“Very unfriendly manager”

Backpackers Dusseldorf
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Nothing like a very unfriendly service to ruin what could otherwise be an acceptable experience.

Upon my arrival, I thought the manager (and apparently sole employee) wasn't either friendly or unfriendly, but just neutral. That was fine anyway. He gave me the bed linen and towel, the door codes, showed me to my room and so on. My room was located directly under a staircase, so it was very noisy, but I was going to spend only one night and had ear plugs with me. In the morning over breakfast I said hello to him and he still remained neutral, but that was still OK.

The man showed his true colors by the time of my check-out, though. I arrived at the reception with the bed linen and the towel and he was busy talking on the phone. I didn't want to disturb him, although I'm the customer and shouldn't be seen as disturbance, but apparently I was. I put my bed linen in the container where all other bed linen was, but I didn't see any place to put the towel, so I showed him the towel in my hand with a gesture of asking where to put it. Since he never stopped talking on the phone and just made gestures with his hand, I couldn't understand where he was pointing at and ended up giving him the towel in the hand. His reaction to this was absolutely disproportionate. He exhaled in utter disgust without even looking me in the eye and angrily threw the towel away into some other container, whilst never interrupting his phone call to address me with the deserved courtesy one should show for customers. After this reaction I just put the key back in the counter and got the hell out of there. I had such a nice trip and then this guy ruined my mood with such lack of respect.

I sent him an e-mail a couple of hours after I left, letting him know how I feel and what I think of such lack of manners towards paying customers. He apologized to me with the weak argument that he had another guest on the phone and was "stressed" in the morning, and since I seemed to be in a hurry, he didn't talk to me any further. He also told me that he doesn't allow himself to treat customers that way, but judging from some reviews I read here, he does indeed treat customers rudely when he's in a bad mood.

In conclusion: it doesn't matter how affordable a stay can be, if you don't want to be mistreated by the person who is taking your money, avoid this hostel!

Room Tip: If you are willing to put up with the guy's lack of manners and still decide to stay there, avoi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Hprog

Reviewed November 13, 2013

On the morning of my checkout the staff member at the desk had the Russian girl in front of me in tears. He was telling her they only accepted cash (is it 1950?) and she only had credit cards and was in a hurry to get to the airport. The nearest bank was blocks away. I had faced the same situation upon arriving the night before, except for me it wasn't a problem- I wasn't in a hurry to get to an airport! He was quite unsympathetic towards her, I felt bad for her.
Anyways, once he was done with her he seemed annoyed that I wasn't familiar with this hostels policy of guests bringing bedsheets to the front desk but not the comforter (I brought all the bedding). It would turn out over the next several weeks of my tour of northern europe that this was the only hostel I encountered with this particular policy.
Hostel was otherwise decent, slept well, nice room mates, reasonable location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed there for one night in a shared room. Plugs are at the end of the rooms away from the beds however you have a locker and a bed! All you need. The showers were fine, they were outside the rooms

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I've been there last month, and I have a really good experience. The hostel is clean, the atmosphere it's really good and you have a good buffet for breakfast. The hostel is situated in the city center, and 15min by walk from the Train station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have stayed one night in a twin private shared bathroom with a friend. The room was small but okay. There was not many people hanging out in the hostel so it was quiet. Overall, I think this is a great hostel to stay for few nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I felt this hostel was comfortable and homely. It was quiet during my stay and there always seemed to be a bit of space. Close to supermarket which is a big plus and it is a tidy kitchen. Suitable breakfast. Staff are friendly and helpful. Not too far from central train station either. I would stay again and recommend to others.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Used this hostel for 4 nights while watching football in the area.

Good points:
Aldi supermarket near by - cheap beer/food
Easy 15 min walk from the Hauptbahnhof
Free computer
Vending machine - decent for a late night snack.

Bad points:
Bed - my mattress was terrible and the beds made a lot of noise.
Long walk to the Altstadt - a good 15-20 mins.
Shower - either scalding hot or freezing cold. I got the temperature correct first time round, 2nd time gave up after 10 minutes

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo