“Business hotel par excellence” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Welcome Hotel Essen

Welcome Hotel Essen
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Essen
FVG
“Business hotel par excellence”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

aseptic atmosphere and a little impersonal, rooms are austere and pretty much..basic.
Very clean even if some appliances need to be fixed ( shower water hose)
Breakfast is served on the first floor and you have quite a selection but the fruits had strnge smell and even stranger taste
some rooms look over the street but they are anyway silent except for the woofer of the discoteque in front which you faintly hear all night long

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Essen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had a very good stay at the Welcome Hotel.

The hotel has an excellent price/quality ratio. The room and bathroom were both very clean. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant which was good for a correct price. However I consider 17 € per person for the breakfast very expensive, so we decided to go to a bakery.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

beijing
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for about 3 weeks due to business reasons. the rooms are clean and relatively spacious, however, the bed was rather small and you are provided with only 1 pillow and a small duvet cover. the pillow was so soft that it was negligible even if you had one. the buffet breakfast is pricey for what you get served. and the variety does not change at all, we had exactly the same variety every single day for the duration of our stay, which was driving us insane!
only 3 english language TV channels were available. service was average, including front staff and staff in the F&B outlet. the only good thing was the location, walking distance to most of the shopping and eating areas. Also, i was in a room where the wi-fi had a weak signal and could not get online (even if i wanted to pay for it). when i mentioned to the reception, they said that there was nothing they could do about it! how frustrating!

Room Tip: rooms away from the street are better and gives u a stronger wi-fi signal
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised as my client had booked the hotel.

Good location - within walking distance of many businesses, shopping, and dining.

Modern and large rooms (for Europe!). Good staff although a few had problems with their English in giving directions.

Decent restaurant.

And the price was CHEAP (about $130/night including taxes and wifi).

I will be staying here on future trips.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

The staff that work here are great, they speak very good English, which is a relief because I only studied French at school. The hotel is very near a station and also near the main street in Essen, so it's well located for visiting Essen. Essen itself I wouldn't say there is that much to do or see. We were here on business though.

From what I remember there are 5 bedroom floors. The lowest floor has the basic rooms and the top floor has the suites, so the higher up you go the better the rooms. We were on the lowest grade room floor on floor one. We didn't get to see the standard of the rooms on the other floors, although other people we knew were on those floors and didn't make any bad comments. The bedroom was clean and tidy and the bathroom had adequate space to move about in. There was a fridge in the room, though the mini bar was only stocked up with two bottles of water and two beers.

Wi-fi internet access was easy to get and fast and reliable, something which is not common in many hotels. You get 3 hours free and then you have to pay for wi-fi access, it's fairly reasonable at Euro3.90 per 24 Hours (compared to other hotels).

The restaurant served very good food, the staff were good. The food was a reasonable price for a restaurant, the drinks were very expensive and small, which they are in most restaurants to be fair.

Breakfast was really nice with a good range of buffet items, though like most hotels it's also expensive at Euro17 per person per day.

The biggest reason I marked down this hotel in the ratings were the pillows on the bed. I didn't get as much as sleep as I should from trying to get comfy. Basically there were two pillows on the bed, one for each of us and you just sunk through them. I tried the two pillows on top of each other and that was just as useless, you just sink through the pillows. We both tried folding the pillows up to four times, it had relatively little effect. So I was glad to get home last night and have a decent nights sleep.

Overall though, I'd certainly go back to this hotel if I was visiting Essen, I'd just ask them if they have changed their pillows next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hotel as such is a good business hotel. It has got all you need but nothing more. Close to the city center, underground parking, nice clean rooms, decent breakfast and free wifi. The surrounding of the hotel however could be better.
We had a buffet dinner in the hotel, we were in a hurry, and the food was nothing special. Plain and a bit boring.
But I never had a weirder check in as in this hotel. After some time I can see the funny side of it, not at that very moment.
I arrived early in the hotel, around 11:00 and there were no rooms available yet. That can happen. After they check with housekeeping: room would be ready in an hour. So I decided to take a walk. One hour later I’m back, the room was still not ready. Again they check with housekeeping and learned about 30 more minutes. OK, that is bad but it can happen. I told the receptionist that I’ll wait in the lobby, checking my mails and asked a login for the wifi.
No. I would need a room number to get access to the wifi and as I do not have a room number…
OK, can happen, I’ll work on 3G then.
Half an hour later my colleagues arrived and were checking in. They get their rooms, no problem no hassle.
Back to the receptionist; can I now have a room please? They check with housekeeping again: “Sorry, room is still not ready. Maybe 20 more minutes.”
“What do you mean, my room is not ready? You just checked in two other guests?”
The receptionist ensured me that those were smoking rooms. I told her that the two people who just checked in are colleagues of mine, and that they got non-smoking rooms. I had that checked.
Then the manager intervened: “Sir, check in time is 15:00, it is only 14:00 so you cannot complain.”
“Sure I can compain, the people arriving two hours after me are getting their rooms and I have to wait! Why is that?”
“Because the room reserved for you still is not ready.”
“Ah, then you can give me the room number so I can get a wifi login?”
“No, as we do not know the number”
… Duh??
Finaly I lost my patience and demanded a room immediately. And I got one. The room I got was just about to be finished by the cleaning team, and was next door to one of my colleagues who just checked in and across the hall of the other colleague.
The receptionist ‘helping’ me might have been a trainee, but the manager was standing right behind her, giving me the ‘check in is as from 15:00’ nonsense.
Not a good way welcoming your guests. Not sure how their check in protocol is, but it sure needs an urgent and serious review…

Room Tip: Go for the garden rooms, they are more quiet than the street side rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DVG59
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in June 2012 for 5 nights.

Judging by the number of patrons around, the hotel was not well occupied. Essen is not a tourist destination, and the business market would be the main target.

The room is basic and compact. A fairly hard bed with a smallish loose duvet thrown on top, a single towel, a room on the main road... In all, liveable without being remarkable.

That said, the staff were obliging and helpful.

The wifi was not functional in the room, I had to sit in the lobby to receive a useable signal. Downloads were still very slow.

I had a knock on my door late at night from another occupant asking to borrow my chair: they wanted another chair so they could both sit. Again, basic room fit-out.

I would rate this 3 star plus rather than 4 star. It's really just for businessmen on a tight expense account.

Room Tip: Even though facing a main road, traffic noise was not intrusive.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business