“Good Location, Nice Stay”

Mercure Hotel Koblenz
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Koblenz
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Good Location, Nice Stay”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel near the Altstadt for a last minute trip to Koblenz and the Mercure worked very well. It is about a 5-10 minute walk to the Altstadt and the Deutsche Eck, and is located next door to the Weindorf, a nice restaurant with a great outdoor biergarten. The breakfast was included in the cost of our stay and was nice. It was very crowded each morning (Sat/Sun morning), but no problems finding a seat and getting a bite to eat. The staff was very friendly and helpful and obliged me as I stumbled through speaking German, and spoke English with me when necessary. You can park on site, in a garage under the hotel, for 10 Euro per day. Overall, for the value and the amount of time we actually spent in the hotel (not much), it worked out well for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The first time I stayed at the Mercure in Koblenz, I had transferred from an old hotel near the rail line. So I was relatively happy. This time I arrived in Koblenz from Vienna having stayed at the Mercure Secession Wien, and now judge by a different standard. The Wien Mercure was by far a much nicer hotel, and at a lower cost. Goes to show the value of competition I guess. This time in Koblenz I was on the second floor. The carpet was dirty. There wasn't a coffee/hot water machine in the room. I thought it must have been removed for repairs. But when I asked the front desk told me that the "premium" rooms on the upper floors have them. I asked if I could get an iron and ironing board. No, there is an "iron" room next to the gym. I went there because there was no choice if you want to avoid the very expensive laundry service, but had to carry all my shirts down to the basement and stand there in this little room with one iron and board. Heaven forbid more than one guest needs to iron some clothes. Overall, a much less pleasant experience than I had at the Mecure in Vienna. Next time in Koblenz I will try something different. I must say, however, that the location next to the Rhine is great for access to some long and wonderful running trails along the river.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kent W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The easy 5/10 min walk along the Rhine to the Deutsches Eck and the Aldstadt is why we chose this hotel for a weekend in Koblenz. Otherwise, it is what you would expect of a Mercure - good value (for the location), decent sized room and good bathroom with shower. Minor point is the room /corridors looked slightly tired in places.

Breakfast buffet was good (and served to midday!).

Charge for in-room wifi of €9 a day is a bit cheeky but it was a least quick and reliable.

Solid choice for a stay in Koblenz.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Barton-le-Clay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We found the staff were very helpful. The hotel was in a great location for a drive down the Rhein River and has a very nice walking path down the Rhein River about a 2 minute walk from hotel. We were very satisfied with this hotel and the service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Excellent location for a short riverside walk to the German corner, excellent food but a little expensive. Excellent parking garage. Friendly professional and knowledgeable staff. Definitely would recommend for Koblenz

Room Tip: No pool or children's activities.......Easter chocolates on arrival!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevinpeach51
Gloucester
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband, elderly father and I stayed in the Mercure for 1 night in May 2013. The hotel was easy to find (just next to the Pfaffendorf Bridge) with its own underground car park (entrance off Julius Wegerler Strasse - go up the ramp to the right of the Rhein-Mosel Congress Centre).

The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and we had a good sized room with a view of the Rhine river and towards the Altstadt (i.e. looking north) and the Ehrenbreitstein fortress on the opposite bank of the Rhine.

Our triple room was very large, with a good quality sofabed and a king size bed. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The room was clean and tidy and nicely decorated. However, being on a higher floor we could only open the windows a crack. You had to ask Reception to provide a key if you wanted the windows opened wider. We just put on the air conditioning for a while, though the room wasn't stifling.

The bathroom was a good size, though there was an over-bath shower rather than a walk in shower. There were plenty of towels and there was a hair dryer in the room, though the bedroom did have power sockets for my own hairdryer and there was a long mirror in a fairly convenient location though I had to stretch my hair dryer cable to be able to see in the mirror while I dried my hair.

We didn't go out to dinner (we had a big lunch in Rudesheim earlier in the day). However, the breakfast the next morning was very good, with a wide selection on the breakfast buffet - cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, rolls, meats, cheeses, cooked breakfast, coffee and tea (Earl Grey available as well!).

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Altstadt, so we decided the next morning to check out and we parked easily in the Josef Gorres Platz underground car park in the heart of the Altstadt.

All in all I would highliy recommend the Mercure in Koblenz - it is conveniently located a short distance from the Altstadt, but away from the hustle and bustle of the main tourist hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors overlooking the Rhine and the Altstadt (i.e. north facing)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ratingen
Reviewed May 31, 2013

From the outside the hotel does not really make a good impression, however inside a lot has been done, so quite nice and fresh style ... unfortunately the makeover was not done completly so elevators and some areas still have the 80's touch.
In the room I felt comfortable, I slept well in the bed, the mattrasse was firm but not too hard. Also the bathroom has a nice touch. Unfortunately my room was a little "smelly", it was coming out of the bathroom ... so some thorough cleaning might do good.
At around 130 EUR plus breakfast I found it a little bit overpriced. Guess there is a lack of competition ...
Staff was a little bit chaotic so you need to tell them what they shall do ...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business