“Nirvana if you love German hospitality!”

Burgschaenke Hotel-Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Kaiserslautern
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I became a huge fan of this venue through use of it over a five-year tour of duty (2000-2005) for the US DoD. My principal booked me into this hotel before I arrived. They met all my needs, and then some. We used them for faculty parties often and the local teachers' association used them for regional meetings, too.

I never stayed in the main building, but the annex around the bend. The rooms were always spacious for tons of PCS luggage. I even got help from the waitress at the dining room in hoisting my heavy bag. I'd arrived after a tough surgery and was not yet able to lug it into the building from the cab.

Since this venue was probably the most convenient for the US Military, their business practices accomodate even those least familiar with customs and language for the region.

There are tables outside decked with copious geraniums, umbrellas for tables, and a fountain, a lovely dining room and three private spaces for meetings and parties.There's a huge garden area for outdoor gatherings. I even used them to accomodate a visitor who'd arrive a day before me, and they even accepted my toiletries I'd gathered to welcome my friend to Germany. Since they all speak English, no one has trouble arriving fresh from the USA without any briefing or classes on German culture and language.

I never had a bad meal here. The Bernaise sauce for one entree was legendary. We had a 5 course meal for a faculty party of at least 30 people that went off without a hitch. It was the high-light of the year! The menus is diverse enough to accomodate a lengthy stay without becoming bored.

There's extra parking just down the street in a public lot, a castle up the hill, and a nice public swimming lake a little farther down the street. There's a Bundespost and a bank within walking distance. This can be a great introduction to the region for families on vacation, newly arrived Americans to the area, or couples on a romantic escape. I used it as a great Happy Hour spot on many occasions, and a perfect summer lunch stop on others. My friends used a small private room for their book club, another group used a different private room for a "good bye" party. A large room for business meetings has good ammenities for electronic presentations.

Room Tip: Inquire about the exact sizes of the beds, some are quite large, others more like a twin. A winter s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our first annivesary. The food was amazing. I had the lamb with potatoes and fresh veggies (17 euro). And my husband had the jagerschnitzel. He also loved his food. Our waitress was very nice and spoke enough English.The menu was mainly in Germany but there were pages in English in the back of the menu. We had the apple strudel for desert. It had fresh berries on it that were amazing!

We would highly recommend this place! Great food for a good price!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My family of four stayed at the Burgschaenke for 30 days. We were in the main building, directly above the restaurant. Our room consisted of two bedrooms, a hallway, and a VERY large bathroom. The beds were cozy for our long stay. The staff was wonderful, with most speaking English. We became part of their little family. We go back for dinner about once a month and our children really look forward to seeing everyone there. I can't say enough wonderful things about the Burgschaenke!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed at this property for one night on our way to Speyer, and were traveling with our parents. If there was one thing I could say about the place it has that old German Gasthaus feel and the food was totally traditional, and I could tell by the volume of customers in the place that this was a great local eatery.

We were in an out building across from the main hotel, and this is why it is rated as a 2 star, the rooms were adequate, but were very dated and in dire need of a makeover, never the less we knew this when we booked so it was no surprise and took care of our needs for the night. Just be ready for very basic room amenities so it is not a shock to the system.

This property has been in business for 160 years and is family owned and run today, it under went a major reno in the 80's the food is typical German traditional and is amazing, from the homemade bread to the soups and sauces I cannot say enough about the cuisine, if you show up you must try the Garlic Soup which is a house specialty out of this world!

The owners are so friendly and everyone spoke great English, the breakfast in the morning was also great with fresh bread and boiled eggs, preservatives and fresh milk. There is a small park about 200 meters from the hotel with lots for the little ones and or son had a ball here playing for a couple of hours. Very lovely quiet locations close to the historic castle ruins just up the road. We will definitely be staying here again, and even if we are passing through I will be stopping just to have a meal!

Room Tip: Try and confirm that the room you book is in the main hotel building!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Best part of my stay was the hostess/manager/?owner? 's hospitality and warm personality.
She was very helpful and spoke fluent English. Hotel is near a US base.
So I imagine that they have plenty of exposure to American visitors.
The main building has plenty of charm that you'd expect in a traditional older German hotel.
No, this is not Holiday Inn or Sheraton which is a good thing.
A little pricey for what you get. You may also end up in another building across the street.
Not a big deal. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Awful. I booked online for 12 days. The place looks beautiful and I was so excited to be staying in an old German building. After I arrived, I was told that I wouldn't be staying in the main building, but another operated building across the street. I made it in, and discovered that my room was a dank, musty room in the basement! There spiders in the shower area and in most corners of the room. Yuck! The building was super noisy, especially when a bunch of other americans came in at 0300 in the morning.

I checked out the next day and now I'm enjoying the luxury of Hotel Zollamt in Kaiserslautern. If you stay in their main building, you will likely have a very different stay. But I'm writing this so people know that this hotel is very room dependent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank roadtrippbyopillows
Reviewed December 8, 2009

When we cancelled our reservation late last summer, due to illness, we were given a reference number and told we would not be charged. The following week the full amount of our stay was charged to our credit card.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple