“I expect better”

Sheraton Essen Hotel
Ranked #11 of 69 Hotels in Essen
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The bad :
1 - room like a sauna. AC was either hot air or warm air. Thank god there was a window which opened ( which makes a nice change ! )
2 - No power points on the desk. Where do you charge your laptop, phone etc ?
3 - no wifi in the room. There is a cable, but at €5 / hr.
4 - Breakfast buffet is €29. Food was ok ( i.e. at the expected level ), €10 - €15 would be a more realistic price.

The good :
Waiting staff at breakfast were great. Polite, friendly, kept the coffee topped up.
Bed was comfortable

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonEssen, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear lain5Lewis,

Thank you for taking time to review the Sheraton Essen Hotel on tripadvisor.

We are very happy to hear that you appreciated our friendly waiting staff as well as our new, comfortable beds.

I am sorry to hear that you faced some issues during your stay.
In reference to the internet we unfortunately have to tell you that it is currently provided by an external vendor and that we are unable to offer this service free of charge.

However, we will take it into consideration when it comes to finding a new solution. We apologise for any inconveniences you may have experienced.

Moreover, we would like to excuse ourselves for the air conditioning which did not work properly. Please be informed that in such a case we would be glad to arrange a change of room upon availability.

We would be pleased to welcome you back soon at our Sheraton Essen Hotel and to persuade you of our service.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at Sheraton Essen a few times,... It is not really a friendly hotel but whatnwe experienced the last time is samefull. We entered as fresh Platinum members. We got a room on the 5th floor,... I asked the lady at the counter if we could,get one bed in stead of two twins,... She said yes. When she gave me the keys, I asked if I got club floor acces,..... she went to another bureau, came back and then she said yess. I asked forfree internet acces,... not in Essen. I asked if it was possible to get an upgrade,.... not today no suites available,.... When we came to our room,.... we saw two twin beds,..... I went back and she looked like she did not knwo I asked for one bed. Then we got an old ugly bad smelling room instead,'... Oh yes with a small double bed, bot,even a queen,... i took internet acces and looked online,... Suites available,.... New rooms too and even the big suite was available. Sheraton Essen, if you treat your Platinum members like this you should be ashamed. We will never ever come again! The holiday inn Express where we also stayed is much better.

Room Tip: Stay away at his hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SenJAntwerpen
SheratonEssen, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear SenJAntwerpen,
Thank you very much for reviewing Sheraton Essen Hotel on tripadvisor.

I fully understand that you, as a SPG Platinum member, were disappointed during your stay at our hotel and I feel sorry that you have been treated the way described.

Therefore I would like to sincerely apologize, also on behalf of my team, for all the inconveniences that you have experienced. This is indeed not at all according to our high Sheraton Service Standards and not at all the way as you should expect to be treated as a loyal guest and a long term Platinum member in the SPG program.

I would further like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, as this provides us the opportunity to improve our services in the future.

Please let me assure you, that I approached these issues within the team in order to avoid such unpleasant experiences in times to come.

Please contact us and we will make sure that you feel most welcome and comfortable during your next stay with us.

With best regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I spent 3 nights here in a classic room with a city view (view of the hotel entrance) and was very disappointed with the room. The biggest problem was the noise - from the hallway (doors slamming), neighboring rooms (talking next door, walking on the floor above me), and outside (frequent taxis in and out). There was no noise dampening and sound traveled too easily. My room on the first floor was dated (see photos), the carpeting was warn, and the bed was very soft and uncomfortable, to the point that my back ached. The TV remote didn't work well, one had to push the buttons extremely hard to function. Finally, the heating in my room was insufficient as it never warmed up when the old temperature controller was at its warmest setting.

As an SPG Gold member, I was disappointed to not receive any kind of room upgrade or a preferred view. When inquiring about this at checkout, I was told that my room rate was 'special' (I booked through Starwood's website) and that most guests paid more than me. I did pre-pay at a rate of US$ 180/night, but I guess that was too low of a rate to receive a preferred room.

Service was also disappointing. The first morning, I hadn't put a "do not disturb" sign on my door and at 8:45am, the cleaner simultaneously knocked and opened my room door. That's totally unacceptable. On another day, I was scolded in German by an employee who was scrapping the ice off the drive -- I was supposed to walk on the sidewalk that I hadn't seen. Definitely not a way to treat customers.

A few nice things: the room was clean and the free coffee (not instant) was appreciated. The bathroom was spacious and the shower worked well. Also there is free and fast internet in the lobby. I didn't eat breakfast since it wasn't included in my rate, and the US$ 40 price was too high for me.

Room Tip: Don't book a classic room, as you will regret it. Also ask for a park view, since my city view...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonEssen, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Flythe Tail,

Thank you very much for rating Sheraton Essen Hotel on tripadvisor.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay has been disappointing for you.

Certainly, we understand that you have not been satisfied with the answer you received from our front office associate regarding your room upgrade. Due to our low availability of suites and a convention which took place during your stay, we were not able to upgrade your room.

Please be sure that we regret the circumstances and that we are always trying to upgrade our gold and platinum members upon availability.

