“Great enviroment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zum Uerige

Zum Uerige
Ranked #12 of 1,775 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Pub, Central European, Brew Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Cash Only, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Düsseldorf, Alemania
“Great enviroment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I came with friend to this bar, it´s a good option to take a "altbier" from Germany and taste little snacks like meatballs or sausages from the region.
You have to be patient because it´s full all the time, but you will feel that you are in a typical tavern from the old German school.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pijnacker
“Zum Uerige - What an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

INn the Alstadt of Dusseldorf you will find several breweries which are fanastic to visit. When I am in Dusseldorf - and I will be there in a forthnight to come I do allways visit my favourite Brewery in the Altstadt - The Uerige Brewery. When you are down there after a Saturday shopping afternoon it is a big experience to have a few of the lovely beers they offer. When it is noticed you finished one they serve you simply another without even asking for one. Also the food comes lovely with the beer from this Brewery. Ans another thing: The Germans also loves thsi place.

• Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The most bizarre and downright disgusting bar service I've encountered”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I never normally write reviews on Trip Advisor, although I do read them. My husband and I happened to be in Dusseldorf in mid-September this year and decided to visit Zum Uerige after seeing it on the BBC in the UK. We visited at approximately 7pm. Now, to clarify, we had spent two weeks traveling around Germany. We are aware how German bar service generally works. At 'Zum Uerige' however, it's quite confusing. The establishment has an outdoor area on two sides of the street that it occupies. One the far side, opposite the actual establishment, is an area where beer is sold over a bar. So, this means you can either stand at a table and a server will come up and bring you a beer and mark on your beer mat how many you've had so you can settle up at the end OR you can walk over and buy a beer. Now, when we arrived, my husband went to buy two glasses of beers. Meanwhile, I stood at a table. A server walked up to me and said nothing. No gestures, no expression, no words, nothing. He had a tray with mainly empty glasses and a couple of full ones. I said, in English, that my husband was getting drinks at the bar. He asked 'Why?', looked me up and down like I was a piece of dirt and then turned away and crossed himself in some sort of religious way. I was absolutely dumbstruck as I had barely interacted with him and had politely said that my husband was buying drinks...FROM ONE OF HIS COLLEAGUES IN THE SAME ESTABLISHMENT. The server then proceeded to refuse to serve us later on when my husband had finished his beer. We spent the next 20 or so minutes being eye-balled by the server, which made us feel incredibly awkward, to the point where we decided to leave, particularly after my husband asked him if everything was ok, to which the server replied 'I don't understand you' in near perfect English. Now, I'm assuming that the guy was obviously having a bad day or was suffering a boat of religious mania. I don't believe for one second the national stereotype of Germans being rude, because I've traveled the length and breadth of the Germany and have encountered lots of nice people and excellent service in shops, bars and restaurants.
'Zum Uerige' need to take a serious look at the system they have in place for serving customers and point out that patrons need to be in a specific area if they are getting service from the bar. They should also offer some sort of psychiatric counseling to their staff, who feel it's appropriate to cross themselves after a short interaction with a polite customer who didn't require service. Downright bizarre and quite unnerving.
If you fancy going to an establishment where you run the gauntlet of being verbally abused by the staff in order to get a couple of glasses of quite mediocre dark beer, then 'Zum Uerige' is the place to go!

• Visited September 2013
9 Thank alaina d
Seville, Spain
“Great German place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Great Beer, but short list of food. Very recomendable to go alone of with friends, just in the City Old part

Visited September 2013
Moscow, Russia
“Good to spend the time and relax with beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Walking through the city, thinking of the place where I can have a supper, I found this place in the center of old city. Full of people, sitting and drinking beer from small 0,33l glasses, talking loudly. It was funny to see people who sit on small barrels and using big beer barrels as tables in different corners of huge restaurant. It seem like it is a maze then rastaurant. But I like it.
Friendly staff quickly comes and offer beer, some cold starters. Menu is rather short but I think enough to have smth to eat with beer. Do not think of real supper/meal there. Really BEERHOUSE.
So I can recommend that place with good prices, perfect atmosphere of beer house and friendship. Center of the city location support my choice :)
P.S. As I remember (though it was March) - outdoor seats available.

• Visited March 2013