.
Oldie worldie type pub/hotel, serving quality food, with the added advantage of be able to cater for events in a professional, friendly manner. Although I didnt book a room I am reliably informed they were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank countrygirlSomerset

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My new wife and I had not been on a honeymoon and a couple of friends gave us a Red Letter voucher and we booked the Thelbridge Inn. In future I will book direct.
When we arrived we were 1 1/2 hours early to check in and the staff were more than accommodating to let us check in then.
As I mentioned I have recently been married so I wanted something a little special so the staff put a bottle of sparkling rose on our table for dinner (this was a lovely touch!).
Dinner was fantastic (especially the steak, it was cooked to perfection) and the service was ace, I could not fault a thing. I would love to have the recipe for the pate I had as well!
The rooms were very clean and tidy and probably one of the best nights sleep I've had.
I you love the English countryside this is defiantly the place to be, Who knew England was so pretty!
The bar is very comfortable and warming and there is, what seems to be a note from all around the world, this was so fascinating and brought character to the bar.
It is my wife’s birthday in November and we are hopefully going to return then.
Value was exceptional and the staff were attentive and very helpful especially the manager, which we had a really nice conversation at the bar and the Guinness was poured to perfection and went down lovely.
If you want a relaxed break with a warm welcome, great food/drink, excellent service and the views to boot book the Thelbridge Inn!!
A BIG! BIG! Thank You to all the staff for making our weekend a very memorable and enjoy full one, hope to see you soon :-)

From John and Lizzie Gill

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrGill2013
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Recently stayed here, very impressed with the food and the staff, the girl who greeted us on arrival was really helpful. You must have the Thelbridge potatoes, they are really delicious.
Not so impressed with the rooms, could do with some updating.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BakersAH
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Whilst visiting relatives in Umberleigh my family decided to eat at the restaurant and the food was excellent. We enjoyed in that much we booked to have Sunday dinner and it agin was excellent, the roast potatoes were the best I ever tasted. The service was excellent and accommodating for children and nothing was never too much.

I can't wait to go back and have dinner

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Tina L
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having returned from a family wedding here at the weekend, i feel i need to share our experience here at 'The Thelbrigde"
We are located a 4 hour drive from here, to ease the stress of travelling on the day we had no option other than book for 2 nights, after i rang the week prior to the wedding asking if we could check in ealier than 2pm in order to change & freshen up for the 2 pm wedding... NO was my answer!
The rooms at the Thelbridge are dated, tierd & very small, although were clean, apart from the showers which had hairs left in the plug holes. We booked two rooms, our children had a room which was a double bed & matress on the floor which obstructed the exit. "The Thelbridge" sell this has a "3 bedded room!" & also charged for a 3 bedded room.
Family & friends met in the bar after a long day of travelling, this was lovely, the atmoshpere was great until the landlord decided that we should all retire to bed! he was rude & really did not show any repect for the paying customers in his pub. This same happened again on the night of the wedding, yes it was 1 am but we were at a wedding & had all paid a lot of money to be here.
On the plus side, all the staff were very friendly & helpful.... apart from the owners... who really gave the impression they would have prefered us to leave.
Breakfast was lovely, great service & lovely selection on the menu, however no fresh fruit... both mornings i decided to have the Haddock with poached egg, unfortunatly on the Sunday i also had a long hair in my meal,very off putting. We ate our evening meal at the "Black dog" which is a short drive away, this was wonderful, i can recommend this.
We were overall disapointed with how we were treated but it did not spoil a lovely family day. We would not return to the Thelbridge, really feel it was a long way off 4 star.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank louis2000
Reviewed August 5, 2013

If I had to raise a criticism of this place it would be the size of the room which is a tad on the snug side but let's face it, the room's only for sleeping in and to this end it was very clean and very comfortable.

On the other side of the coin, despite being situated next to the very large car park with the access lane right next to the window, the room was very private and totally soundproof. While we were there, the Inn had functions on a couple of nights which resulted in the car park being full until closing time when everyone left at more or less the same time and we never heard a sound.

First sight of this place gives a strong impression of it being a country pub, but in reality the bars are an ancillary to the dining room so generally service only house guests and the odd local popping in for a drink after work. The core of the business appears to be the restaurant where Ria works daily magic with very fresh ingredients, most of which are produced in the Inn's own garden by Ria's husband Bill. I had almost forgotten the taste of eggs and vegetables which were sourced within feet of the dining table. The meals are tasty, well prepared and presented and VERY large. Most nights we could only manage to eat (most of) the main course and had to sadly pass on entrees and dessert.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, adding a personal touch which goes such a long way to ensuring all their guests leave as friends. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they were all ready to give advice, suggestions and helpful hints on what to see, visit and do in addition to making our stay comfortable and memorable.

There is a word of caution though. The Inn is well located to be handy to everything which also means that it is close to nothing. Unless you really enjoy driving long distances down narrow country lanes, this may not be for you. On the other hand if you like a quiet place for a getaway in beautiful country with lovely people looking after your needs, then this is just the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tizer2
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Lovely meal great service , well done to all, good selection of choice on menus and beers,we live local and have never been disappointed.we both had the Sunday roast, the lamb I had was locally sourced, it was melt in your mouth meat, BEAUTIFUL,my partner had the beef, just as nice,roast potatoes were to die for,choice of 5 veg , came separate with the potatoes , good wine menu too.Staff dressed very smartly, very friendly,and really helpful

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevinscooter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witheridge
The Mitre Inn
The Mitre Inn
#1 of 4 in Witheridge
Heron House B&B
Heron House B&B
#2 of 10 in Bampton
0 mi away
South Coombe Country Cottages

Been to Thelbridge Cross Inn? Share your experiences!