Moreover we apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced trough our housekeeping team in the morning. Of course, this situation is not acceptable and we advised our housekeeping team to act more sensitive and to make sure that this won’t happen again at all in the future.

We hope to welcome you again at the Sheraton Essen Hotel and to show you our improvements.

The Team of Sheraton Essen Hotel is looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed again at the Sheraton Essen which I know for nearly 2 decades. There has been extensive renovation, lobby bar and restaurant appear in a new and more modern design. The superior room was spacious (with Park view, much better than city view!); design was 'classic' (ie not very modern) and the room was in great shape, not dated at all (probably recently renovated). The bathroom is tiny (with bathtub) and the design is so outdated it is almost cute (if you have a heart for the 1980s), very clean (regardless, this is not a bathroom for a 5* hotel in 2013). Staff was friendly, check-in/out was efficient. Overall, after some disappointment in the past this was a pleasant stay. Value for money may depend on your rate, ours was only 79€ -great value for money indeed!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
SheratonEssen, Director of Sales at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Norm268,

thank you for reviewing Sheraton Essen Hotel on tripadvisor.com.

I am happy to hear that you were pleased with your stay and that you enjoyed the park-view of your room.
Good to know you liked the renovations we did in the past and experienced a good value for money.

Please be informed that the renovation of bathrooms is lacking behind and that we are already discussing how to deal with this in the future.

We would love to welcome you back at Sheraton Essen Hotel sometime soon.

Daniela Dall`Asta
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during my businness trip. Sheraton is good enough: comfortable hall and lobby-bar, wonderfull stuff, various and tasty breakfast (even shampane), cosy rooms. you can find coffee-machine with coffee, tea,sugar and cup in the room. everyday cleaning.
and you can find taxi oposite the hotel anytime. it takes 30 minutes to Dusseldorf airport.
stuff is very helpfull, good english speaking.
good location - 10 minutes to the centre of the town, to railway station.
everything was good enough, but for me hotel had 1 big minus: no free wi-fi, even in the lobby.
you have 30 minutes at 1 day, but then you have to pay more then 10 euro daily. IMHO it's too much.
it is 4-star hotel for businness, so Internet is neccesary like oxigen.

Room Tip: dont take smokers room. walls smell awfully
1  Thank alexandragv
SheratonEssen, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Alexandragv,

Thank you for taking some time to review Sheraton Essen Hotel on tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and more importantly that our team was able to make you feel welcome at anytime throughout your stay.

As far as Wi-Fi is concerned I unfortunately have to tell you that it is currently provided by an outside vendor, meaning that we are unable to offer this service free of charge. However we will take into consideration your feedback in the future when it comes to finding a new solution.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Located outside of the very city, but close to opera house, concert hall, Folkwang Museum. I got a room with a nice view on the park. Everything is fine, except the insufficient isolation against noise from the neighbour room... I was in a room with a (locked) door to the neighbour room which let every noise through and thus I had to participate at the neighbour's TV evening till after midnight .....

1  Thank wolfgang s
SheratonEssen, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear wolfgang s,
Thank you for taking time for giving us feedback on tripadvisor.

I am happy to hear that you found the location of the Sheraton Essen Hotel to be convenient and enjoyed the park-view of your room.

Unfortunately you have been disturbed by the room located next to yours due to the fact that you have stayed in a room with a connecting door. We are very sorry for that!
Please be informed that we are happy to arrange a change of room during your stay if we have the availability.
Just let us know if there is a problem during your stay already, so we are able to take care of it, to make your stay pleasant.

The Team of Sheraton Essen Hotel wishes you a merry Christmas and all the best for 2013!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on two occasions in December. The experience was just OK. This is an average hotel, definitely not a 5 star. Most of the other Sheraton hotels I have stayed in have been superior. However, being in Essen, I did not expect much. The hotel is within short walking distance from the train station and main pedestrianized shopping area. The city is beautiful around Christmas, with the markets and decorations. Like others have said, the rooms are quite dated. The internet service is quite poor and frustrating. It would be much more convenient to have wi-fi service, than the current cable system. The TV selection is really lacking. There is only a handful of English channels, none of which you would call “entertaining” The movie selection is a joke. It is almost amusing to scan through the horrible limited selection of films. The gym is very small. Could hardly be considered a gym, but works for your basic needs. I wish that there was also a good selection of free weights and a little more space. The spa section with the saunas is quite nice and relaxing after a hard days work. There is also a park right outside the back door, which is nice for a jog or stroll. Overall OK experience. Nothing special.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
SheratonEssen, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Essen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear alspeece,

Thank you for spending some of your precious time on reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor.

It is a pity that your stay at Sheraton Essen Hotel has not been special for you as we always try to provide excellent service to our guests.

Unfortunately we are not able to provide a bigger gym as we do not possess the facilities. However we are happy to hear that you made use of our direct access to the park in order to get some fresh air and motion.

Further I would like to let you know that we forwarded your concerns about the internet connection to our IT team to find a proper solution to resolve the problem. Please be informed that we are already planning to renovate our rooms in the future.

We hope that even though not everything worked out perfectly for you, you had a nice stay at Essen and would consider staying with us as again in the future.

The Team of Sheraton Essen Hotel wishes you a merry Christmas and all the best for 2013.