“Very pleasant stay”
Review of Hotel Herzog

Hotel Herzog
Ranked #174 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Actually, my stay was in May of 2012 but I've been terribly lazy.
The e-mail correspondence was prompt so an international traveler like myself had little to worry about.
The rooms are quiet, the staff is ever so sweet, and the location is ideal. It's a quick cab ride over to the Rhine and Altstadt.
I left my glasses in the room and they worked so hard to getting them delivered to my next destination in Munich.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had to be in Dusseldorf/Cologne in the last minute for a trade fair and this was one of the few hotels with a double room available. I would have changed hotels but the hotel insisted on a full payment in adavanace and the whole city was full with two trade fairs and it was impossible to get a room anywhere. The hotel took advantage of this and the room prices were phonomenal.

The hotel has an appealing entrance with a nice feel to it, but in the hotel outside the entrance area all the carpets are stained black. The room was the smallest room of any hotel I have ever stayed in, with no room for a chair or desk. There were two single beds with enough space to stand between them, a small wardrobe at the entrance with a place to put one suitcase and one small bedside table for both beds.
As I entered the room it struck me that the room smelled of mould. The outisde wall was wet under the window taking up the whole space facing the outside and had been recently painted in an attempt to hide the problem and the paint was peeling off. To alleviate the problem the staff had left the window open, and the room was cold. I closed the window and waited for the room to heat up. The radiator could not cope and the room stayed cold the whole night. I went down to reception to complain and was told, what do u want? it is cold outside.! I replied the room should be as warm as in the reception area.I was told there was nothing that could be done. I asked for an electric heater and was told not tonight, tomorrow they would ask the owner and the next day they brought the heater, which sufficed.
The bed had on the side a large headboard that run the side of the bed and was fixed to the wall to keep the wall from getting dirty. In the night I turned over and it fell down, and fortunately did not hit me and slid down the side of the wall between the bed and the wall. I told the staff several times and nothing was done about it duting my stay. The hotel did not offer the discounted travel tickets the city provides for hotel guests,
As a balance the desk staff was nice and pleasant and the breakfast good, but this can not balance the basic lack of amenaties such as a clean healthy enironment in the bedroom and
I would strongly advise against using the hotel. Be warned!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mmz123
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Came to the Rehacare Exhibition and booked from the Messe site. The staff were fantastic I thought it was all family run but they were actually just a terrific group of dedicated employees.

Nothing was too much trouble and they were so keen to offer assistance. Easy walk to the main section and trains. So if yo want to have ease of access and save money and get good service this is the place. Definately will be my choice for business or pleasure when back in town.

General shopping including Aldi within 5 mins walk. Great restaurant across the road Greek Kiss and Italian restaurant just one block down both fantastic food and value for money also.

Room Tip: there are 4 levels and no lift, so if you have a problem with stairs, ask for first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank George M
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Hotel Herzog is located in a good location, turn right out of the hotel and its one straight road to Konigsalle (chic shopping) this stroll takes 10 mins. A further 5 mins takes you to the Altstadt (Old Town). We paid 60 euros a night, the rooms were spotless, the powershower just what the doctor ordered after a night on the Alt beer. People at the reception could not do enough for us, giving directions and ideas where to go. We travelled from the airport via taxi, 22 euros, which we thought was very reasonable. The old town was great, lots of people watching when sat outside of the many bars located here, a drinkers paradise, but not cheap, 2 small beers cost in the region of 5 euros, but it was well worth it. We will be returning to Dusseldrof and will stay at the Herzog again, try it you won't be dissapointed. My only gripe was the traffic noise, we were in room 1 on the first floor, but this did not spoil our weekend break

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Just stayed here for the second time and it was even better.
Only 65 Euros a night, 10-15mins walk from the Altstadt (in a straight line down 1 street, Konigsalle, no chance of getting lost!)
Very friendly staff and free Internet too!
Looking forward to my return

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Let me start by saying that I would have given this hotel a much higher rating if management had not broken their own policy as well as outright lie to us.
The hotel itself is ok. Its clean and the receptionist was friendly. It is located in a good spot and a short walk to old town.
Our second night there, a group of 12-13 german kids checked in. They were roudy, drunk, extremely loud. It didnt help that the walls in this hotel are extremely thin and a door slamming on the third floor can rattle your headboard on the first floor. A man outside was complaining about the guys breaking beer bottles. Oh, and all of the rooms are connected by a nice ladder right outside your window.
So we talked to the receptionist about the issue, and made plans to stay at another hotel so we could get a good night sleep before flying out the next day. Their "POLICY" states that if we had canceled the day before, we could get refund, but anytime after that, and they will only refund 20% of your money.
OK, fine, the receptionist was on the phyone with management, right in front of us, and they said when they came in later that week, they would refund 20% to our card. I felt bad for the receptionist, it wasnt her fault, but that of the other guests.
Anyways, we got back state-side, and after 2 weeks of no refund, my girlfriend sent booking.com an email about the refund. Hotel herzog's response... was that they "have a nice safe hotel in a quiet district of the city" and that we left on our own accord, so they would not be refunding anything.
So not only did they lie to our faces, but they broke their own policy... and you can read the policy for yourself on booking.com. Because of bad buisiness practice, I recommend you spend your money elsewhere, at a place that values their word and customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank topherboy31
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We booked a long weekend stay in this hotel because their were very few other options. The hotel was fairly basic but comfortable. They are in the process of installing a lift which will make the top floors much more accessible. The location was great and we could easily walk to most areas of the city we wanted to visit. The real plus point of this hotel was the staff. They went out of their way to be friendly and helpful to us, accomodating different arrival times and breakfast requests. In one of the rooms we booked there was a large step up to the ensuite which could be difficult to negotiate for children or the elderly but overall we were quite happy with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends