“Traditional German hotel restaurant”

Burgschaenke Hotel-Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Kaiserslautern
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Best part of my stay was the hostess/manager/?owner? 's hospitality and warm personality.
She was very helpful and spoke fluent English. Hotel is near a US base.
So I imagine that they have plenty of exposure to American visitors.
The main building has plenty of charm that you'd expect in a traditional older German hotel.
No, this is not Holiday Inn or Sheraton which is a good thing.
A little pricey for what you get. You may also end up in another building across the street.
Not a big deal. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 14, 2011

Awful. I booked online for 12 days. The place looks beautiful and I was so excited to be staying in an old German building. After I arrived, I was told that I wouldn't be staying in the main building, but another operated building across the street. I made it in, and discovered that my room was a dank, musty room in the basement! There spiders in the shower area and in most corners of the room. Yuck! The building was super noisy, especially when a bunch of other americans came in at 0300 in the morning.

I checked out the next day and now I'm enjoying the luxury of Hotel Zollamt in Kaiserslautern. If you stay in their main building, you will likely have a very different stay. But I'm writing this so people know that this hotel is very room dependent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank roadtrippbyopillows
Reviewed December 8, 2009

When we cancelled our reservation late last summer, due to illness, we were given a reference number and told we would not be charged. The following week the full amount of our stay was charged to our credit card.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Excellent location for visiting family living in the base housing at Vogelveh. Managers/owners speak excellent English, and will give pointers whenever you butcher your high school German (like I kept doing ;-)
Room had a large patio, but not much view - just a peek of the top of the steeple on the church up the hill. Room and patio were over a garage, but there was never any noise problem.
Since you have to pass the restaurant/bar to get to the rooms, we tried it one night - and were glad we did. The food was delicious.
For breakfast, in addition to the usual meats, breads, cheeses, fruit and cereal, there was also smoked salmon along with both hard and soft boiled eggs.
Only sour note was limited on-street parking.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I work for the DoD, and was staying in the nearby base lodging. When that hotel sold out I was told to find a hotel in the economy. I had only been in Germany for 1 month so decided to ask the German Nationals. Burgschaenka was recommended. I needed to stay somewhere for a month or until I found a house.

The staff and restaurant are amazing. Breakfast is included in the price of the room, which consisted of cheese, cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, fruit, breads, butter, jams, etc a typical German breakfast so do not expect pancakes or breakfast tacos. Do not worry about the food...it is great and the atmosphere is great.

The size of the rooms vary vastly. There were two of us on my room and we had a really nice size room, king ked, large bath, view of a beautiful church ...perfect. We shared a common area with a micro and dorm room fridge with the room next door. The neighbors room was really small, with a small bath, I had to laugh because I obviously got most of the space on that floor. Two room per floor.

Internet was horrible in the room, I could not get internet at all, but my neighbor could get it from his room if he stayed on the window sill only. Internet in the common area of the main building, where the bar and restaurant are, worked fine. TV worked great but everything was in German. So we watched lots and lots of movies on our laptops.

When the owner walked us the first day to our room, I though we would never make it to the top. In one word...STAIRS..the place has plenty of stairs that go straight up (steep)..and up...and up. We were basically in the attic, and had plenty of windows, walking normally was not a problem but with 4 suitcases, and food, it was a negative. With this said, most of Germany does not have elevators, so this is the norm everywhere! I do not know about handicapped rooms, but I do know there is cobblestone, stairs, and hills walking to your room. There are multiple building and the pictures are of the main building. Parking is a premium...like most of Europe. There is nowhere to park, so you park on the street...and curb. Narrow street.

You may walk to the castle ruins behind the church easily enough. I did not realize the castle was there, it is lite up at night, just look up. It is a steep climb but now I realize, it is nothing compared to most hikes to castles, especially the good ones. Again, this is a castle ruin, no one bothered to repair after it was destroyed. There are plenty of castles in the area within minutes from this location.

The funny part to me, an American, was when I asked to make a reservation, they asked my first name and told me to come. They speak some English. No confirmation, no credit card, nothing, just how many rooms. I called a couple of days later to confirm they had my reservation, again, they asked my first name and told me they already told me to "come". HA Typical German response. I arrived, they gave me a key and walked me to my room. No credit card, money, only my first name. I never saw room staff again, my room just cleaned itself. I did see staff if I asked for something or when to the main building. When I left, I told them I needed a bill, they printed up a bill for the entire time, and I mentioned I would get the money to them later because i was late for work. I needed a tax exempt form called a VAT form. They stated it was no problem, pay them later. I was shocked! I obviously have trust issues. Two days later, after I checked out, work kept me away, I took my VAT form and money to pay.

Germany is very trusting, this is everywhere. I really enjoyed my stay and if you choose this hotel, feel you will also. If not, there are 50+ hotels in the area. Plenty to pick from, so what do you have to lose.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine009
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I was set to stay here on business. My room (20) was clean and spacious and the food at the restaurant was delicious. Breakfast is complimentary in the breakfast room in the main hotel building. You can get WiFi just fine in the main building but it is very unstable in the second building of room which is across the street. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The speak English as well and even helped me out with pronouncing some basic German words.
I would recommend this hotel for those on holiday. If you do stay here on business or absolutely need internet access in your room I would advise you to make sure you are in the main hotel/restaurant building.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I stayed one night at the Burgschaenke Hotel in late November 2007 as I was on business and this was the recommended hotel. The name is hard for Americans to pronounce and it's a bit of a challenge to find on a dark and rainy night. It is only a few short turns from a major road, but it feels away from everything. I was exhausted upon arrival and there were some problems finding my room. The hosts were apologetic about the mix-up (they sent me to the wrong building) and I was able to relax and have a pleasant dinner.

As is the case in a number of small German hotels/restaurants, you enter and check in at the "bar/restaurant" immediately inside the entrance. The Burgschaenke has two buildings, but the original building has more charm. My room was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was quite large and the room was a nice size, as well. If you have difficulty with stairs, this is probably not your hotel.

The dinner was typical German cuisine from the area and was nicely prepared. I'm sure many locals eat here since it's handy and delicious. The morning breakfast was also nice with a variety of breads, fruit, yogurt and cereals.

The cost was extremely reasonable - only about 65 Euro for the room and breakfast. If I were to return for another short visit, I'd stay here.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business