“Good hotel, could be better”
Review of Das Carls Hotel

Das Carls Hotel
Ranked #43 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed for 10 days in April'14, which was my first stay here. Points going for it:

1. As many have pointed out, the location- Walking distance from old city market area Alstadt, from most popular bars and pubs in the area, very close to the Rhine river promenade and 5 min tram travel away from Koenigsallee- the most popular and up-market shopping street in Dusseldorf.
2. Staff- very friendly and helpful. They are willing to help you for everything in their purview without hesitation. They more than cover up for the little shortcomings of the whole experience.
3. Clean and well maintained - Cleanliness levels are among the best and so was general conditions of the rooms, bed, washroom etc. Whatever was made available was in good condition.

Here are a few things that, I felt, made it not worthy the 4 star rating I saw on a plaque just next to the entrance:

1. Location - well, yes, it is in a very good location, but at the same time you have to be ready for the consequences of being close to the heart of the city and all the bars/pubs around. 5 out of 10 days I stayed there I could hear people talking loudly late at nights on the road down below. On the week end it became pretty bad with many drunk groups coming out from the party lane, shouting, puking etc etc. you get the scene- you can hear all this till the 2nd floor. The mistake I did was keeping the window open for fresh air as the whether was very good.
2. Rooms- Though well maintained and clean, the rooms are surprisingly small, so is the wash room. Just a queen size bed and a table with chair and you have very less room even to open your luggage if bigger than airplane cabin size- well may be thats a little exaggerated, but you get the point.
3. Facilities - There is a restaurant on the ground floor, which also serves as the place for breakfast, has nothing much to mention. Food is as expected from a typical european/german restaurant. Much to my surprise there was no kettle or coffee/tea in the room, but as I mentioned before the lady at the reception was very helpful and arranged for a electric kettle in the room as soon as I checked in and I could pick up as many tea bags from the the restaurant below as I needed, no room delivery.
Heres a bigger shock: the moment I entered I was greeted by a old CRT TV on a rotatable shelf mounted 5 feet above the ground in the corner across the room...can you imagine in 2014 in a 4 star hotel in the heart of Dusseldorf, Germany the hotel room has a CRT TV with a total of 18 channels (16 of which were German, I guess).!. But it was changed as soon as I called the reception (on the 4th day, by the way, as I thought this is what I can expect) and asked for option to have more english channels on TV, with a much newer LCD Tv with about 70-80 channels and all of 4 english channels.!

Bottom line, my view- the hotel is in a good location, well maintained and has good service, but few things remain to be improved on the facilities, especially for the rates they charge during the industrial trade exhibitions that happen quite often in Dusseldorf.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floors and facing the main road Benratherstrasse.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

The hotel location is good.
Rooms are generous and comfortable.
Wireless is not really strong enough - need to be close to the room door;(
Breakfast very good selection and staff friendly.
Good choice considering all.

Price - a bit over rated but only option available during fair time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Tribolet
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Initially difficult to find as 7a is not that close to 9 and 11, its on the other side of a Multi-storey parking lot. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised when I walked inside. Nice reception area and the friendliest greeting yet. Very helpful receptionist who explained all to me and spoke English as well (I'll never improve my German at this rate although they will speak German to you if you ask). Once up in the small lift, the room key was a strange fob where you had to press the button on the door handle first and then put the fob up against it, but it worked every time so was able to get in. The room was small -although I had booked a single so can't complain- clean and functional. No free water in the room €3.50 a bottle if you drink it, and a view out to a brick wall. I've come to learn that unless you pay €150 + in German cities, don't expect too much!
Quite a few restaurants nearby but I opted to get some food from a small supermarket and stay in my room (how sad!). Free WiFi helped to pass the evening and relieve the boredom of German Television. After some initial noise the hotel was quiet and I slept pretty well.
Breakfast the next morning was nice and again the staff were very helpful.
I'd return again but this time book the double!

