“Poor experience”

Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Monchengladbac...
“Poor experience”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

As Holiday Inns go this place looks OK from the outside, but the experience inside was sadly lacking.

Customer service was probably the worst point - the barman always preferred talking to his friends rather than actually serving drinks, the restaurant waitress was abrupt to the point of rudeness and one of the receptionists was completely ineffectual over the simplest request (a refill of milk sachets for my room).

The bar itself was characterless and the restaurant food quality was poor and with a very limited menu choice - happily there were some lovely restaurants we found in Monchengladbach itself - mainly through Trip Advisor reviews. Reception gave us a sheet of suggestions, but no-one seemed to know anything about any of them.

The cost of WiFi was extortionate - even by business hotel standards. €19 for 2 days use or €5 for 1 hour - much more than other Holiday Inns in Germany, and the hotel price itself was steep - certainly for what it was (breakfast was an extra 17.50 too - I can't comment on the quality as I wasn't paying that much each day on top of the high room price).

I spotted an extra charge on the bill when I left - an extra charge for WiFi - by which stage they'd processed my card. Normally I'd expect to check the bill first. When investigated, it turned out that the date 7/12 that was scribbled on a piece of paper had been charged to my room 712. I did get that refunded but it summed up the experience for me.

Finally the hot water was tepid one morning.

Several of these points were mentioned to the reception staff - who were very dismissive of me.

The only good point was the view of the church was pleasant in the snow. Beyond that, it was an expensive, rude and dated experience. I won't stay there again and would never recommend anyone else to.

Holiday Inn generally gives good value for money. Not so in Monchengladbach. I stayed with them two weeks before in Neuss and it was like a different chain.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have a nice view of the church, but there seemed to be a lot of wind noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Apieroux
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Apieroux,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are glad you enjoyed the views and glad to read you were able to get the refund. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the unacceptable service you have experienced with the staff and if our internet policy was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that we treat this matter seriously and actions will be taken by the management accordingly. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

the hotel and rooms are quite outdated but clean and tidy. The bar and restaurant menu not very appealing.
Breakfast is quite expensive as are the rooms.
parking and Wi-Fi are paid services.
Temperature in the room was quite low and adjustments don't work

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Watnuweer,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. We are glad you found the rooms clean and tidy. We regret falling short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We - father and teenage son - were going to watch Borussia Moenchengladbach play Lazio in February and wanted a hotel where everything just worked - which it usually does at Holiday Inn. We were not looking for a cosy little family place. And we were not disappointed with Holiday Inn - the room was a so-called superior 2 persons room, which meant two rather narrow beds formed as a double- so you easily could pull them apart. Strangely enough the tv wasn't a flattv, but an old model - however, it worked. So did the bath-rum and all the other stuff. The minibar and the parking was included in the prize (but then there was nothing stronger than beer in the minibar...) and if you are lucky (we were not) you can get rooms with a view to the basilica. We had a view to a sports-ground and it was okay. The breakfast was fine with everything you could ask for - including sparkling wine! And funny detail: They have two 'lady carparks' near the entrance.
All in all - a businessman hotel to a reasonably prize.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the basilica
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Germany
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have written at least three emails to the Managering Director of the Holiday Inn, (Herr Pittner) in Mönchengladbach, in Nordrhein Westphalia, Germany

Each time I wrote there was nothing but compliments for all his staff, the rooms, the food, selection of music, atmosphere, though the price is fairly steep!

Please see the names of the most helpful, friendly, supportive, polite, energetic and simply, wonderful human beings in this lovely hotel, below.

Receptionists: Carina, Julia, Alexandra, Maren, Jasmine and Hoy. Charlie the barman, and Alex. Delia and Kerstin work in the bar and the restaurant. Jana I believe is an administrative (wonderful) lady, and Julio always seems to do the “night shift” at the reception. Tanya too works in the bar and the restaurant. Fabian is fairly new to this hotel and predominately works in the restaurant.

The above-mentioned staff members in Holiday Inn Mönchengladbach are simply fantastic people! After a full year, they have all became part of my social life, as I spent so many evenings with them, (mornings in the restaurant too!) What a great social life all these people have given me!

I have spent more nights; estimated around 40 – 45) in this hotel, than any other Hotel in Germany, during the past year and, I truly miss being there! I don´t know whether anyone can actually relate to this feeling but, I believe I am suffering from, withdrawal systems!

To all and every hotel reviewer-reader, or potential hotel room booker; if you have the chance, opportunity to stay in the hotel I´ve written about, please do so! If I always enjoyed me stays there, why shouldn´t you?

Room Tip: The higher the floor level, the better the view over Mönchengladbach is!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank David Alexander... F
Mumbai, India
Reviewed January 31, 2013

while on business trip, I once again stayed at this Holiday Inn property and had good experience again. Rooms are comfortable with adequate heating system in winters. Breakfast is excellent with large variety. However the room service menu is limited. Location is good at walking distance from AltStadt and Hindenburg Strasse. The view from front side rooms is nice as a large Chirch atop a hill in front of lush green lanscape soothes one's eyes.Overall this hotel is quite nice for stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Bit of a basic hotel. Bar is the worst most characterless bar I've been in for a long time. Breakfast average. Quite a basic and a bit of a run down hotel. On the positive side a short walk over the dual carriageway and up the hill and you're in the town centre. I've been to a few hotels in MGB and this is maybe the best but that's not a great recommendation.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank drdave10
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Moenchengladbach, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear drdave10,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Monchengladbach hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We choose that hotel as we wanted to have a use of the swimming pool but were dissapointed with the size of it. It was little bigger than a poodle. Other than this very happy with the hotel. We have enjoyed the room service. Good food.

• Stayed July 2012