“Clean and comfy hostel a short walk from everything”

Backpackers Dusseldorf
Reviewed June 20, 2010

A very nice hostel -- the beds were comfy, bathrooms and rooms were very clean. The staff couldn't have been friendlier. Free lockers and free wifi, along with coffee in the morning were all pros. Only a 10 mins walk to the brewery area. A great value in Dusseldorf.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 29, 2010

I stayed there for one night and it was also the first time i stayed in a hostel.
The place is just 15 minutes walking from the main station, or you can also take a bus that stops in 200 m from the hostel. It is handy to take a little lock with you to close your locker, or you can borrow one at the reception. After check-in you will get clean linen en towels. There are several rooms on different floors and several quite spacious showers and wc's. Everything is clean, no smell or whatever. Good friendly atmosfere, comfy sofas in the living room.
The breakfast is very basic - just coffee/tea and bread with some jam/butter/choco pasta/pate. In the neighbourhood i found chineese restaurant where i paid just 6 eur for a portion good for 2 persons, there is also a supermarket in 5 minutes. I can also say that it was quiet there at night, so i could sleep well. The light was not turned on during the night. Some people came late at night but they tried not to make noise.
My only note is that there are some difficulties with connecting to wi-fi internet. Some people could get access but some could not. There are also two computers in the living room, but unfortunately i couldn't use my own laptop.
If you're looking for a place to stay for a night or two and do not bother to share the room with other people than it's a good place to be.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I stayed for two nights in October in a mixed room. The place is very clean, the staff is very nice and goes out of their way to help you. The breakfast (included) is also quite adequate. WiFi is free if you are bringing a laptop, and there are 2 computers for everyone to use if you aren't. My only quibble would be that the room was a bit cold, I don't believe the heat turned on in our room at all. Still, I was warm under the generous comforter. Linens and towels are also included, and a padlock for the lockers can be borrowed with a small deposit.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This is a horrible hostel, you should never go there. The employees are really rude, and they accuse you of things you didn't do.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hants12345
Reviewed June 18, 2008

During our stay it was nice hostel but when I came back to Moscow I discovered an email from Patrick (the receptionist of Backpackers-Düsseldorf). He blamed that my friends and I have stolen (!!!) the ugly posters from the walls of this hostel and charged 20 Euro from my card for it though we did not take away anything!!! The email was very rude and full of offences and suggestions about my education (!!!)! I would never recommend anyone staying there! Only if you want to lose extra 20 Euros (or more I don’t even sure that they could blame someone for stolen sheets or smth) or to get bad recollections about the entire trip! Very poor impression! I was very disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Loki85
Reviewed February 23, 2008

This hostel has rude, surly staff, who are not helpful at all. We felt like we were imposing on the incredibly rude fellow who checked us in, and he seemed glad to get us into our room and be done with us.
When I later asked for a restaurant recommendations, the girl who was manning the desk then didn't have a clue. She seemed annoyed that she had to interrupt her personal phone call on her mobile to talk to me.
The hostel staff didn't even bother to tell us that there was a bus strike on, even after we asked them about transportation to the airport upon checking in¬!! we nearly missed our flight the next morning because they couldn't be bothered to tell us that we'd have to find alternate method of travel to the airport!!
And lastly, the hostel isn't staffed at night, so the guests are given free run of the place...the drunk, rude students who were staying in the hostel the night of our stay kept us awake until nearly 3 am.
I would not stay at this hostel ever again, and I do not recommended that you do, either!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hal F
Reviewed December 21, 2007

I stayed here for 1 night in December. This place stands out from poor quality European hostels. You have spacious and tidy rooms, lounge area with TV and 2 PCs with free internet.
I was dissapointed though that kitchen was closed after 9pm thus I could not make my tea! But majority of hostels in Europe dont even have self-service kitchens...

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo