I stayed for 10 days in April'14, which was my first stay here. Points going for it:
1. As many have pointed out, the location- Walking distance from old city market area Alstadt, from most popular bars and pubs in the area, very close to the Rhine river promenade and 5 min tram travel away from Koenigsallee- the most popular and up-market shopping street in Dusseldorf.
2. Staff- very friendly and helpful. They are willing to help you for everything in their purview without hesitation. They more than cover up for the little shortcomings of the whole experience.
3. Clean and well maintained - Cleanliness levels are among the best and so was general conditions of the rooms, bed, washroom etc. Whatever was made available was in good condition.
Here are a few things that, I felt, made it not worthy the 4 star rating I saw on a plaque just next to the entrance:
1. Location - well, yes, it is in a very good location, but at the same time you have to be ready for the consequences of being close to the heart of the city and all the bars/pubs around. 5 out of 10 days I stayed there I could hear people talking loudly late at nights on the road down below. On the week end it became pretty bad with many drunk groups coming out from the party lane, shouting, puking etc etc. you get the scene- you can hear all this till the 2nd floor. The mistake I did was keeping the window open for fresh air as the whether was very good.
2. Rooms- Though well maintained and clean, the rooms are surprisingly small, so is the wash room. Just a queen size bed and a table with chair and you have very less room even to open your luggage if bigger than airplane cabin size- well may be thats a little exaggerated, but you get the point.
3. Facilities - There is a restaurant on the ground floor, which also serves as the place for breakfast, has nothing much to mention. Food is as expected from a typical european/german restaurant. Much to my surprise there was no kettle or coffee/tea in the room, but as I mentioned before the lady at the reception was very helpful and arranged for a electric kettle in the room as soon as I checked in and I could pick up as many tea bags from the the restaurant below as I needed, no room delivery.
Heres a bigger shock: the moment I entered I was greeted by a old CRT TV on a rotatable shelf mounted 5 feet above the ground in the corner across the room...can you imagine in 2014 in a 4 star hotel in the heart of Dusseldorf, Germany the hotel room has a CRT TV with a total of 18 channels (16 of which were German, I guess).!. But it was changed as soon as I called the reception (on the 4th day, by the way, as I thought this is what I can expect) and asked for option to have more english channels on TV, with a much newer LCD Tv with about 70-80 channels and all of 4 english channels.!
Bottom line, my view- the hotel is in a good location, well maintained and has good service, but few things remain to be improved on the facilities, especially for the rates they charge during the industrial trade exhibitions that happen quite often in Dusseldorf.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Das Carls Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carat Hotel düsseldorf