“Never a disappointment”

Ranked #6 of 236 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Never a disappointment”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel must rank as one of the best hotels in Europe. The location right on the Konigsallee, quality of service, rooms, decor, food and the general activity are all first rate. Starting from the concierge to the room service staff, all are extremely friendly and welcoming. The rooms are quiet and peaceful, quality of rooms perfect, room service and outlets' food quality impressive and I always look forward to the breakfast.
Being an Ambassador member helps but this hotel never fails to impress.Looking forward to my next stay end October.

Room Tip: If you know your travel plans, you can save at least 30-40% off the room rate by booking a couple of...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
InterContinental_DUS, Manager of Quality and Performance at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear SHK900,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share this wonderful review with us. We are delighted to read that you enjoy staying with us so much.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the end of October to continue our ambitious hospitality.
Kind regards,
Michaela Weisskopf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental for a few nights. The hotel is very nice, well situated (right opposite the main drag), clean and modern. The staff were unfailingly helpful, especially the girls in the Exec Lounge on Level 2 who were great and the Duty Manager. The food was pleasant. The beds were absolutely brilliant, with big stuffed pillows.

I'm only giving it three stars because of two main problems. The room service was poor. We were a group of six and each of us had cause to ring down and ask for various things over a number of days which either didn't ever arrive or had to be chased an hour or so later. I expect 5 star hotels to be much quicker and more efficient. Also our rooms on one day remained untouched and dirty at 4pm when we returned after a day out despite a cleaner being on our floor when we left in the morning.

Our main complaint was about the pool. It is next door to the hotel but can be entered via the 7th floor. Not that we got to use it. We were told when booking and subsequently at the desk that children could access it at certain hours at the weekend. This is why we picked this hotel and also why we came back from a day trip v early. However, when we went round with the kids in their swim shorts we were refused entry by a grotty Holmes Place manager. Cue, tears from the children and a wasted afternoon. When we reported this at the front desk at the hotel we got a verbal shrug. Not good enough. Having made a second later complaint the v nice duty manager took it more seriously. Not that we got access.

So overall a good hotel let down by inefficiency.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the back courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear SKCJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found our hotel well situated, clean and modern. We want every guest to receive comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

I want to extend my personal apology, and to thank you for helping us improve our hotel and services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was in room 126 for two nights, bath room very nice good power shower, room very dark and at the back of hotel,I think a Hotel of this standard needs a flat screen TV to complete the quality of service.

Reception area very spacious and the GM was really pleasant when he helped me check in, location is great, right on Konigsallee

Great shopping on Konigsallee and the old town is only a few minutes walk away, lots of good bars and the river side promenade was very lively, lovely way to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon

Dusseldorf HBF is only a 6 euro fare in taxi, from there the airport is only 5 minutes away on S Bahn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed September 16, 2012

When I decided to go to Dusseldorf first I wanted of course to choose Breidenbaher, but I've chosen IC only because they have Spa with sauna and swimming pool. And I did not regret it at all.
The situation of hotel is perfect, just right in the center. The entrance hall is impressive and nice. Check in was just neutral, not friendly and welcoming (it was a lady). The corridors and lifts are light and modern.
The standard room is quite small, but it is very well equipped, very nice and very clean bathroom with shower and bath. There is also a sound system in the bathroom, so that you can here your TV or music in the bathroom - very convenient.
The bed is very good, the pillows are great and the duvet is so soft – very, very comfortable, you do not want to leave the bed in the morning. The room is also very quiet. As many travelers mentioned - this hotel is more business hotel. The only minor thing about the room - in my room the sliding doors of the bathroom didnot shut properly, as I was alone it did not matter to me, but if I would have been with a partner I would not be comfortable with that.

You have to pay 15 euro to use the Spa, but it was worth it, as there were not too many people (I think because you had to pay for it). The swimming pool is very long, I think 25 m, so it is good to swim in after a good sauna.
Breakfast good, coffee very good, the only thing I was missing is fresh fruit, there were only a few grapes on the cheese plate. Check out extremely friendly (by a man), the concierge was also very helpful.
Overall : very, very nice, modern hotel with personal service, they even call you by your name during the wake up call- I recommend everyone to stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lulushke
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed from the 18th to the 24th of August the room was great the service was excellent .There was only one thing the drain in the shower box was blocked,first time we did not know and the whole toilet was fludded we called house keeping they sent some one to see then an other person to dry n not fix it was late at night so it made sence and told us they will fix it the next day . The day after we used it again and it was not fixed when we called the (at your service) the lady who answered was so rude and was not helpful at all n finally when they sent some one he came to clean n dry the floor not to fix it and they used the same towels we use I mean clean ones to dry the floor .This was not the first time I stayed at this hotel and as I said before it's great the lounge is great rooms as well but the toilet incident made me think twice .

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Saboka S,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations in terms of room accommodations and staff service. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the malfunctioning that happened with the bathroom facilities.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to Dusseldorf.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Staying here regularly, I always enjoy the hotels location directly on the lower end of the Koe. The lobby area is very open and lightful, great breakfast, good bar and a fantastic concierge named Felix. The little hurdles for the 5 stars are in the details - like a limited WiFi support (payable at high price).

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
InterContinental_DUS, Manager of Quality and Performance at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Katharina19,
We keep on working at our little hurdles. Meanwhile, we focus on our strengths and try to improve the rest. I am not sure if you noticed our recent change regarding the WIFI provider. Now we offer free wireless data connection in the entire hotel.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Recently stayed here on business.
Smart, modern hotel in great location in centre of the city with lots of restaurants & bars within easy walking distance.
Rooms were of a high standard, better than most InterContinentals and it were suitably quiet, despite being in a city centre and the trams running close by. Only minor quible was the old-style Catray televisions.
Strongest point was the helpful staff. I left an important item behind - when I notified the front desk they were able to quickly locate it and offer several satisfactory options for return, which I very much appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Grenalin
InterContinental_DUS, Manager of Quality and Performance at InterContinental Dusseldorf, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Grenalin,
Thank you so much for this excellent review. I shared your good comments with our Guest Experience Team. These colleagues take care of our guest needs and wishes in order to increase guest satisfaction.
Kind regards