“A good stopover”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pempelfort
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I seem to end up here on every business trip to Dusseldorf. This time I stepped in for a brunch and ended up with the Goulash. As always the service was good and the food pretty good. Prices are reasonable. There is always quite a crowd and it is lively and now has a fun Christmas atmosphere. They make real coffee here. Last year I had a breakfast and it was great and 1/2 the price of the hotel. I will probably go again next year. I rated the food average but that is average in a good way, very edible. This is like a really good German diner with a much nicer than diner interior.

2  Thank Pjay99

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Florian is a nice to place to have a drink. I am a bit more reserved for a lunch or a dinner.
The menu is very varied, and everyone should find something he likes. We ordered a burger and a "baked camembert". I did not try personally the cheese, but I could not help thinking that they got it at Aldi or Metro, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and add a bit of decoration. Well I heard it was fine but you could probably do exactly the same at home very easily.

My burger was good, no issue there. I just wished they brought real ketchup or mayo bottles instead of 1 tiny bag of each. First, that's not a lot. Secondly, it feels more like a canteen or a fast-food than a restaurant "in the style of the Belle Epoque" (as they say).
Finally, we shared a piece of cheesecake. Obviously not homemade, but some industrial cake quickly heat up with a touch of whipped cream like to say "hey we did something". The cake was not bad, but did not taste like real cheesecake.

The service was excellent and quick, and the ambiance is really good too. As a bar, I'd give it a good 4 "star" review. But as a restaurant, I feel the food was too average to deserve it.

1  Thank DrNeko
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Saturday morning, time for a rich German breakfast. A bit of a let-down. Everything average, little box of butter and cheese like on a cheap hotel. Low quality Coffee and super sweet fruit salad. Also quite expensive. The place has an old authentic atmosphere, but for food quality search another place.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Staying in Dusseldorf for a night on business and a friend who lives locally took us here for dinner. Had a fantastic evening, its the sort of place you wish was on the corner of your street at home. The setting was very cosy inside and had a good buzz about the place and plenty happy laughing people which helps. The menu all looked good and they will give you an English menu if you need it. I went for the Beer Meat with dumplings which was very hearty, and the big beers washed it all done perfectly.

The waiter was very friendly and full of banter and we did not feel rushed at any stage. he even convinced us to have a last small dark beer which finished the evening of perfectly.

3  Thank haggisinlondon
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The atmosphere was very French bistro and friendly. We were there with friends for dinner and the menu had too much to offer... This definitely a place to meet up with friends for drinks/beer/wine before going out to dinner....or possibly afterwards. Bring cash - no credit or debit cards!!