“Worst mattress I've ever slept in!”

Hotel Duesseldorf Mitte
Ranked #9 of 238 Hotels in Dusseldorf
“Worst mattress I've ever slept in!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Seriously, were you thinking about saving money on a mattress? Ok, I'll go one by one:
1. If you ask for a double room, does two single beds count as a double bed? Both beds tend to separate during the night and you end up falling between them to the floor.
2. It's the worst mattress I've ever slept in. My back hurt and I had a terrible night, waking up every now and then.
3. If you didn't have money to catch up with the investment of a hotel well don't do it! The tv is the smallest tv I've ever seen in a hotel in the entire world, and believe me, I've travelled all around the world. Not even in Tuticurin, India (the worst hotel I've ever stayed in) they had a smaller tv. I mean, do they actually produce that size of tv's?
4. The air conditioning didn't work. I had to open the window every now and then to chill out the room.
5. Since there is no air ventilation the bathroom smells very humid and disgusting.
6. The shower only has half glass walls, letting all the water out when you shower. The cleaning guy (yes they have cleaning guys) sure has a very hard work cleaning the difficult rooms to clean because of the terrible design and architectural errors the hotel has.
7. Other than that the hotel has a very good location close to the city center.
8. I wanted to extend my stay in the city but I changed my mind after having experienced three very long nights.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel Duesseldorf Mitte, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Arnoldtower,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on your experience at our property.
I am deeply sorry about the inconveniences caused and promise to look into your mentioned topics and work on them together with my team. Of course on the one hand to handle and optimize all defects of the room and on the other hand to make sure your hopefully soon and next stay will be at your convenience. I will also check on getting new TVs to ensure a positive guest experience.
Please let me know if there is anything I may do for you.
Best wishes,

Ulrike Sassin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is really 2 min from the central station, 2 min to Konigsallee and 15 min walk to old town.
Rooms are very comfortable. Staff very friendly. Breakfast quite good. There is also a little bar where you can have quick breakfast or a drink after dinner. Walk distance to the old town where you can find plenty of restaurants. Would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My choice of this hotel was mostly connected with it's place in the city. It's situated just 1 block from Konigsallee and 5 min walk from the railwaystation.
As I needed only B&B, I have chosen the single room, which was pretty small, with tiny bathroom & tiny wardrobe. There were 2 things I didn't like: the rooms are usually ready by 3 PM, which seems not very early, and mine was not ready also. But as the con I should say that I was given a possibility to put my suicase into the room :) The 2nd awful thing was that one morning I was woken up by awful noise from outside of the room: someone was tearing scotch for 30-40 minutes long! As my room was pretty close to the lift & stairs, such morning was not very friendly at all:)
Almost nothing was in the bathroom, liquid soap only. So take everything you need with you.
As for the breakfast, it's a con for sure. The the choice was more than OK, and not overcrowded.
As a resume: in case I will choose this hotel again, seems I will look for another type of the room.
And one of the nicest things is a city pass for the transport for all the days of yuor stay without any limits, the last day in the city included. This is a big THANK YOU;)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

A convenient clean hotel located within walking distance of both the station and the old town. I had stayed here previously and were given breakfast as included but before I booked I called the hotel to check if it was included - I was told yes but then on arrival was informed that breakfast is included on every deal EXCEPT Hotels.com and Expedia. They did offer to reduce the normal13euro charge to 9 but we voted with our feet and found great breakfast deals in town.
The rooms are clean and modern although ours at the front suffered from early morning tram noise. In order to get into the shower (over the bath) you needed to be really agile - tricky step and screen to manoeuvre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the property
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barbara H
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

This was great 3-star hotel. Its location meant we had ease of access to tram stops and only a few minutes walk from Konigsallee and then into the Altstadt. Our room key meant we had a ticket which provided free tram travel, of which we made the most and saw a lot of Dusseldorf in just four days.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights as part of our visit to Dusseldorf to see the Christmas Markets. Overall, everything about it suited us perfectly - the location, the price and the hotel in general.

The hotel is located a 6-7 minute walk from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and a further 3-4 minute walk away is Konigsallee, the main shopping street in Dusseldorf. The Marketplatz is about a 15-20 minute walk away as is the river Rhein. There is a tram stop about 200m away - see below for information on transport.

On arrival, the receptionist was very efficient and helpful, explaining to us all that we needed to know on the arrangements in the hotel, local transport, etc. We had a standard room on the third floor. We had e-mailed in advance requesting a quiet room at the back and this is what we where allocated. Whilst perhaps a little short on storage space, it was nice and modern in terms of decor and had most of the standard offerings you would expect including a safe, TV, free wi-fi - no connection problems - bathroom and shower.

Breakfast had plenty of choice. It was self-service and it runs from 06.30 to 11.00. There were notices around the hotel advising guests to avoid 9-11 at weekends and although it became busy it never appeared completely overwhelmed. A little bit better organisation of the tables would have enabled them to increase capacity. As for the food, there were breads, cereals, cold meats, fruit, yogurt and a limited number of hot items.There was also a good selection of teas and coffees plus bottled fruit juice.

One of the attractions to select this hotel was the free travel pass which gives access to buses, trams and trains in the Dusseldorf area including your return to the airport. There is a tram stop about 200m from the hotel if the walk into the centre is a little too far or if it is raining.

Trams from here also take you to the river and to the Hauptbahnhof.in the opposite direction. We found it was great just to be able to hop on and off as we pleased and also took a trip on the U Bahn to Kaiserswerth about 10km from Dusseldorf where there was a quaint Christmas Market and nice riverside walk.

Overall, were we pleased with our choice. The area around the hotel generally felt safe. There are some fast food outlets within metres of the hotel. We went to a restaurant, Maredo, one evening which is around 200m from the hotel. This is part of a German chain and there are others in the city too. The city has plenty of green spaces and we enjoyed some nice walks by the river. There are several bridges and these have pedestrian access so you can easily access the other side of the river. We imagined it would be nice to sit by the river on a warm summers evening and if we returned to Dusseldorf in the future it might well be at a different time of the year. Having been and seen the general situation, the Dusseldorf Mitte would be first place we would look at for accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Manx_on_tour
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel Duesseldorf Mitte, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Manx_on_tour,
Thank you very much for the detailed assessment of your stay with us! Beautifully that you enjoyed the time.
Your criticisms I take seriously and discuss this with the staff - these things are easy to fix.
I would be happy to welcome you again in Hotel Düsseldorf Mitte!
With kind regards from Düsseldorf,
Corinna Schuster
ware hertfordshire
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Visited this city for the Christmas markets.and for this the hotel is excellent. The reception staff were very helpful the breakfast that's served is plentiful an filling. It's central for the trams trains and is nearby to the main shopping area. The room we had was on the 2nd floor an facing the main road. Don't open the Windows if you don't like noise. There was air conditioning but we didn't use it. Beds as mentioned in previous reviews are singles joined together. I found it uncomfortable . Has to ask for tea an coffee facilities. There is a package that includes tv slippers an bath bits etc for 15 euros. But only good if you speak German. All in all a very suitable place to rest. Be warned dusseldorf closes down on Sunday. Nothing was open only restaurants an tobbaccanist

Room Tip: Our room was ok. 2nd floor. But don't open window
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple