Cityhotel Siegen
$120
Holiday Inn Express Siegen(Siegen)(Great Value!)
$88
$98
All reviewsbreakfast buffetminsbeergermanypillowsbusinesswifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel is not the most up to date when it comes to decor, but it's clean, comfortable and the staff are polite and helpful. I got a twin room although I asked for a double, and the single bed was a bit small for my liking, with the standard too-soft (for me) Best Western pillows. Otherwise everything worked fine: the free bottle of water in the room is nice, and breakfast was particularly pleasant (I was very impressed with the high quality of teas in particular).
The hotel is about, 5 mins walk from the train station, 15 mins walk from the old centre of Siegen and 15 mins by taxi to the University.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ChocFrog75
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Having a great hotel, especially when on a family vacation, can make the difference between a challenging visit and a rewarding one.Service and Breakfast superb...Staff is excellent

Room Tip: On the south side Corner suites are ''large and sunny"
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2010

First the good things: The staff at the reception was helpful and friendly. The free water in the lobby is a nice gesture and the breakfast was also really enjoyable.

However, upon arrival on a hot summer day in mid July we went straight to the restaurant and ordered beer and asked for some water for the table. After the beer arrived we asked again for the water, but the waitress said she could not bring water for the table, we have to order mineral water. Being thirsty and having my wife still breastfeeding and not drinking alcohol, we were a bit surprised about such a response, also since we arrived from Austria and Italy where we always received free table water from restaurants - especially in such a category.
So being still thirsty we ordered a bottle of mineral water.
We received the food and we were still without any water and my wife started to drink a bit from my colleagues Coke, which he ordered. I was being sarcastic and said to the waitress that now she has to bring us free tap water as apparently they don't have any mineral water and she was snippy and said, it was on the way. I could not believe that they actually charges us for a 0.75 l water in the end - Euro 5.50 = $ 7.50 (even though there is free water in the lobby).
Another "funny" anecdote from that evening: the lights outside on the terrace were not working and we asked for a candle and received a tiny tea-light for a table of five. We could not even see the food we were eating. After asking again, we received a second, even thought they had nice big candles inside (apparently for decoration). When asking if they could turn on the lights, we received again an interesting answer: There was a malfunction in the switch but the hotel management would be responsible to fix it. It was a 1 minute walk from the restaurant to the reception - apparently nobody cared and we left the hotel without desert and tip and still thirsty after finishing our food, which was quite overpriced as all the other restaurants in town are much cheaper with better service.

This was just the restaurant - now to the hotel: quite old hotel even though the rooms were large and the provided our requested baby-bed. The hotel has NO air condition and the rooms get very warm. We asked for a fan and were told that all of them were already given out. After we went down to ask personally and explain the situation that we also have a young baby, we received the fan that was standing in the reception.

When we walked down to the lobby we hit a cloud of smoke! As smoking is not allowed in most rooms and restaurant, the hotel allows smoking in the small lobby with access to elevators. So smoke gets to almost all floors! But after 10pm most hotel guest gathered outside the bar with their drinks and smoked - even thought it was nice outside and they could have smoked in front or outside the hotel. It was unbelievable!

One day we got back with our baby around 10.15pm after having dinner in town and about 10 people were smoking and watching us and the baby without stopping to smoke. That is really a bad thing.

The rooms are roomy, but can be noisy as we had to keep them open during night and you hear people parking and talking in the morning outside.

Again, the receptionists were helpful and I actually complaint on the last day about the incident with the water on the first day (see above). After talking with the manager for 5 minutes they waived the 5.5 Euros for the water - without the manager appearing or apologizing.

I will send a letter to Best Western as this was one of the worst experiences I had in hotel stays so far. Next time I will stay again in the Ramada or Pfeffermuehle (I travel to Siegen at least twice a year). This was a business trip but I traveled with my wife and our son.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2010

OK, I'm traveling an awful lot, and sometimes, I just don't have the time to check which hotel in a particular city I would like most. That's when I go back to 'proven values'. In such cases, a very often pick a hotel from the list that belongs to the Best Western hotel chain. I can be mistaken, but I have the impression that in order to be allowed to represent the Best Western brand, a hotel needs to reach a certain level of quality standards.
This is certainly the case with the Best Western Park Hotel in Siegen. The building itself, the reception area and the bar are clearly early eighties, the rooms appeared to have received an update. But, everything is very well maintained and spotless clean. The hotel staff is very friendly. I arrived very late, and my special thanks go out to the hotel night receptionist that was very welcoming. I can tell you that (and I'm traveling easily one or two times a week) a warm reception is the utmost important thing for a hotel, and can make the difference between a customer coming back or turning his back to the hotel upon a next visit in a city.
The breakfast was really very good: in the good German tradition, the choice was copious, they have different kinds of fantastic bread, coffee was good,...
I'm up for another meeting in Siegen, and will surely take this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Stayed at Best Western in Siegen for famly visit. Have stayed at other hotels in the area in the past and this is a good choice. Clean rooms, small but okay. Good bathroom. Good choice for American travelers. Good breakfast buffet. Centrally located in Siegen. Book on hotel's website and look for weekend specials.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)