“A Pleasant Surprise but with mixed emotions”

Freiraum Statthotel
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Monchengladbac...
Ireland
“A Pleasant Surprise but with mixed emotions”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We drove for what seemed like an age through scarily silent housing estates until out of nowhere this oasis appeared; A modern, quite big, and dare I say it, damn cool looking hotel. In reception, two things struck me. The first was that it had the look or a very upmarket boutique hotel. The second was that it didn't have the usual up your own backside atmosphere normally associated with such places. Instead it felt homely, warm, and even a little disorganised. I liked it.

My room was great. It was just a standard room, but had a big bed, sofa and kitchenette. Also a well stocked bathroom and large TV.

On the first of my two nights I ate in the hotel restaurant. Again, very friendly staff, and the food was impressive and good value. Breakfast the following morning was equally as good.

The only real negatives I have are that the bar closes really early (10pm) and it's not too easy to find an alternative watering hole nearby. In fact I had to walk nearly the whole way into Rhydt to find a bar.

Overall I have to say that if I was going back to this area, I would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
CopenhagenDenmark
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Having had a friend of mine book the room - and not having researched further on her choice - I turned up at the Freiraum Statthotel expecting to find a typical provincial hotel... and was completely surprised when I entered the hotel finding a lounge in the same decor style as international top hotels. It might not be the most exclusive furniture you'll find - but it looks great and the ambience is top class!

So far so good - reception/lounge area looked great - and when I entered my room I realized that the owners of this hotel have something unique... which is good taste. The room decor was in the same theme as the lobby. Quite minimalistic - which I like being a Dane - all newly renovated. Just loved it!!

After a quick bath - in the full size bath (which is a real rarity in hotels!!) - I went down to the restaurant - and again I was pleasantly surprised. REAL Italian food - with loads of flavour... Reasonable prices for a very good meal.

All in all - a fantastic hotel - in short driving distance to Düsseldorf airport - and convenient if going to the fair in Düsseldorf. Very reasonably priced!!

Will definitely be going back for my next trip...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business