“Small business hotel”

Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Essen
Krefeld
“Small business hotel”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

It is a small hotel. The rooms are functional. It's not the newest equippment, but clean. The bathroom is very tiny with a small shower. Unfortunately there was lot of traffic- noise from the street outside.
The city and the shopping mall "Limbecker Platz" are near-by.
The garage is old and tiny for a big car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Essen City Centre, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Dini646,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to see that you found our room clean and functional. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wotton-under-Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Good centrally hotel, good simple food. The Snitchel and steaks were great.
Very close to the large Christmas markets
Very friendly staff, especially the barman. Parking is a little expensive and the entrance to the car park is very tight.
All in all, a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mr_P23
Ulrich S, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Holiday Inn Essen City Centre, responded to this review, June 27, 2016
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Holiday Inn Essen City Centre. We are happy that you could enjoy our menu! Of course, we are very very happy about your comment regarding our staff, as we are quite proud of our team.

We would be happy to welcome you again very soon.
With kind regards,
Ulrich - Guest Review Team

Greater Munich
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent one night there in a suite that was far from elegant but spacious, comfortable and spotless clean. We had dinner included and enjoyed every course. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style, sumptious, delicious and with a great choice of foods. What we remember most is the outstanding friendliness of the entire staff. So why only four stars? 14 euros for an overnight stay in the garage is simply too pricey. And the entrance/exit area is by far the most narrow I've ever experienced. The entire walls are full of scratches. Better don't use their garage if you like your car. Anyway, we had an overall very positive stay in the Holiday Inn Essen and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fritzlar, Germany
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip and I was really not satisfied. Okay, I booked a double room and I got a suite but this is not usual. But the price was very high and additional you have to pay for the garage. The sauna is unacceptable: there is no changing room, no lockers, nothing. You enter the sauna and stand directly in the relaxing area. You have to change there and there is also no space to deposit your clothes.
the breakfast is good except of the coffee and the red wine at the bar isexpensive but very good. I only booked this hotel because I'm priority club member and I expected much more.

Essex
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed recently at this hotel, booking 1 Suite for myself, plus 2 twin rooms for employees. I used to stay here regularly, but this is the first time I have done so for several years.

The twin rooms turned out to be 2 singles pushed together to make a double. It was not possible to pull them apart, as the bedside tables were fixed to the wall. Apparently this passes as a twin.

The Suite was extremely poor. It was just an ordinary room with a wall between the bedroom and sitting area. None of the usual extra amenities were present – no robe, slippers, toiletries etc. It was also quite small – I have had larger standard rooms at this hotel.

The hotel website advertises a music sound system, but there wasn’t one. It also advertises a fully stocked fridge, but again this was untrue (unless you count the mini-bar).

In all the rooms, towels were frayed and bedding was heavily worn.

Particularly annoying however was the lack of housekeeping. Beds were made, and towels folded, but no extra supplies were given – not even toilet paper! I had to ring down to Reception for tea, coffee, milk and toilet paper for 2 of our rooms – a very sorry state of affairs in any hotel.

I had fully intended to complain to the Manager, but when I went down to check-out, there were already more than 20 people queuing to do so, and only 2 Receptionists working. When I got to the front of the queue the hotel then tried to overcharge me by over $150 for extra breakfasts – this despite the fact they had the correct paperwork, it was just that the IT system insisting on the extra money. By the time this was all sorted I was already late for my last meeting, and did not have time to complain.

So I emailed the hotel when I got home. I got a response from the manager, in which he admitted that overcharging for breakfast was normal, and only when guests complain is it corrected!

He had no interest in the general shoddiness, or lack of room supplies including toilet paper – apparently this is something that “housekeeping could improve on”. Music sound systems were also “available from reception”.

I stay in a lot of hotels, and I would rate this as a poor 3 stars. I think the hotel management is trying to cut every corner it can.

Its fine if you can get a cheap room, because that is all this is worth.

The only plus point was that the hotel seemed quite clean.

1 Thank Lawrenson

Travelers are raving about these Essen hotels

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Everything is great. Clean and big room. One double bed. Good restorant at the lobby. Nice and kind people. Free wi-fi which is unusually for Germans. Hotel located near the downtown, but it's not very noisy.

• Stayed October 2012
Ulrich S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Essen City Centre, responded to this review, February 11, 2015
Dear guest,

thank you so much for your kind review. We are happy to share your feedback with the entire team! You are right that we offer free WifI to all our guests - we have been one of the first hotels in the area offering this.

We would be happy to welcome you again very soon.
With kind regards
Ulrich Schreiber
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here for just one night to break up my journey from Berlin back to the UK.

The location is great and it looks lovely from the outside. Car parking is easy and underneath the hotel itself.

I had the deluxe room which had a separate lounge and was clean and tidy. The bathroom had only a shower (which I'm fine with) and it was a proper power shower! If it was any more powerful it would probably break the skin! Haha!

Bar area and food area was good, beware if you are a UK traveller that they are still aloud to smoke inside here, I arrived got showered and changed then popped down for a quick beer, by the time I returned to the room I stank of smoke. I don't normally have a problem with smoke, but this really did smell strong.

Breakfast was usual Euro style with a pretty good selection.

Generally all was good about this place and would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: I had room 111, this was perfect for what I wanted and was very quiet.