“#2” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hausbrauerei Zum Schlussel

Hausbrauerei Zum Schlussel
Ranked #34 of 1,775 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Altstadt
AMS
“#2”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Here you can enjoy nice dinners, not too expensive.
Beer is a bit sweeter than Uerige, but for me #2.
Saturday night needs reservation, but check the reservations cards and if 1 hr is enough for you, sit down if the waiters do not object.

Visited October 2012

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tha Sala, Thailand
“Good beer, good food, huge portions, lively atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I visited Dusseldorf for a few hours on a Tuesday evening with two colleagues while staying in a nearby town. We had dinner here and really enjoyed it.

We were looking for a typical German restaurant, and were not disappointed. Even though the place was huge, and despite the fact that it was a Tuesday evening, the restaurant was completely full. (It was therefore very noisy, so stay away if you are looking for a peaceful ambiance.)

The beer was really nice, as was the food. The portions were massive, and for any meat-lovers this is the place to eat. The menu includes the aptly-named "Butcher's Plate", which is a huge platter of meat for three people. Vegetarians are also catered for, I had a veggie meal and really enjoyed it.

The service was very good, even though the place was so busy. It is also inexpensive, at roughly €12 for a main course.

• Visited November 2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

How great to find a place that is really humming and packed out with good Dusseldorfers of a certain age all enjoying themselves and tucking in to the good home cooking. On a Tuesday night!! I had wonderful black pudding (home made) with apple and potato mash, a local speciality, and my husband had bratwurst. We shared the plates. Beer slips down!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank cityjaneLondon
Lawrence, Kansas
“Just what we wanted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We asked some locals at the winefest for restaurant advice, and they recommended several breweries. This was the first one we saw. It was our first day in Germany; I wanted bratwurst and my husband wanted sauerbraten. He had the good beer, I chose another white wine. We got exactly what we wanted, including the red cabbage I asked to have added to my order. Indeed, it is sort of like comfort food, wonderful German comfort food. Outside the place was crowded and bustling, but inside it was quiet and we chose inside, where the service was fully attentive and friendly. I liked the motto printed on the wall: "Is was gar ist, trink was klar is, sag was wahr ist."

• Visited August 2012
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
“Very good, comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had a very nice dinner here, accompanied with a few glasses of the also very nice homebrew.
After receiving the bill we had to check a few times if everything was on it as we expected much larger total amount.

Lookin over the menu it's mostly real high quality comfort food and then plates full of it.
I certainly keep this in my addressbook for future use.....

• Visited April 2012