Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach
Hotel Gladbacher Hof(Monchengladbach)
Palazzo Hotel(Monchengladbach)
Rosenmeer Hotel(Monchengladbach)
View Hotel
All reviewscar parkreception staffhotel roomshort walknice walklarge varietyby footfitness roomenglish speakinggood sizewell run hotelcomfortable stayperfect locationlong weekendshops and restaurantsgreat weekendrooms are clean and spacious
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for business (one night), the hotel is easy to find, ahs it's own parking and is walkable to the centre - maybe 10 mins. There isn't a lot in the immediate vicinity but it is well placed to get around MG. The staff were friendly and the reception was well lit.

The room was adequately sized, with enough space for my things. The bed wasn't well made, it looked like someone had ruffled it all up (immediate appearance wasn't good), stains on the carpet, and a distinct smell from the bathroom drains.

Breakfast buffet was good and quickly replenished and they let us take an extra banana for the journey.

A/C worked well, bathroom and room appeared a little dated. There isn't much choice of good quality hotels in MG but this is adequate and better than the Dorint.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear monkeyalan5,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed three nights and loved it. Arriving around midnight the check in was smooth and welcoming. Our room on the 6th floor had a stunning view of the church. The room was spotlessly clean and the aircon worked. Despite reviews on other websites, the room had a fridge, kettle and tea/coffee. The beds were comfortable with a choice of pillow density.

On the downside there was no room safe (though arrangements for valuables could be made at reception) and the heating system hot water supply pipe in the room remained boiling even though the radiators were off. The tv, a portable sized old CRT, was a little dated in these times of flat screen LCDs and plasmas. The channel selection was poor for an international hotel chain.

We had excellent service in the bar and the drinks were not that expensive in comparison to the local bars. The bar had a big screen tv and we were given complimentary bar snacks.

If the price of breakfast at the hotel had been more reasonable we would have dined in. Instead either head up just past the church to the old town square or, as we did, turn left out of the hotel and after 75m there is a little bakery on the corner. It was at least 70% cheaper.

The hotel is in easy walking distance of the shopping area and there are frequent buses and taxis to explore further afield.

All of the staff we met at the hotel were friendly, the room was cleaned daily to a very high standard and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quieter but if you don't mind the traffic noise the front rooms have views of the park and the church on the hill.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

As we were meeting up with a guest stying here for a few days - and as I have previously had good meals here - I suggetsed rather than venture out into the night we could easily eat well here.

Wrong.

The meal was slightly overcooked, the pasta was straight out of a tin and so were the tomatoes. Quantity well exceeded quality which was poor. And to add insult to injury we appeared to be as welcome as the plague.

The hotel is well away from the town centre on a cold evening so I would consider another hotel if you need to stay the night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank thomasatatamus
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear thomasatatamus,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

nice hotel, great steaks at the bar nice breakfast, nice people are running this hotel, stayed for business, fitted my schedule downside, you pay for parking, 8.50 euro per day if you stay in the hotel, nowt if you visit the bar or restaurant, should be free these days.

Room Tip: central to the town, and easy reach of the airport, good road access.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2013

As Holiday Inns go this place looks OK from the outside, but the experience inside was sadly lacking.

Customer service was probably the worst point - the barman always preferred talking to his friends rather than actually serving drinks, the restaurant waitress was abrupt to the point of rudeness and one of the receptionists was completely ineffectual over the simplest request (a refill of milk sachets for my room).

The bar itself was characterless and the restaurant food quality was poor and with a very limited menu choice - happily there were some lovely restaurants we found in Monchengladbach itself - mainly through Trip Advisor reviews. Reception gave us a sheet of suggestions, but no-one seemed to know anything about any of them.

The cost of WiFi was extortionate - even by business hotel standards. €19 for 2 days use or €5 for 1 hour - much more than other Holiday Inns in Germany, and the hotel price itself was steep - certainly for what it was (breakfast was an extra 17.50 too - I can't comment on the quality as I wasn't paying that much each day on top of the high room price).

I spotted an extra charge on the bill when I left - an extra charge for WiFi - by which stage they'd processed my card. Normally I'd expect to check the bill first. When investigated, it turned out that the date 7/12 that was scribbled on a piece of paper had been charged to my room 712. I did get that refunded but it summed up the experience for me.

Finally the hot water was tepid one morning.

Several of these points were mentioned to the reception staff - who were very dismissive of me.

The only good point was the view of the church was pleasant in the snow. Beyond that, it was an expensive, rude and dated experience. I won't stay there again and would never recommend anyone else to.

Holiday Inn generally gives good value for money. Not so in Monchengladbach. I stayed with them two weeks before in Neuss and it was like a different chain.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have a nice view of the church, but there seemed to be a lot of wind noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Apieroux
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Apieroux,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are glad you enjoyed the views and glad to read you were able to get the refund. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the unacceptable service you have experienced with the staff and if our internet policy was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that we treat this matter seriously and actions will be taken by the management accordingly. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service.

Zelyn N