“Great place to stay a few nights, great price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Jan Van Werth

Hotel Jan Van Werth
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Koblenz
Thornton, Colorado
“Great place to stay a few nights, great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a great little place. The staff are very friendly, and speak a good deal of English. Breakfast is basic, but filling. I stayed in a single room on the third floor - toilet across the hall, shower on the first floor. I thought this might be weird, but it's really not, just like being in a dorm, but all the other guests were really polite too. I felt very safe here. The room is very small, but very adequate with bed, sink, closet, and nightstand. You can hear your neighbors pretty clearly, but again, the guests who were staying here at the same time as me were cool, and there were no issues at night. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LadyoftheArts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a very basic but convenient hotel. It's within walking distance to the main attractions in Koblenz. Parking is free overnight. However, if you are not driving during the day, you'll need to park your car in Hotel Ibis in the next street.
Breakfast is better than expected. For such a basic needs hotel, buffet breakfast is considered good.
I would recommend this place for a the most basic stay. Bathroom in the room is really small.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank PassionBaker
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Jan Van Werth for 2 nights when we're travelling around the Rhine. We enjoyed our stay and it exceeded our expectation. It's definitely good value for money.
We chose a room with private shower and toilet and we're given Room #8 at basement level. The room and the private bathroom is big, and there's also a small garden attached. It is very new, clean and nicely decorated. We had a good rest watching TV on our beds.
The only drawback is that the internet connection in the basement level is very poor. The connection is fine in the garden but you won't go out when it's raining or when it's cold (like what I encountered). I ended up getting out of my room and sitting in the hotel entrance to get my mobile phone connected to the wifi.
The buffet breakfast was good with many different choices (as a German breakfast). Many choices of hams and tea, and I particularly like the boiled eggs there.
The location is very good too as it's <10 minutes walk from Koblenz Hbf (if you walk really fast it may take only 5 minutes). But at first you may have difficulty finding it becoz the Von Werth Strasse is a small street and there's only clear sign on one end but not the other end.
Overall speaking, Hotel Jan Van Werth is very good value for money and I highly recommend it if you're staying in Koblenz.

Room Tip: Room #8 at basement level is very new and big, with attached BIG private shower and toilet and a gar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Jan Van Werth, and they were some of our best nights in Germany. We got in to Koblenz earlier than we'd planned, but they were more than willing to let us leave our backpacks while we took a stroll around town, a small gesture, but still kind.

When we got our room, I was a little dubious. Top floor, up a narrow, creaky staircase. No bathroom in our room, and the shower was on the floor below. The room was pretty small, but well organized and pretty comfortable. It was warm, up on the top floor, but there were 2 nice big windows that let a lot of fresh air in, and the water from the sink in the room was cold and refreshing.

The floors are a little creaky, the hallways a little narrow, the doors close a little loudly, but it's a charming little place, so it's easy to overlook all that.

The breakfast is quite nice. Breads, cheeses, meats, fruit, tea, coffee. A great deal of variety, and plenty of everything.

The staff is super helpful. I'm regrettably forgetting the name of the young lady who helped us, but she was amazing. We'd flubbed a car rental and found ourselves needing a day-of automatic car. She called all over town and got us a pretty solid deal on a very nice car. We would've been hosed without her. She was always very helpful in answering any questions we had, and it felt like she was personally invested in making sure that our stay at the hotel was pleasant.

Everything was just downright pleasant. As a bonus, there were somewhat quizzical cat pictures all over our floor. Yay katzen!

Room Tip: Not every room has an in-suite bathroom/shower, so make sure you know what you're getting.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I wish I could have stayed here. The building was comfortable and inviting. The breakfast was to die for. My friend said he needed to lie down for 20 minutes after he ate.

There was a mix-up on my reservation. It was put on their calendar for a month later than I was coming. They realized their mistake before I arrived, but were not able to put my friend and I in a room with a bathroom and shower. The young man at the desk (F) was so helpful. He came up with many solutions and called around to get us a place to stay.

I would like to come back one day so I can stay at this fine place.

Kris Thornwall
Minneapolis, Minnesota

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kris T
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had good expectations after reading the review here, and I was not disappointed. Lovely hotel, I got in late my first night after 20h of travel and she waited until 11:30p to let me in. I could tell she wasn't that happy (who would be?) but I didn't have to sleep at the train station and she quickly showed me to the room and explained all. The best coffee I had in Germany, quiet and safe and obvious care goes into the place. I sometimes wonder why these little hotels don't have a small lounge area where travellers can talk and meet, it is only at an akward breakfast that people bump into each other. Somehow it makes it more akward. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JenniferDoan
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Traveled to Koblenz as a single female and stayed in a single room at the Hotel Jan Van Werth.
It's very close to the train station and within easy walking distance of all local attractions. The room size was very good for a single, and the price good in comparison to other local hotels. The only downside was the bathroom was tiny (I don't think a tall person could have sat down and still closed the door - but it is a private bathroom so it wouldn't really matter) and could use a bit of updating but not a huge complaint. Breakfast was great!

Room Tip: The hotel is in town so there isn't a view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo