“Napoleon's choice and I can oly agree”

Brauerei zum Schiffchen
Ranked #81 of 1,781 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Description: Situated in the Old Town, the restaurant/brewery “Zum Schiffchen“ is the oldest restaurant of Düsseldorf. People from Düsseldorf and also those just visiting say it is a typical original Düsseldorf restaurant. Atmosphere, furniture and food are guarantors of originality as much as the blue-aproned “Köbesse“ – the waiters – who “celebrate“ their service with humour and the typical Düsseldorf dialect – to the great joy of guests and travel groups from other countries. The restaurant was first mentioned in the chronicles of 1628, and we are proud of having had even Napoleon among our patrons. Nowadays, it is not so much the refined French habits and cuisine but a certain rusticity and joy that make this restaurant so popular.
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Although I am not into beer, this place serves traditional German food at its best!

located in the Altstadt, which already is a beauty to visit, they serve great food (Sauerbraten mit Knödel, and so much more) Just got to love it,

it is a bit more upscale than the other famous Bräuhser in Düsseldorf, and that is a great thing!

Date of visit: May 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed August 21, 2016 via mobile

Having spent a long weekend in Düsseldorf we had waited until our final night before attempting the pork knuckle experience. After searching TA this place seemed best placed and we weren't disappointed. This place is definitely more geared to food than the other bierhalls we went to - Uerige etc - where the emphasis is very much on beer. Food was terrific and service good, without being exceptional - seemingly the norm in Düsseldorf. Altbier as good as anywhere else but the custom of bringing a fresh one until you put a beer mat on top of your glass is a lot more relaxed here. A sign that tourist friendly, as were the diverse mix of customers. Don't let that put you off as the food is authentic German with the grumpy waiters to go with it. Recommend the roast knuckle over the boiled version, for the exceptional crackling and sauerkraut. Please go, you will enjoy.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 17, 2016

We were taken to this Pub by a native german. And as it was my first time down there.. we ordered all of the traditional german platters.. asparagus, sausage.. It was amazing!! I ordered my first beer (bear in mind I am 30 and don't like beer). This one was soo delicious!!! What a great evening to sit outside! It was a warm summer night! And soo many people out due to the Dusseldorf Trade Show. What a great ambiance.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed July 30, 2016 via mobile

If you still haven't found a veal schnitzel while in Germany/Düsseldorf, because that's the best schnitzel there is - then this is your place.

Went a bit late at night, so the grilled pork knuckle was a bit chewy (only the crackling), but the schnitzel was excellent.

They have some great beer as well, so all in all well worth a visit if you're after German food one day.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 26, 2016

I ate here with my wife. The menu consist of typical German dishes. I had the sausages with sauerkraut. And i really like it, the sauerkraut wasn't to 'sauer', luckely for me.

I also liked the homebrew beer, I think it is the best of the five Altbeers from Dusseldorf.

Date of visit: July 2016