“Basic stay at Koblenz”

Ranked #1 of 10 Koblenz B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Basic stay at Koblenz”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

A basic hotel in Koblenz. It is situated at the waterside which is it main attraction. Breakfast is good for the type of hotel. The rooms are very basic, with old furniture and a bathroom from the 70's. My main objection to the hotel was that if there was a fire we were quite trapped in the upper room. If you can afford more, do so and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travellerfromholland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bad Sackingen, Germany
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I was just on a one night stay in Koblenz on my tour through the romantic Rhein-Valley and had great luck to accommodate with the Kleiner Riese – it was already the warm hearted welcome at the desk that made me feel welcome right away, before I realized that the whole place breathes a certain charm and warmth that has become rare in our today’s commercialized and therefore standardized world. At walking distance from the train station and right at the Rhein-riverside in the heart of Koblenz, you will find a real friendly and comfortable place with all the needs for a successful vacation. I was surprised by the spacious and fine equipped room with a great dimensioned window for the beautiful Rhine panorama. It’s quiet and exclusive location at the riverside let me sleep like a baby while at daytime I had a relaxing 10-15 min. walk along the river promenade into the old city center. Koblenz is a really great place with a special medieval flair and a modern face, gently and joyful people and I found the Kleiner Riese a perfect outset for my romantic Rhine tour – by the way, the cruise stop for river excursions is right across the hotel. I was really happy with the friendly and helpful young staff that orientated me and gave me insights in the week’s highlights. After a heartful breakfast on the large sunny terrace I got inspired by this fine place that I left it with a strong wish to come back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Metapheus
Leicester, England
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hotel has lovely public areas and a terrace overlooking the Rhine but the rooms can be ridiculously small. There is no road along the Rhine here so it is nice and quite. We took the last two single rooms. One was so small that the bed was wedged between the shower room and the outside wall. The other up on the fourth floor in the attic though was fine but you could either have the window open or the blind closed but not both. I found the night porter helpful but he speaks no English. Breakfast was good. There are 5 parking places. The Hotel is a good 15 minutes walk from the old town. Overall worth it for the location but select your room with care. Do not take room 32.

Room Tip: Ask for room looking over the Rhine not 4th Floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed two nights in June so we could visit the National Garden Show at Koblenz. The hotel was a pleasant 10-15 mins walk along the Rhine to the BUGA garden show and you could buy tickets in advance at the hotel. Most of the staff spoke good English and were friendly and helpful.

The location was quiet and you could have breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Rhine which was really pleasant...and there was plenty of choice for breakfast.

Okay, so some of the hotel decor is still in the 70s (especially our brown bathroom en-suite), but our room was spacious and quiet. After seeing that the night life in Koblenz centre is surprisingly lively, we we glad to have chosen this hotel.

One word of warning is that their credit card machine did not accept any of our credit or debit cards (something which is apparently not that unusual in Germany). The staff were very helpful and understanding...in the end, one of them gave me a lift to the cash point at the railway station.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keith_Lux
Seattle
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We stayed at this hotel in Koblenz for two nights. This is an older and what might be described as a quiet and elegant small hotel. I agree with the previous comments about the day manager, it was completely different when the young lady took over on Sunday morning! I speak a little German, he lightened up just a LITTLE when I spoke German, but was still very dour and stuffy, no matter how friendly we were to him.
Our room was absolutely the biggest of any we stayed in during our month long vacation in Europe, however it lacked personality. Older paintings and furnishings, not 'cool' old but more staid and conservative. The room needed some updates to make it a little cozier. The bathroom was fine, and there were lots of towels and soaps. Nice view from our window, but no patio like we had in another place in St. Goar on the Rhine.
We had a lovely breakfast each of the two days we were there. It is about a 10 minute walk to the railway station, but everything else is about a E6 cab fare away. However, we had a car and it was easy to park on the street. Parking downtown Koblenz is a little difficult in the evenings, particularly on weekends, but you can find it if willing to drive around. Plan on spending E95 per day, per couple, for this hotel. Also another disappointment, although they have lots of room just off the breakfast area, there is no Internet acess. I find a hotel that charges almost E100 per day should at least have one computer fro guests to use.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Stayed on the hottest day of the year. Fortunately our corner room ventilated well and we slept fine. Clean rooms, compact bathroom, minimal amenities in bathroom. It was quiet (and we faced the beer garden but that was never an issue). Street parking was no problem. We LOVED the breakfast; lots of variety for vegetarians and meat-eaters. The only negative was the day manager; these reviews warned me, but I thought for sure I could break through this guy and get at least a smile. No way! But Kristen was lovely & the night manager is ok too.I think we were the only Americans in the hotel; many senior citizen Germans were at hotel. Please note that Koblenz is under construction right now! Lots of chain linked fences along the river, but nothing was near the hotel- no noise...No where did I read this before and I might have tried a different town if I had known. But we only had a short stay to get over jet lag so it was ok!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Visited Koblenz in July 2009, got a triple room at the Kleiner Riesen. I made the reservations over the internet, was contacted by a very nice lady (Kristen) who gave me a lot of inormation over the phone. We were welcomed like old friends upon arrival. Great location on the Rhine river, our room was spacious and comfortable, big windows opened to a gorgeous river view. Breakfast (inlcuded) was good and plentiful and the service was good too. River cruise dock is across the street, as well as Bier Garten and restaurant. Easy 10 min. walk to train station (Koblenz Hbf). We would definitely stay there again.
Pros: Good service, great river location, view, comfort.
Cons: No internet*, no bus transportation to town centre (20 min. walk).

* I know, we were on vacation but at times we needed to get train schedules, weather, etc. Just a simple wireless router on the lobby could've made this a perfect stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family