Room Tip: Book a double! The back rooms don't have a view, the front ones might be noisier as they look ou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location for whatever you want to do in Dusseldorf, close the the restaurants and pubs and very close the all the great shopping Dusseldorf has to offer. It is a short 2 min walk from the Rhine and around 10 minutes walk to the Rhine Tower and 15mins walk to the Media Harbour.

The staff are super helpful in answering question on how to get around.

The hotel room itself was very clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daisygirl_79
Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you want to be walking distance to the Altstadt, this is a great hotel. We stayed here on a Germany trip with our three teenage boys. It was clean and spacious, our room backed into a middle atrium so road noise was not an issue. It was not a highlight hotel, nothing special, but pleasant. The breakfast was also very good with lots of variety.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the big A + A show in Dusseldorf. Please take into account that Dusseldorf is a city I visit often (will be back again next month) and therefore have a pretty big base for hotel comparisons. Read on for what I saw as the Great, Good, Bad and Ugly with some bottom line-type comments, and then I will close by answering THE hotel review question. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Location: When you stay at the Carathotel, you are steps from the heart of the Altstadt (Old town) and, by extension, Dusseldorf itself. I rate this location as being 'very good' as a base to visit the Messe Fairgrounds but 'outstanding' for experiencing Dusseldorf itself. I have been to Dusseldorf many times before (and like trying something new every time) but have NEVER stayed at this ideal of a location. It is also worth mentioning there is a neat open air market just outside the hotel's door - especially useful in the morning. So, while you are at the heart of things here, I disagree with others that there is a downside. I did not experience any unbearable outside noise at night. of course, I stayed in November - perhaps outside noise is worse in warmer weather. Still, just TRY to top this location.

GOOD

* Service: I found the staff to be exceptional at this hotel - above what I tend to experience at other Dusseldorf hotels. I arrived too early for check-in and they graciously kept my bags in a safe place and allowed me access to an area to change and shower so I could hit the fairgrounds and begin work.

* Guten Morgan: I was pleasantly surprised to learn my reservation included the extremely generous breakfast buffet, which goes over and above the basic yogurt and bread you will encounter at most other hotels. It was great to eat as well as I did as I generally walk for nine hours straight in the fairgrounds halls. It was much appreciated.

* Room Within: While space in the hotel lobby, grounds, etc. is somewhat sparse, I found the room size itself to be relatively generous for a Euro hotel of this class. The room was clean 'enough' and generous. I stayed alone but the room size would have been okay with someone else.

BAD (Room for Improvement)

* Temperature Control: I left after a four day stay still unsure if the temperature control system ever really worked. It was an vintage radiator dial control that I set or re-set multiple times and was never really sure if it worked. It was November and chilly - the room was always warm enough but there were a few times in the morning I would have liked some kind of noticeable heat boost that never seemed to happen. Not a big deal, but it could have been under different circumstances.

UGLY

* Das television war zu alt!: There was a time not long ago that I would give a hotel extra credit if my room featured a nice flat-screen television but . . . that was then. Now, I think it counts against a hotel if my room is absent one. Yes, my room featured a small old 'cube' style television. I did not watch much television and this older model worked well enough but . . . this is a review and there is some updating needed here.

BOTTOM LINE

* While I feel many reviewers of this hotel get a little carried away at times, the fact is that reviewers of hotels on Tripadvisor are inherently negative - that the Carathotel Dusseldorf has so many reviewers singing its praises here speaks volumes. It is a very good hotel.

* I recommend staying here equally on personal time or while in town for a show. The Konigsallee U78 (messe fairground line) stop is a several minute walk. It's very manageable.

* Now, for THE ultimate hotel review question . . . when (not if) I return to Dusseldorf will I stay here again? While I like to try a different area as a base every time . . . yes, I just might make the Carathotel Dusseldorf my first multiple-time hotel stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ShoelessJeff
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very nice hotel, excellently located. I stayed twice in room 103, on the first floor and looking over the market, so I had to keep the window closed and use the AC. A small room with a single bed, but quite confortable and well equipped. Breakfast with a good choice of cereals, yogurt, different types of cheese and spreads. A bit limited, for the hotel rating, the choice of juices and drinks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com